Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
We went out for the traditional opener on Saturday. We start the 3rd Saturday at noon, no matter what the "resident opener" and 10am starting hour freak shows do or say. We're not savages. I took a M42 loaded with Federal 3" 6's and it proved to be tougher than I thought it would be to kill a rooster. I finally did so, and was glad for that. End of experiment. The company and the eats were fantastic, the dog work was enjoyable and the shooting was poor. Lots of corn left in the fields, not so many pheasants in the grass. Flash made it to his 14th opener, Im super glad for that. The Korean ribs were a huge hit.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
GB1

B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
On day 2 we went over to Harrold and found alot of crops in the fields but a few pheasants around as well. Five of us got 11. I was carrying my Magnum Twenty and in a turnaround from Saturday hit everything I shot at and killed it dead too. 3 roosters for BK using plain old #6's, imagine that. Dog work getting better. Surprisingly dry days this weekend so understandable.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Damnation, does that not look like a hoot! Well done!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We probably passed you on the roads Sunday.

Last pass of the day was fruitful with lots of good dog work for dad and I. Successful 3 day hunt, especially considering all the crops still in the field.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cool.

Gonna try to be there before Thanksgiving

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
It was a great weekend and i'm hopeful for a long long season this year! Nice picture!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nice.... How far were you trying to stretch the .410????

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Old school SxS's....nice.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Like I told our friends on the hunt, double shotguns double the yield.
Mine is a 16 ga Dickinson Estate shooting homeloaded 1 1/8 oz 5s, cheesys is a new to him Model 30 Ugartechia sp? made in 1985. 20 ga shooting factory 1 oz 6s. That gun must be a pheasant magnet, by far the most pheasants got up closer to him.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
While hunting the last patch of the day I looked out to the right over a large grass field and saw a flock of birds i thought were prairie chickens headed our way. I alerted the guys and waited for them to get close. Just before gun range the flock split and went on either side of me. Luckily the ones to the right were close enough to shoot and I dropped one. As I was walking to the downed bird I heard shots behind me. When I got to the bird I was surprised it wasn't a chicken. I'd never seen a sharptail before let alone shot one. Turns out a buddy behind me had dropped a chicken from the same flock. Great time out there, can't wait to go back.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by BKinSD
On day 2 we went over to Harrold and found alot of crops in the fields but a few pheasants around as well. Five of us got 11. I was carrying my Magnum Twenty and in a turnaround from Saturday hit everything I shot at and killed it dead too. 3 roosters for BK using plain old #6's, imagine that. Dog work getting better. Surprisingly dry days this weekend so understandable.

BK a 3" 410 throws 11/16 of an ounce with #6 that's about 151 .11" diameter pellets . A ounce of 6's is about 223 count an ounce of #7 shot at .10" is right at 299 pellets so 11/16 oz is right at 208 pellets so moving to hard # 7 shot would increase you pellet count by a 1/3 that might give you a better bird killing ability with that 410.. More than of few folks on the fire swear by #7 shot..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Adult son of one of my best friends in town this week from his new home in NYC. Asked if we could go hunting, of course I said "Yes." Kind of a snotty night but one hours work produced this pile of roosters. Lola gave an A grade performance, we only lost one bird and I'll take the hit on that. I could have shot that bird alot harder and was unable to safely get another hit on it. I bagged three of the nine. Jeff shot five.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
From tests done by Brister....The .410 pattern starts to fall apart much past 20 yards. 20 and in, it will be around the same size as the larger gauges.

Last edited by battue; 10/26/23.

B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

BK a 3" 410 throws 11/16 of an ounce with #6 that's about 151 .11" diameter pellets . A ounce of 6's is about 223 count an ounce of #7 shot at .10" is right at 299 pellets so 11/16 oz is right at 208 pellets so moving to hard # 7 shot would increase you pellet count by a 1/3 that might give you a better bird killing ability with that 410.. More than of few folks on the fire swear by #7 shot..mb

I kind of was wondering all this Bob. I thought maybe some different shells would be interesting. I need to spend alot more time on that gun before I take it hunting again. I was keeping shots to 25 or so and less.

B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by battue
From tests done by Brister....The .410 pattern starts to fall apart much past 20 yards. 20 and in, it will be around the same size as the larger gauges.

I am not surprised by this. My total .410 experience was doubled on Saturday. I'm not thinking of doing much more with it this fall.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by battue

I am not surprised by this. My total .410 experience was doubled on Saturday. I'm not thinking of doing much more with it this fall.

I'm pretty sure I had the same eye opening experience with the 410 on grouse only it took a couple more trips and crips to come to the same conclusion. With a 1/2 oz load of 9's it's perfectly capable on the skeet range as long as YOU are on the money. And of course I was using an imp cyl briley tube in my gun, on the grouse the mod tube and 3" 6's like you used, still low pellet counts make for thin patterns. I often wondered back then that the general design usage was for pot shooting on the ground or in the tree at under 25 yds .mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Awesome reports and pics! Keep 'em coming! I'll be in SoDak in early Dec. Green with envy until then!

B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Trundled over on Friday for a short hunt to get the dogs out in the field after a week in Montana. Three of us shot six, I shot one.

Back on Sunday for a really short hunt and killed one again. There's a quarter section of corn to the NE of our spot which isn't harvested yet and which is harboring birds in huge numbers. Looking for that to be cut this week and really increase our opportunities.

B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Out last night for a short walk. My dog forgot who she works for. Zero for the effort. Buddy shot two over his dog. Corn is out but birds still relating to it and our timing was off as a result. Some harsher weather would have been in our favor but dang it was nice out.

Last edited by BKinSD; 11/20/23.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Hopefully conditions are prime the first week of December when we get out there. I am getting amped up and got sucked into buying a new (old) shotgun this morning just to try to shoot a rooster.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 2003and2013, 63 invisible), 2,465 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,477
Posts18,489,961
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.