Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Just wanted to have another Tikka with my Whitetail 595 223 & 7-08..both SS/syn...so now I've got a 308 in the line up...yes..they do test fire 'em....but they sure as hell don't clean them afterwards...not at all impressed with the supplied scope rings..I had in mind using Leo 2 pc bases along with Burris Signature sings and a 4200 3-9 scope...but once I got the reciever plug screws out...I noticed the T3 tapped holes are smaller than the Leo base screws I have... cry so I either re tap the receiver...find smaller metric screws...or use the supplied rings...or look for some Opti Locs...how are the supplied rings working for you T3 shooters ? All in all the new T3 series feels good..is light for sure...bolt is smooth as the 595s (maybe) the new style magazine & release suck...along with the $60 replacement/spare cost...trigger broke an average of 50 oz's...which will be turned down to around 30 oz...soon as I get the scope mounted...ammo loaded...and it quits snowing..I'll go test it out...

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know a lot of guys diss the factory rings, but I don't see the problem in them, they are very light, personally I think they line up very well, they are not as sexy as some nice vertical split rings, but they work I have shot some amazing groups with my plain ole factory rings, I think it holds things better than most would think.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
The factory rings are not the best looking but I agree that they work fine. Don't look any worse than Weaver rings and they make it easy to mount a scope of any length.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I use the factory rings on a T3 300 WSM and it has had over 500 rounds put through it in the last 3 years. Not once has the scope moved, nor has the scope needed an adjustment.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got hundreds of rounds through three or four sets of the factory rings with nothing but good results to report.

Have used the rifles pretty hard at times hunting and they've held zero and I've shot little bitty groups with lots of different ammo just about every time I've done my part.

DJ

IC B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I've used the factory rings with no issues except the looks. I've also used Burris bases and Sig rings, a rail and Burris tactical rings, Talleys and Warnes. Now I am down to a 6.5x55 using Warnes with an IOR scope. I like that combo but liked the Talleys with the Kahles, also. When I bought my first T3 in 270 WSM after they first came out, the Burris bases were my only choice. Lots of choices now. If I was to suggest one solution for most applications it would be the Talleys as they are simple, light, inexpensive and look as good as they work.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have three T3s and all are wearing the factory rings with no problems. None are big kickers, 243, 25-06 and 7-08, but after a couple of seasons they are holding well.

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
my t3 has the factory rings on it,very accurate. killed 2 bucks with it this year,i'm really liking this rifle.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My T3 Lite/.30-06 wears the factory rings. Scope is a WEAVER v9 Classic. No issues after several boxes of ammo and 1 really nasty fall during deer season.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
If you are concerned about the factory rings you can always order up a pair of Talley lightweights. That is what I did and they work really well. I bought mine from Midway for about 38 bucks. I have them on two Tikka T-3's with no issues so far.

Andy

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
If your receiver holes are indeed non-standard (mine were) then your only option is factory rings, retapping or something like Warnes that clamp on instead of screwing into the receiver.

All of the bases that come with screws will have the same issue as your Leupold bases - same size screws that don't fit into the T3.

I would have given the factory T3 rings a chance but don't really like the stainless rings on a black scope. I ordered a set of Warnes - they really do look cool with the vertical split.

Regardless of what you do with mounts, congrats on the new gun!

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a set of factory rings on my 300 WM and shoot 200 gr NPs. 1 MOA is easy with this rifle. After many rounds, it hasnt moved at all. If looks was the benchmark, I would not get the T3 at all. But, for accuracy and functionality as a hunting tool, it is hard for me to justify spending more $ on a rifle over the cost of a T3 in the SS/Syn configuration with a VXII on top. Bolt is smooth, the trigger breaks like glass and the bullet goes where I want it to...everytime. Every year when I go to MT to chase elk in some pretty nasty terrain, this rifle will be on my shoulder. I hunt public land and the getting where I need to be can put a hurting on a rifle. I elected to get a 5 and 3 shot magazine. If you want to see ugly, look at a T3 with a 5 shot mag sticking out of it! But, losing one back in the brush would suck too much to not have another at the ready.

RAS

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Deer Turd
If your receiver holes are indeed non-standard (mine were) then your only option is factory rings, retapping or something like Warnes that clamp on instead of screwing into the receiver.

All of the bases that come with screws will have the same issue as your Leupold bases - same size screws that don't fit into the T3.

I would have given the factory T3 rings a chance but don't really like the stainless rings on a black scope. I ordered a set of Warnes - they really do look cool with the vertical split.

Regardless of what you do with mounts, congrats on the new gun!

So whats the deal with the small diameter screws ?? If the scope base maker provides the larger size screws...whats up Sako/Tikka....? I'll give the factory rings a whirl...

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

W
W
My tikka t3 has optilock bases, because the ones that came with it did not fit my scope size. They work real good, no problems so far.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Factory rings are working fine on my .30-06, and I think they look good on the T3. The screws that connect the top and bottom on mine were aluminum, so I went to Lowes to the screw drawer, and found some exact replacements in blue steel.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I ordered the one piece dednutz mount and love it. They did ask when my tikka was purchased because somewhere along the line the factory changed the screw size. They ended up sending me the two different thread sizes and everything was fine. The ones that worked were a metric thread and I did not meassure them but they were real close to the 6x36 for the second set of screws.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (257man, 222ND, 257Bob, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 61 invisible), 2,626 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,690
Posts18,534,494
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.