Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Call your insurance company, and verify that you're insured, no matter whose car you drive.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
yes the link would be nice Farm Bureau of Idaho. good people good rates easy to deal with on claims

https://www.idahofarmbureauinsurance.com/find-an-agent/

this computer has been fugged all day no caps no periods no comma curser does not do what it is supposed to

i wonder if ms managed to get win ii on it i am going to reset to factory that will fix it

ETA That seems to have fixed it.

Last edited by Idaho_Shooter; 10/24/23.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
One more thought in regards to Farm Bureau Insurance.

A few years ago I borrowed my Uncle's four horse trailer to take my son and his buddy on a week long pack trip into the Frank Church Wilderness.

I called my agent, told him the exact circumstances, (if I wrecked the trailer, I would pay for it). He took the serial number and put it on my policy. A week later I called the agent and told him the trailer was back home at my Uncle's house. He took it back off my policy. It did not even cost me a dime as the coverage did not go through a monthly billing cycle.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
You can't insure something you don't own. No insurable interest. The owner can insure it and add as you as a driver. Why would you want to get financially involved in their vehicle. Just because they don't have a license doesn't mean that person may not drive it. Or allow someone else to drive it. They have an accident and hurt someone one. They show your insurance policy and now your involved in the law suit. I wouldn't do it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by persiandog
can i insure a car if the title is not under my name ?

i am trying to insure a car and the registration and title is not under my name. my friend had an accident and can no longer drive.
i'll be helping him , transferring title or putting my name on title and registration is not an option.

Simple answer:

You don't have an insurable interest in the vehicle.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Feral_American
I have my daughter's car on my policy, titled in her name only. She's listed as a driver on my policy, and our legal addresses are the same. Perfectly legit, with my company, in our state. Can't say this applies to anyone else, somewhere else, with possibly different motives for needing auto insurance

Most auto policies are called "family auto policies". It covers family residents of the same domicile.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by luv2safari
can i insure a car if the title is not under my name ?

i am trying to insure a car and the registration and title is not under my name. my friend had an accident and can no longer drive.
i'll be helping him , transferring title or putting my name on title and registration is not an option.

Simple answer:

You don't have an insurable interest in the vehicle.

If I borrow another man's vehicle and wreck it. Am I liable for those damages or not?

I know damned well, if he has liability only, who is getting sued for the cost of the rig I wrecked. Or the cost of the deductible if it was insured.

BTDT, except it was my car and my son's buddy who wrecked it. Yes, he had permission to drive the car.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You have to have an insurable interest in the car to take a policy out in your name on the car. Having a significant (and proveable) investment in the car can qualify. Being his buddy will not. But you can be added as a driver to his policy, with a comensurate premium increase. But frankly, if you want to help him out, don't do either. Leave the auto policy in his name. You can drive it occassionally as a permissive user and be covered by his policy in the event of an accident. However, if you become a regular, or principal, operator of the car, you should be added to the policy. If an insurer can prove you are a regular driver and you aren't on the policy, they can argue that there is fraud (rate evasion) going on and terminate, or non-renew, the policy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I worked for a large municipality.
They had quite a fleet of vehicles. They constantly asked us to purchase a "rider" through our own "auto insurer" that allowed us to drive "their" vehicle.
I never bought it....but I never wrecked one of their vehicles either!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Can he not add you to his insurance plan?

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smarquez
Can he not add you to his insurance plan?
he can't insure without a driver license.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I thought you wanted insurance- - - - -why are you dealing with Allstate? They're only good at collecting premiums and denying claims. Find an independent agent who can shop several companies and get the coverage you need.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
all good deeds :

I just called progressive and asked to be removed as a second driver , to my surprise anybody can call and with correct information can add me again.

this is disturbing but true.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by sawbuck
If you can legally drive it you should be able to insure it.
allstate told me i cant , and i have my car and home with them.
Allstate. Dad was in the insurance business as a general agent. One thing he always said is no matter how bad it gets never use Allstate. Thats worth the 2 cents you paid

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Specifics vary between states. To think otherwise is woefully ignorant.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (35, 444Matt, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 8 invisible), 1,514 guests, and 785 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,303
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.