-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
OP Offline
I
I recently purchased some CorrosionX after learning about it on this site. In addition to my guns I wiped the threads of the bulbs on some outdoor lighting to try to prevent seizing. I wiped the ball/hitch on my truck and cleaned the tongue of the boat trailer where the ball goes. I have a tube of the grease that I'll use on the the boat trailer bearings and an aerosol can of the stuff that I plan on spraying on vehicle doors where rust is starting. I'm wondering what other uses folks on here have found for CorrosionX?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you lightly spray the bolt and inside receiver of a semi-auto .22 rifle, burned powder and stuff will no longer accumulate. Let the Corrosion X dry before firing and don't overtreat with it. Once every few months or annually is plenty.

C-X is also great on battery terminals of all kinds, from car batts to flashlights.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
5% CX in mineral spirits for cleaning bearings.

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
I
OP Offline
I
Thank you guys. I am excited to see how it does on the inner workings of my guns.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
If you lightly spray the bolt and inside receiver of a semi-auto .22 rifle, burned powder and stuff will no longer accumulate. Let the Corrosion X dry before firing and don't overtreat with it. Once every few months or annually is plenty.

C-X is also great on battery terminals of all kinds, from car batts to flashlights.

It was from you Rocky that I learned of CorrosionX. After I tear down my rimfire suppressors and clean them up I'll spray down the baffles and see if it helps with cleaning next time.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm not sure if it will work as well there with all the heat involved. But it's magic in the receiver. It seems to bond to the metal like a no-stick frying pan. Powder residue and such just fall out.

I learned about it working in a gun shop, where I did a lot of the remedial cleaning of customer guns. The worst were the .22s belonging to WD-40 addicts. Some of those guns looked like they had been used to dispense asphalt they were so full of powder "tar". Then somebody told me about Corrosion X. I cleaned and treated a few guns and then told the customers to never use WD-40 again. They came back asking what miracle I had performed on their guns, and that convinced me about CX.

It was developed to limit electrical corrosion in saltwater boats - a really tough task. I use it to revive electronics that have been subjected to battery leakage. (Remove corrosion with vinegar on cotton swabs, dry, and then apply CX.)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Corrosion X is damn good. I like this better. https://www.crcindustries.com/heavy-duty-corrosion-inhibitor-10-wt-oz/ It's makes a thicker and more persistent layer of film. I coated all of the steel parts of my boat trailer and wheels with it once a year. My boat was 10 years old when I sold it. It was used primarily in saltwater and there was hardly any rust on any of the bolts, nuts, hubs etc.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is Corrosion-X conductive? In other words, could I slop it on automotive connector plugs and not end up seized or with an open circuit or carriage loss of current?

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'd buy it if I could get it locally but I can't find it anywhere. I hate to pay the shipping and hazmet on ordering it.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
if something , say a hinge, is already rusted will corrosion x 'fix' it - for lack of better word

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dave, I use it in battery devices and on the trailer plugs of my boat. No corrosion and good connections. I can't say if it's conductive but it doesn't block them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pfft….

I’d rather buy $50 worth of chemicals and make my own homemade secret sauce..

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Its great stuff. I use it as lube and Rust prevent on and in my guns.

I saw a test years ago done w different products on test metal exposed to salt spray.

IIRC it was No. one or two of the best along with CLP.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Dave, I use it in battery devices and on the trailer plugs of my boat. No corrosion and good connections. I can't say if it's conductive but it doesn't block them.

Compared to Dielectric Grease?

Have used it on connections, terminals, light bulbs, for years.
Never get a sized light bulb if I use it.
Keeps spark plug boots from sticking too.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I havent bought Corrosion X in a few years, and was price checking last year. It went up a lot, but I just checked it now and the price has dropped. That stuff is very handy to have around.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rocky and DB, I have trucker buddies and here in Montana we have evil mag chloride. Evil. I am repeatedly stunned with the ability of that mag crud to destroy anything electrical, deep. So I've used dielectric, with mixed results (betterinnuffin) and am always hoping to find something with some staying power in what is a needlessly harsh environment. EPA doesn't want us to use sand and gravel like we always did. Particulates, ya know. But thanks for the knowledge.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used dielectric grease on the Scully connector on the gas tanker.

The Scully is a low voltage monitoring system to prevent mixing product and overfilling the compartments. Covered by a simple plastic cup, in the winter the connectors would corrode from water and the brine they put on our roads.

I started polishing them and covering them with the grease, and rarely had problems after that. Even if I forgot to put the cover on.

In my use, I could easily reapply, not sure about inaccessible stuff.

I wonder about the silicone brake grease? That Schmidt is just below Neversieze on my "I F'n hate this stuff but I put it on everything" list.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
There may be something better out there, but CorrosionX is the best I have used (and still do) on my old shotguns to keep them from rusting during duck season. It rains a LOT here..

Last edited by longarm; 10/25/23.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (260Remguy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 65 invisible), 2,228 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,670
Posts18,493,756
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.