Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I've got the Flitz liquid wax; just wondering if there's something better.

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Johnson Paste wax

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I use MinWax

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Everybody has a favorite. Mine's Renaissance Wax, and I also use Butcher's Wax sometimes. Truth be told most any paste wax is good or at least better than no wax at all. One wax to avoid is car wax - it'll impart silicone onto/into the wood which will make anybody who tries to refinish it in the future curse you to the high heavens.

Doubly important to apply wax to an oil finish if you wish to prevent (or slow down, actually) water fenestration when outdoors in damp weather.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For a glossier finish I like the Renaissance Wax that gnoahhh mentioned.

For a duller finish like I have on my older Marlins I like to use Axe Wax. Same stuff I use on hickory tomahawk handles.

Both are good and durable.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Using Slippery Dicks Gun wax on a AYA shotgun this week.UK company with a web site also has he own gun stock finishing products.Good products.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Keep wax out of the checkering

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Keep wax out of the checkering

And if you get it in the checkering keep a soft old toothbrush handy. Better yet, your wife's toothbrush. She probably won't mind.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
\

Renaissance Wax does an excellent job on my rifles. Usually one coat a year., checkering included. Use very sparingly

Last edited by BushCaddy; 10/24/23. Reason: typo

When applied by competent people,with the right intent, common sense goes along wayt
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hard to beat Renaissance Wax for a great and long lasting finish on top of just about any wood finish. A small tub of will last most guys a lifetime as it takes very little to coat a stock. I've also used Johnson's Paste Wax and it works well also, but not quite the sheen of Renaissance ....

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
+2 for Johnson's paste wax.

And it don't cost much and a lot goes a long way.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steven60
Wax for walnut stocks

Like a bunch of other folks have mentioned, Renaissance wax.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bullhead
Using Slippery Dicks Gun wax on a AYA shotgun this week.UK company with a web site also has he own gun stock finishing products.Good products.
Just don't slip off when waxing your wood.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by plainsman456
+2 for Johnson's paste wax.

And it don't cost much and a lot goes a long way.

+3

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Another vote for renaissance wax

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great thread, I was wondering what to use to clean and protect my P17 which has a French Walnut stock on it, so I just ordered Renaissance wax, which was recommended by a guy on a YouTube video demonstrating how to apply it wax to stocks.

He took the barrel and butt plate off of the stock, do you guys do that as well?

I never have removed the butt plate which was custom designed and sterling silver and I think the screws are as well, I am concerned if I take it off I may screw up the threading and have issues down the road.

Same with the stock, I have never taken in off the stock, afraid to mess something up!

Last edited by KillerBee; 10/25/23.

KB

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Great thread, I was wondering what to use to clean and protect my P17 which has a French Walnut stock on it, so I just ordered Renaissance wax, which was recommended by a guy on a YouTube video demonstrating how to apply it wax to stocks.

He took the barrel and butt plate off of the stock, do you guys do that as well?

I never have removed the butt plate which was custom designed and sterling silver and I think the screws are as well, I am concerned if I take it off I may screw up the threading and have issues down the road.

Same with the stock, I have never taken in off the stock, afraid to mess something up!

Just leave it together and wax it good.

If it's as precious as I think you're saying I highly doubt you'd throw it in a creek with some dead salmon anyway, as I see some around here make that analogy.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Everybody has a favorite. Mine's Renaissance Wax, and I also use Butcher's Wax sometimes. Truth be told most any paste wax is good or at least better than no wax at all. One wax to avoid is car wax - it'll impart silicone onto/into the wood which will make anybody who tries to refinish it in the future curse you to the high heavens.

Doubly important to apply wax to an oil finish if you wish to prevent (or slow down, actually) water fenestration when outdoors in damp weather.
Also have always had good luck with Renaissance Wax.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My personal philosophy is that if a man put it together another man can take it apart. I would think each step through and arm myself with perfectly fitted tools and fixtures etc. But --- in this case I agree with our Feral Friend and say just wax it with the metal in situ.

An old friend of mine was a conservator at the Smithsonian's National Museum of American History for decades. Their go-to general elixir was/is...........Renaissance Wax.

(Remind me sometime to tell you about the time I waved around a delightful little hunting sword I picked up off his work bench whilst hanging around their workshop. Sonny said, "feels good in the hand doesn't it?" "Indeed, said I." He said, "yeah, George Washington thought so too" whereupon I gingerly set it back down where I found it....)

Muskets and the like got a gentle cleaning with Murphy's Oil Soap, dried then wiped with pure tung oil or artist's grade linseed oil. Finally, eventually after thorough drying, waxed with Ren Wax. Internal parts and stock furniture meticulously disassembled and detail cleaned (many ultrasonic cleaning tanks were setting around) and waxed also as a preservative.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Feral_American
Originally Posted by KillerBee

Just leave it together and wax it good.

If it's as precious as I think you're saying I highly doubt you'd throw it in a creek with some dead salmon anyway, as I see some around here make that analogy.

lol, I don't think I'll be doing that!

Another question if I may, with the Renaissance wax, and the checkering, would it be good to use a light film on the checkering and as gnoahhh mentioned to clean off the extra with a toothbrush? This rifle has a lot of checkering.

This is what I mean about the butt Plate, it is perfectly fitted and if I screw something up, as the guy suggested to take it off and wax the inside, I would be pissed at myself forever.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

KB

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (12344mag, 1234, 17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,332 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,517
Posts18,490,944
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.