T
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by crittrgittr
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
I’m not sure there’s going to be much effect on the cougar population. Sounds like it will allow mire effective management of them; which is undoubtedly why the enviros are against it. If anything, we could stand a good few less of them! I have one killing deer in the ravine behind the house right now. That’s not cool when there’s kids and dogs around.

I’ve hunted them a couple of times with dogs. Never called one in when out coyote hunting although my cousin was stalked by one during archery season some years ago. The lion didn’t survive the encounter. I’m still thinking anyone wanting to actually get one will need dogs to so it. They’re pretty shy in my experience.

Maybe.........

DWR should try to make an effort........

To 'remove' the coyotes from Draper

Keep the residents form bitchin'

Tikka that's where I live and there are a lot of them here. You ought to see all the signs posted around of missing dogs and cats, It's hilarious.

exactly

why aren't the skilled archers removing these 'yotes

Too many tree huggers from CA feeding the 'yotes ?

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
I’m not sure there’s going to be much effect on the cougar population. Sounds like it will allow mire effective management of them; which is undoubtedly why the enviros are against it. If anything, we could stand a good few less of them! I have one killing deer in the ravine behind the house right now. That’s not cool when there’s kids and dogs around.

I’ve hunted them a couple of times with dogs. Never called one in when out coyote hunting although my cousin was stalked by one during archery season some years ago. The lion didn’t survive the encounter. I’m still thinking anyone wanting to actually get one will need dogs to so it. They’re pretty shy in my experience.

Maybe.........

DWR should try to make an effort........

To 'remove' the coyotes from Draper

Keep the residents form bitchin'

Tikka that's where I live and there are a lot of them here. You ought to see all the signs posted around of missing dogs and cats, It's hilarious.

exactly

why aren't the skilled archers removing these 'yotes

Too many tree huggers from CA feeding the 'yotes ?

Feeding them their pets LOL

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It's about reviving the Mule Deer herds back from these bleak times.
I'm all for it.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Sal, our Mule deer took a tremendous hit with the winter we had last year so you are right.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Appears to me the state fish wildlife knows the deer numbers are down and want to find a solution. I like it , give every license holder a chance to harvest a lion of opportunity.
I too passed a big lion during season because I didn't buy a tag... I didn't buy a tag because I never see them!

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Sal, our Mule deer took a tremendous hit with the winter we had last year so you are right.

more in store for winter 23-24 ?

Starting again soon

https://www.ksl.com/article/5076430...ch-issued-for-utah-ahead-of-wintry-storm

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

more in store for winter 23-24 ?

Starting again soon

https://www.ksl.com/article/5076430...ch-issued-for-utah-ahead-of-wintry-storm

Tikklenuts.... embrace winter... don't be a pussy

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
~6k of the damn things here in Oregon, I've only seen three. Year round season, over-the-counter tag. Still their population grows.
Are you allowed to hunt them with dogs in Utah?
Successful hunters here drive or hike in light snow until they cut a trail. We used to be able to use dogs, which were effective.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by longarm
~6k of the damn things here in Oregon, I've only seen three. Year round season, over-the-counter tag. Still their population grows.
Successful hunters here drive or hike in light snow until they cut a trail. We used to be able to use dogs, which were effective.

Yes we are aloud to still use dogs here. I think it's the most effective way to hunt them.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by longarm

Yes we are aloud to still use dogs here. I think it's the most effective way to hunt them.

Absolutely

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by mbhunt
I had one at full draw 20 yards away and let him live because I didn't have a tag. Still one of my biggest regrets in life.

You must not get a sportsman’s package

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Salmonella
I'm all for it.

Probably so but for some reason the public doesn’t give a dam about the ungulates, but stop the entire world from spinning and get goofy over apex predators.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Osky
Originally Posted by Salmonella
I'm all for it.

Probably so but for some reason the public doesn’t give a dam about the ungulates, but stop the entire world from spinning and get goofy over apex predators.

Osky
You can blame Disney....

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
No problem hunting them, I've had them in my yard on multiple occasions. We find kill sights on and near the property from their late night soirees on a regular basis. There are plenty around NW MT.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
You shouldn’t need a tag to kill a predator…

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Lots of cats here in Alberta. There are 2 seasons, one starts Sept 1st and this year, runs till 31 Mar 24. Residents only, no dogs. it is mostly in open prairie country that is private or leased to ranchers. Covers most of southern and IIRC, parts of central Alberta. I carry a tag all the time. I haven't seen one yet but have cut a fresh track a few times. Fun hunting, I'll fill the tag one day! (I have handled a few cats while assisting on a study prior to F&W instituting the hunt, now that was cool)
Second hunt is the traditional winter foothills/mountain hunt where dogs are allowed. Outfitters will be happy to take non-residents on this one. I'm not sure if you can DYI as a non-res.
Jeff

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Black bear management and mountain lion management should go hand in hand. As the bear populations increase so does the number of dear lions have to kill due to the bears stealing their kill.

Talked to a guy not long ago that said the lion kills that he had been finding were buried ridiculously well. He figured the lion’s were adapting to the loss of kills to bears.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Mbogo2106
Originally Posted by mbhunt
I had one at full draw 20 yards away and let him live because I didn't have a tag. Still one of my biggest regrets in life.

You must not get a sportsman’s package

I do. I was elk hunting in Montana.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by RUM7
Killing cats is one of my favorite past times.
Bobcat, house cat, feral tom, whatever.....

I agree 100 percent. If common sense were to prevail, there would be a bounty on feral cats.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I love killing cats other than my pet housecats!! We can shoot cougars in Oregon but hippies stopped the dogs. I want to try predator calls long distance. Just need to figure out a remote system at will go 1000 yds line of sight. I have done this with target cams with drone parts but that is easy. Need to find an electonics nerd to make the circuit board.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 59 invisible), 2,625 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,516
Posts18,509,564
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.