Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
i am not a wood finisher, i only do finishing on my rifles for fun.

i've used Minwax Antique Oil for a few rifles. then i use Minwax Polyurethane OIL and mineral spirits.(3 poly:1 mineral spirits). it protects (somewhat) the finish. i'll coat 3 or so times of Poly/Mineral spirits.

make sure of Polyurethane OIL, not water based poly. you can use Warm Semi-Gloss, Warm Gloss, Warm Satin, Warm Ultra Flat sheen. after it dries, i use Johnsons paste wax.

'16 Spanish Mauser

sealing the wood
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

'98 Mauser 1944

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My buddy uses mccloskeys varnish . fwiw he's a Trindad grad.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by richj; 10/04/23.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Your buddy does nice work.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Watco Danish Oil. Maybe not the toughest but its wipe on , easily touched up, and looks good. Besides, its not like I'm going to hunt in Alaskan bogs.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Going back to the original subject: Did you clean/neutralize the site where you applied the TruOil? I suggest prepping with lacquer thinner or denatured alcohol to remove any possible residue contaminants. Many resins refuse to cure when applied over oils or other substances that they won't readily chemically combine with.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Caplock
Watco Danish Oil. Maybe not the toughest but its wipe on , easily touched up, and looks good. Besides, its not like I'm going to hunt in Alaskan bogs.
Watco Danish oil is a product with no real use. The solids count is very, very low. And VOS is way high. The resulting finish will be special on a warm day in the south when the solvents trapped below the little solids there are fenestrates them (makes holes in the finish) and you get a handful of sticky pimples.

Last edited by Sitka deer; 10/05/23. Reason: Friggin' autocorrect!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Pro Custom Oil, Brownells

there are many, many more.

Last edited by Rapier; 10/05/23.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
What's wrong with Linspeed oil? For me it's worked better than anything else. --- Mel

The only thing I'm an expert at is my own opinion, and I have plenty of those!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I removed (by sanding) the awful red finish on a Ruger 44 carbine and refinished with Linspeed. came out very nice. Forend was covered with an amateur checkering job.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Rapier
Pro Custom Oil, Brownells

there are many, many more.
Pro Oil is my current fav.

A stock maker taught me a trick. Soak the wood with Pro Oil, take a small square of 400 wet or dry sand paper and sand in swirls until a slurry develops. Give is a few minutes to thicken, then wipe across the grain. Allow 24 hrs. to fully dry. Do it again, maybe a time or two more, depending on how dense the wood is. Less dense, more coats. This fills the pores and sets the base. Then apply Tru Oil a few times, lightly sanding between coats as needed, Then a few more coats of Pro-Oil. He lightly wipes the Pro Oil with a single layer of a blue shop towel. Pretty amazing how that works.

Then, when fully dry, he applies Fiebings dark brown leather dye to achieve the color he wants. He's dying the finish, NOT the wood. Lightly using 4-0 steel wool to blend and adjust color. Then a few more coats of Pro Oil.

Tru Oil dries fast, Pro Oil needs 24 hrs.

Here's a Pre-64 with Krieger 6.5-284 barrel in a Boyd's Jon Sundra laminated birch stock with that finish. Weird looking trigger is a Jewell.

DF

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Wait for it.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by richj
My buddy uses mccloskeys varnish . fwiw he's a Trindad grad.

He’s a real pro.

DF

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by olblue
What's wrong with Linspeed oil? For me it's worked better than anything else. --- Mel

i used it, but linspeed oil takes sooooo long to dry, 2 to 4 days. i had a week to let it dry. Minwax Antique Oil is good to me. also i do 2 or 3 coats of Minwax Polyurethane Oil mixed with mineral spirits (3:1) to protect the Antique Oil finish.

"Russia sucks."

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I used Linspeed exactly once. Like so many of we humans do, I let myself be soured about it as the result of that one experience - and it may have been my fault at that, dunno. I used it to do the wood on a custom M94 .30-30 I built. Wet sanded in to the fill the pores, multiple coats afterwards, yada yada, gorgeous end result on a gun intended for rough usage. That deer season in PA opened with torrential downpours, and back then I hunted regardless of the weather. Oh, the hubris of youth! As I sat hunkered at the base of a tree hating life as the rain soaked me to the marrow, I watched as my tediously applied finish softened and riveled. In disgust I used my handkerchief to scrub off what the rain failed to wash off. When I got home and dried out, the wood was totally bare, naked pores and all.

