Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you google,

77-accuracy tip

Google will take you right to the discussion of the problem and the fix.

HR IC

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Fellow gun head bought a Ruger #1 in 22-250 many years ago. That rifle had the most beautiful stock I have ever seen on a factory made rifle. But.....it wouldnt shoot for anything. He didnt mess with it much, but he loved to show it off to everyone. A couple of guys told him to have it rebarreled, but he didnt want to put money into it. The best group it gets is 3" and he has let a few guys shoot it at the bench. Most guys would have sold it for that type of accuracy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tdoyka
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
[quote=tzone]Do you reload?

It sounds like he needs a buddy that knows what to look for and knows how to shoot and evaluate an accuracy issue. I ran into a similar issue a couple weeks ago. A buddy called and said, "hey, we have a rifle that doesn't shoot well, can you come and take a look at it". Sure no problem. Found the rifle to shoot damn well with the proper ammo. Preliminary checks were done even before I pulled the trigger on that rifle. Usually the culprits for a poor shooting rifle is the scope mounts and rings, scope, mechanicals, ammo and shooter error.

i do that.
X2.

Unless you somehow wound up with a complete dog. Odds are it’s either an optics/optic mount issue or shooter related. A lot of times those two issues go hand in hand. I’m not saying that to cast any shade. It’s obviously shooting well enough for your purposes but it isn’t good enough for the rifle described or even most budget rifles. I’d start with the optic and shooting technique.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Most poor shooting is fixed by making sure the scope mounts and rings are snug.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Someone else said "do the easy/cheap stuff first" I agree. First clean the barrel with Wipe Out or something similar. Spray it in and leave over night then repeat. Now check your mounts/scope. There is an easy way to check your bedding- Back off the action screws then tighten the front one near the recoil lug to factory torque. Now tighten the back screw at the tang- it should go from loosey Lucy to tight in less than 1/2 turn. If it doesn't and gets gradually harder to turn your action is getting stressed and you need to fix the bedding.
If you search the Montana Tinkering thread by Short Action Smoker it is pretty much all relevant to any bolt action.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Windfall
What would you do?
It is a Stick approved Ruger 77 Mk ll trued 7mm-08 with a Shilen 1 in 9 #1 taper match grade 20” ss barrel solid bedded in Brown Precision Kevlar stock. It probably has 150 139 or 140 grain factory rounds through it. I can get 1” groups at 50 yards, but not 100. I don’t shoot far hunting and it gets the deer that I shoot at. Should I: re-torque the screws, reload for it, free float the barrel, try a different scope, shoot it more, clean the barrel better, try a different rest, try different factory ammo… or just forget about it and go kill deer?

Obviously that particular factory round isnt the best one for your gun. Try checking all that other stuff first. Then if you want to make it shoot well, load your own and find the good load. But if all that other stuff checks out ok, try different factory loads.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Exactly what are 100 yard groups?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Make sure that the middle action screw is just barely "finger tight". Just snug enough to keep it from backing out and that's all. If you "farmer-tight" that middle screw you'll flex the bottom metal and put pressure where it doesn't belong.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Rugers aren't noted for top notch accuracy! Any rifle maker today that can't produce a rifle to deliver one inch grouping at 100 yards, even using several makes of ammo needs to revise their production process! For far too long even the major manufacturers produced what I refer to as 'exterior' rifles....meaning that the items looked good but interior-wise were not up to par because said manufacturers did not want to spend the time to make an accurate rifle! These people know who they are so no need to mention their names!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Rugers aren't noted for top notch accuracy! Any rifle maker today that can't produce a rifle to deliver one inch grouping at 100 yards, even using several makes of ammo needs to revise their production process! For far too long even the major manufacturers produced what I refer to as 'exterior' rifles....meaning that the items looked good but interior-wise were not up to par because said manufacturers did not want to spend the time to make an accurate rifle! These people know who they are so no need to mention their names!

I've only owned two Rugers long enough to shoot them... but both would do 1" at 100 with factory ammo. One was a 280 and one was a 7x57.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Im interested in what stick has to offer on the subject.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
What would you do?

...It is a Stick approved

Taking his tootsie roll out of your mouth would be the first step.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What would you do?
It is a Stick approved Ruger 77 Mk ll trued 7mm-08 with a Shilen 1 in 9 #1 taper match grade 20” ss barrel solid bedded in Brown Precision Kevlar stock. It probably has 150 139 or 140 grain factory rounds through it. I can get 1” groups at 50 yards, but not 100. I don’t shoot far hunting and it gets the deer that I shoot at. Should I: re-torque the screws, reload for it, free float the barrel, try a different scope, shoot it more, clean the barrel better, try a different rest, try different factory ammo… or just forget about it and go kill deer?

I'd Start At The Fhuqking Start,by backing up,to move ahead. Hint.

Smells like a Reupold from here and that's NEVER "good" news. Nor is the Brown handle. Hint.

The less than OEM taper is good news in disguise,in that it'll be easy to stab it in an OEM (Laminate or Walnut ONLY) handle. Do so,less magbox,spring and follower. That'll fast pace the WTF and preclude MUCH in the way of Guesstitude. Hint.

If better changes aren't realized then,simply peel scope and drive a GOOD one(proven) instead. If/when you see it settle,I'd tape around barrel circumference with Electrical Tape and dabble a smidge of positive pressure. With those Tea Leaves on the table,dots WILL be easily connected and the backtrack a breeze. Hint.

77's make fair to middlin' 7-08's,as their COAL is greater than OEM Big Green and the like. Hint.

Just sayin'................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You didn't mention what kind of scope.
If it's a Leupold .
I'd start there.
dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Dave, not a Leupold, a FFP 30 mm VM/V Zeiss Diavari 1.5-6x42 T*. The rifle is in the gun safe up north, so I can't wiggle the magazine spring or mess with the bedding screws this year. Being a #1 taper and 7# it is harder to shoot than something heavier and I suspect that it is my bench technique more than anything. I'll shop around and see if I can find some more sensibly priced ammo than the Nosler BT's that I've been using and spend more time at the range.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dave, not a Leupold, a FFP 30 mm VM/V Zeiss Diavari 1.5-6x42 T*. The rifle is in the gun safe up north, so I can't wiggle the magazine spring or mess with the bedding screws this year. Being a #1 taper and 7# it is harder to shoot than something heavier and I suspect that it is my bench technique more than anything. I'll shop around and see if I can find some more sensibly priced ammo than the Nosler BT's that I've been using and spend more time at the range.
To clarify, mag box, not follower spring.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 06hunter59, 204guy, 12344mag, 219DW, 67 invisible), 2,415 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,303
Posts18,487,114
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.