Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I was fortunate and was able to visit both JOC and EK in their homes.

Mr Keith was not very well schooled but his wife was a schoolteacher. He dictated and she revised most of his writings.

On the issue of conflict between the two, I had the distinct impression that they got along much better in person than they did in print. They each had a “lane” and their failure to agree actually benefited both. Rivalries create that dynamic. The endless Yankees v Red Sox rivalry benefits both.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
RinB, I think you're right to a degree. The letters in the back of Gunnotes I and II, which I dug out after Mule Deer mentioned them, show that. I do think they enjoyed taking literary pot shots at each other, and vehemently disagreed on rifles for larger game. In a letter to Keith in Gunnotes I dated 1969, O'Connor wrote after reading "Safari," "you like bigger guns than I do, but that's neither here nor there. What I was thinking of is why in the hell don't you start writing your autobiography? You're a good story teller and you have had a hell of an interesting life--a kind of life that will never be seen again." Keith replied others had suggested the same thing, then noted he would be at the "NRA clambake" coming up. I think as they grew older they mellowed a bit towards each other.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I always enjoyed O’Connor’s writing. His writing was a little before my time but I have most of his books now. Elmer used to bug me for some of the reasons folks already mentioned, but I now overlook that and just enjoy the story telling side of his writing. Simply outstanding

Craig Boddington has written a few times that the feud side of things was more on Elmer’s side. Apparently, Elmer really didn’t like Jack, but Jack seemed to like to poke the bear but did not really have ill will.

I still remember when I bought one of the editions of Gun Notes at a second hand book store. It had a picture of Elmer on the cover drawing a six gun I think. The girl at the counter was like … “that guy takes himself too seriously”. I kind of feel the same thing came through more in Elmer’s writing than O’Connor’s regardless of how the men were in person

Lou

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Interesting enough is that I found a copy, first edition, of O’Conners the rifle book at a local bookshop. The tag on it was $10 and I snapped it up. Now, my neighbor is a longtime Jack fan and I had another copy so I gave him the. $10 book. My gosh, you have thought I was giving him a bar to f gold. We swap books, reloading information and stories. MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
B
Bry Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Thanks MD for starting this thread, aside from OL when I was a kid I’ve never read JOC. About a year ago an older family friend gave my college age son several boxes of hunting/gun books that ended up being stored away. I just dug them out and sure enough “The Hunting Rifle” happened to be one of them. Started it last night, looking forward to working my way through the rest of the box.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We’ve fortunate to enjoy a few really good writers.

Elmer Keith didn’t ring the bell for me. He seemed like a grouchy old know-it-all.

Adventure is the only thing you buy that makes you richer
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
As I mentioned in the O'Connor 7x57 article thread, it also appeared in his 1970 The Hunting Rifle, along with a bunch of his other of his classic articles. A pile of the books were printed over the years, including a paperback edition, and you can find them on-line for as little as $20 or so.

Another book I can recommend is the one by the professional hunter pictured in the 7x57 article, Harry Manners, titled Kambaku. Manners started out as an ivory and meat hunter in the 1930s (not always legally), eventually becoming a legal PH after WWII, when among many others he guided the O'Connors. One very interesting thing about Manners is he used the same 1930s Model 70 Winchester .375 H&H for almost all his hunting, using the factory open sights and Winchester factory "solid" ammo. His book is not as "affordable" as The Hunting Rifle, but well worth it to anybody interested in African hunting.

[Linked Image]
Just ordered "KAMBAKU" by Harry Manners on Ebay. smile

Last edited by elkhunternm; 10/23/23.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by AdventureBound
We’ve fortunate to enjoy a few really good writers.

Elmer Keith didn’t ring the bell for me. He seemed like a grouchy old know-it-all.

He was a marketing genius...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by RinB

Mr Keith was not very well schooled but his wife was a schoolteacher. He dictated and she revised most of his writings.

On the issue of conflict between the two, I had the distinct impression that they got along much better in person than they did in print. They each had a “lane” and their failure to agree actually benefited both. Rivalries create that dynamic. The endless Yankees v Red Sox rivalry benefits both.

If Lorraine "revised" (and maybe typed?) most of his writings, then she was a poor typist, and possibly poor proofreader.

Have noted before that I know several editors who worked with Elmer's copy. More than one made the comment that his manuscripts were rough--and the word "shot" (which of course appeared frequently) often used an "i" instead of the "o," which is of course a typing mistake, since they're next to each other on the standard keyboard. Perhaps she edited his dictation, and Elmer typed the manuscript.

Have letters from both Keith and O'Connor on the wall of my office. Wrote them both in the late 1970s--Keith to ask about handloads for the .338-06, and O'Connor to tell him what an influence he'd had on my writing "career" (which at that point consisted of two article sales, one on flyfishing for trout in the Wyoming winter to Sports Illustrated, and one to Gray's Sporting Journal about an elk hunt).

Both wrote back immediately. Responded to O'Connor's letter, but he passed away before it reached him.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That you never received a reply makes me sad! My claim to fame, as it were, is I'm friends with the two cowboys who drove deer past Jack O'Connor in the story about his last hunt for whitetail. He had a shot opportunity as I remember but chose not to take it. I forget the author. I've talked to them about it and they remember the hunt, but had no idea of who he was, other than he was a nice old man.

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by 300_savage
That you never received a reply makes me sad! My claim to fame, as it were, is I'm friends with the two cowboys who drove deer past Jack O'Connor in the story about his last hunt for whitetail. He had a shot opportunity as I remember but chose not to take it. I forget the author. I've talked to them about it and they remember the hunt, but had no idea of who he was, other than he was a nice old man.

It was Jack Atcheson.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank you, Pathfinder. I believe he leased the hunting rights on the Gentry ranch where Mr. O'Connor made that hunt. I am pretty sure I was hunting on my folk's ranch 40 miles away that day.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Here is an interesting letter. I bought a copy of Horse and Buggy West and this was inside of it. Have no idea how it got there, but it was there.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's pretty cool! I wonder if you have Ben East's copy of H&BW

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Jon Sundra’s book ,Hell, I’m Still Here, has some interesting commentary on both men.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by 300_savage
That's pretty cool! I wonder if you have Ben East's copy of H&BW

Thought about that, but there was nothing in the book that would indicate that. I got it off Amazon, and no telling where it came from.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by RinB

Everyone knows that Jack and Elmer couldn't stand each other and wouldn't even think of hunting with each other let alone stand side by side. I've posted this picture before to prove it.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson, 1776
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Just a FYI, Elmer actually did two autobiographies. I heard that he wasn't happy with the first (Elmer) so did Hell. Both a good read.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by DocFoster; 10/24/23.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That first one is hard to find

Edited, I take that back. A few used copies online are available.

Last edited by 300_savage; 10/24/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So, I have Hell I Was There, would Keith: An Autobiography be enough different to want to buy a copy? Interested in opinions from those who have read both.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

141 members (470Evans, 2UP, 44mc, 375TN, 35, 16 invisible), 1,588 guests, and 1,028 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,957
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.