Of course I blamed the Linspeed. Maybe I should blame myself for being an idiot. The upshot of it all was to adopt a dislike for "oil" finishes on any gun intended for actual field use, and 43 years later I still do. Of course I've employed oil finishes, and do truly like the look, but only on "Sunday-go-to-meeting" guns that will never be subjected to egregious weather. The real work horses get a barrier finish (and more than a few of "the fancy guns" too).

An old pal/mentor from long ago who was an Army artificer (armorer who traveled with an infantry unit) in Europe, WWII, related to me how when he set up shop in his mobile workshop (Deuce-and-a-half) behind the lines he always put a small pot of linseed oil (or tung oil, whatever he was given) on a heater so as to keep it warm and handy to slather GI's gunstocks with when said M1's, Springfields, tommy guns, etc. were presented for repairs.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
go get a newer dated tru-oil can and throw the old other tru-0il can away .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I used Linspeed exactly once. Like so many of we humans do, I let myself be soured about it as the result of that one experience - and it may have been my fault at that, dunno. I used it to do the wood on a custom M94 .30-30 I built. Wet sanded in to the fill the pores, multiple coats afterwards, yada yada, gorgeous end result on a gun intended for rough usage. That deer season in PA opened with torrential downpours, and back then I hunted regardless of the weather. Oh, the hubris of youth! As I sat hunkered at the base of a tree hating life as the rain soaked me to the marrow, I watched as my tediously applied finish softened and riveled. In disgust I used my handkerchief to scrub off what the rain failed to wash off. When I got home and dried out, the wood was totally bare, naked pores and all.

Of course I blamed the Linspeed. Maybe I should blame myself for being an idiot. The upshot of it all was to adopt a dislike for "oil" finishes on any gun intended for actual field use, and 43 years later I still do. Of course I've employed oil finishes, and do truly like the look, but only on "Sunday-go-to-meeting" guns that will never be subjected to egregious weather. The real work horses get a barrier finish (and more than a few of "the fancy guns" too).

An old pal/mentor from long ago who was an Army artificer (armorer who traveled with an infantry unit) in Europe, WWII, related to me how when he set up shop in his mobile workshop (Deuce-and-a-half) behind the lines he always put a small pot of linseed oil (or tung oil, whatever he was given) on a heater so as to keep it warm and handy to slather GI's gunstocks with when said M1's, Springfields, tommy guns, etc. were presented for repairs.

the last time i used Linspeed oil was about 6 or 7 years ago. i was redoing a '98 Mauser with a black walnut stock. i was on coat 6 or 7 when i hung the stock up. a week later, the pistol grip area or the small of the stock was gummy. i said i'll wait a week more to let it dry. a week later, it was still gummy. what i did is i put out on a coat of Linspeed when the stock was wet with the oil. it will NEVER dry. so i Citri Striped the stock and that is when i bought Minwax Antique Oil. to protect the finish, i use 2 or 3 coats of Polyurethane Oil/mineral spirits (3:1). i still have Linspeed Oil sitting on my basement shelf.

PA weather can do that. my home is in PA. in the early 2000s, i was one of those guys who sat out in the rain the first day. me and my oldest son (he was 13 or 14 years old) in the rain. my dad (RIP) said "Fudge that" and he went to sleep in the truck. we stayed in the woods until around 2pm (we had a tree umbrella that was good for 1 person) when my son said he had enuff of not seeing deer. i agreed with him and then we packed up and went to the truck. i was wet all over, but my son was only half wet, his legs). my dad was still sleeping.

"Russia sucks."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As an aside, back 50 Years or so a common antique finishing fake involved mixing oils and oil finishes in heavy coats. First several coats were oil and heavy. Then several coats of an oil finish on that. If you did not know which would work best you just kept guessing and applying more and different coats. A couple months later you would have a smooth surface with internal alligator marks. Within 10 to 20 years or so the finish would finally fully cure and the marks would disappear.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
No Linspeed for me since the ‘50’s. Didn’t like it much back then. Tried it, moved on. Tru-Oil became my main finish, used it for years.

DF

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Dilute it a fair bit with mineral spirits or pure lemon oil.

When applied by competent people,with the right intent, common sense goes along wayt
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

158 members (35, arky65, 240NMC, 10Glocks, afisher, 12 invisible), 1,534 guests, and 855 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,603
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.