Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I’m sure this has been asked 1,000,000 times but here we go…

Im 18 years old, and I think it’s about time we get pistols for the house. One upstairs in my room, one downstairs in my parents room. Is 9mm the way to go? I reload for my .308 so I’m not too picky on caliber. Just want something that will shoot smooth and not jump up like crazy. I am not very familiar with the different offerings, I’ve only shot a few including a sig p365 and a Ruger lcf. I definitely prefer larger. Open to suggestions of any sort.

So far I’m thinking the generic g17/19

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ApolloF7; 10/24/23.
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Just pick a decent quality piece, the bullet doesn't care which pistol it comes out of. Shop around, the Glock is a good choice, but so is the Smith and Wesson M&P, and all the other ones.

If you do NOT like recoil, buy a pistol with a steel frame. Simple as that. Shop around, but go to an indoor range and try some rentals, let that help you pick what will work best for you. What I like might not suit you at all, so I won't suggest anything in particular, but shop around, try all the types you can, and pick what you like best. If you're only 18, better take a parent,or uncle, or other adult, with you and seek their assistance.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Will do, me and my dad will be getting one together. I have seen that going to a range and testing several is the best and that’s what we will likely end up doing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Take your parents to a well stocked gun store and try out several brands/models/sizes and see what you like.
If you are set on a semi auto, offerings from Glock, Sig, S&W, or Springfield Armory are reliable. You could also throw in FN, Beretta and HK.
If you mother will be using the pistol make sure she can rack the slide; if she struggles with this there are models made for easy racking, or a revolver may be a better choice.
9mm is never a bad choice.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Sounds good, I don’t think racking will be an issue at all.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It is for many women and even some men without good hand/arm strength, especially with hammer fired pistols.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Gotcha, my mom is a pretty strong woman, I would be very surprised if she struggles. I’ll keep it in mind for sure.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Glock 17 is always a solid choice for a house gun. It's long enough to mount a light that doesn't extend way past the muzzle.

There are many other solid options out there. I've been a Glock fan since around 1994. Glock 17 was my first, and still one of the most practical in my small collection.

If concealment is not part of the decision, I prefer the full-size grip of the 17, over the shortened grip on the 19. Yes, I have both.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nothing wrong with the Glock 19x

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like full size pistols for home defense where concealibility isn't an issue. I like the Canik TP9SFX 9mm for home defense. I also have a red dot sight on it

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Consider Glock or S&W M&P line. Both are good quality for the money and available in several different frame sizes

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G19 with night sights, cheaper to get the gun set up from factory (with Glock logo or Ameriglo). The only other add on are light and Glock lanyard loop. There is factory threaded barrel version if you intend to use sound supressor.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by ApolloF7

Im 18 years old, and I think it’s about time we get pistols for the house. One upstairs in my room, one downstairs in my parents room. Is 9mm the way to go? I reload for my .308 so I’m not too picky on caliber. Just want something that will shoot smooth and not jump up like crazy. I am not very familiar with the different offerings, I’ve only shot a few including a sig p365 and a Ruger lcf. I definitely prefer larger. Open to suggestions of any sort.

Thanks in advance.

For house guns to be stored at the site of use, weight / carry is not an issue. I find steel guns to be more reliable than polymer. I've only owned two glocks, shot a couple others. I've had problems with jamming and feeding with the 9mms .. no hitches with my 10mm, at least so far. These are almost certainly "user" issues, compatibility with my magnum revolver shooting style and a semi-auto handgun that is light weight and uses the shooter's body weight for cycling. However, a jam is a jam and when the chips are down a jam can kill you. For me, it was worth spending a little bit more to get a heavier steel gun that does not jam at all on me. I went with a CZ-75 compact decocker model. Just a thought.

If possible, whatever you get, if you are getting two, get the same. There will only be one set of controls to learn and any spare parts, magazines, holsters, accessories, etc you accumulate will work in both.

If you can manage it, arrange for hands-on training with a certified instructor. Costs a bit but it might well save $$ in the long run over having to make all the mistakes and expend all the ammo to do so yourself. And if possible, have your parents go through the same training. Having guns is not enough, knowing how to operate them is not enough. Work with your parents to formulate a family plan for who does what if the [bleep] hits the fan because if it does, it will happen very quickly and there won't be time for planning in the moment.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
You answered your own question. Super reliable. Amazing aftermarket support. Stupid simple to operate and maintain. Easy to learn to shoot well. High capacity mags (to include Glock-made 33 rounders). Track record up the wazoo. No external safety.

[Linked Image from media.tenor.com]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I suggest a 4" double action revolver. Not what you asked but a good choice for simplicity and safety.

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Getting into reloading to save money is like getting married for free sex.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Just pick a decent quality piece, the bullet doesn't care which pistol it comes out of. Shop around, the Glock is a good choice, but so is the Smith and Wesson M&P, and all the other ones.
I hear this a lot, i.e., that the M&P is the same in all respects as the Glock for a novice. Not true. A Glock is monkey simple to field strip and reassemble. With an M&P I've had weird things happen on reassembly that took some time to figure out how to fix, and then there's that goofy little lever inside the gun you have to mess with.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by DaveinWV
I suggest a 4" double action revolver. Not what you asked but a good choice for simplicity and safety.
Can't go wrong with that, but mastering a double action trigger takes more range time than does the trigger pull on a Glock. Once mastered, however, it's like learning to ride a bike. You really never forget.

Another issue is which double action revolver? A pre-lock S&W K-Frame would be a great choice, but I don't know that I'd trust one of their modern offerings. Recommending a Glock 19/17 is a much simpler matter, since they are all pretty much good to go, no matter when they were made.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by T_O_M

Thanks in advance.

For house guns to be stored at the site of use, weight / carry is not an issue. I find steel guns to be more reliable than polymer. I've only owned two glocks, shot a couple others. I've had problems with jamming and feeding with the 9mms .. no hitches with my 10mm, at least so far. These are almost certainly "user" issues, compatibility with my magnum revolver shooting style and a semi-auto handgun that is light weight and uses the shooter's body weight for cycling. However, a jam is a jam and when the chips are down a jam can kill you. For me, it was worth spending a little bit more to get a heavier steel gun that does not jam at all on me. I went with a CZ-75 compact decocker model. Just a thought.

If possible, whatever you get, if you are getting two, get the same. There will only be one set of controls to learn and any spare parts, magazines, holsters, accessories, etc you accumulate will work in both.

If you can manage it, arrange for hands-on training with a certified instructor. Costs a bit but it might well save $$ in the long run over having to make all the mistakes and expend all the ammo to do so yourself. And if possible, have your parents go through the same training. Having guns is not enough, knowing how to operate them is not enough. Work with your parents to formulate a family plan for who does what if the [bleep] hits the fan because if it does, it will happen very quickly and there won't be time for planning in the moment.

How do you like the cz? That is another option I am really considering. I found a great deal on grabagun, it’s 499 right now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DaveinWV

Unfortunately the simplicity goes away after last round in the cylinder is fired. I find efficient, quick reload much more difficult than with with typical pistol.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
You answered your own question. Super reliable. Amazing aftermarket support. Stupid simple to operate and maintain. Easy to learn to shoot well. High capacity mags (to include Glock-made 33 rounders). Track record up the wazoo. No external safety.

[Linked Image from media.tenor.com]

I found 33 round magazines to be less reliable.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (6mmCreedmoor, 007FJ, 35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 12 invisible), 1,473 guests, and 864 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,311
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.