Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by TheSOB
Shot a cow Elk this year using 150 gr. BT out of a 7mm WSM, and it destroyed the front quarters due to fragmentation. The gun really likes the bullets, but for hunting, I prefer something that won't fragment as much.

the impact velocity (25-05, 6.5CM, 270 Win, 7-08, 308, 30-06) of the BT/SST is around 2800fps to keep it from fragmenting. if the impact velocity is greater than 2850fps it will fragment and then you will be left with lung soup and chunks of heart. if the impact velocity is less than 2800fps, then the BT/SST will "mushroom" and most likely it will exit the deer.

this is just my observation of deer hit with the BT/SST.

i like my bullet to mushroom and go out of the deer.

Last edited by tdoyka; 10/25/23.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

GB4

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
I think Nosler increased the jacket thickness for that bullet several years ago!

Good job and good eating!

There has been absolutely NO information released on that subject.

You must have Insider information.

At some point, someone at Nosler had an epiphany and combined a polycarbonate tip with the Solid Base bullet and the Ballistic Tip bullet was born. Since the plastic tip can be any color, Noser assigned different color tips to different calibers. The Ballistic Tip is very accurate, has a high BC and expands rapidly, maximizing the shock to the animal's system. Early examples perhaps expanded too violently, killing light framed animals very quickly with heart/lung shots, but penetration on larger game was sometimes found lacking. Nosler increased the jacket thickness and refined the bullet's performance, increasing penetration. Today, the Ballistic Tip is one of the most versatile and popular premium bullets on the market and it has sparked a "tipped bullet" revolution. Practically every major bullet and ammunition manufacturer has introduced a tipped bullet to compete with the Ballistic Tip.

Even birds know not to land downwind!
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
They’ve come a long way since their introduction.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Classic over penetration

Nice bull

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think Nosler increased the jacket thickness for that bullet several years ago!

Actually there has. Maybe Mule Deer will chime in but Nosler DID toughen up the BT because of it's frangibility8 when it first came out.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

At some point, someone at Nosler had an epiphany and combined a polycarbonate tip with the Solid Base bullet and the Ballistic Tip bullet was born. Since the plastic tip can be any color, Noser assigned different color tips to different calibers. The Ballistic Tip is very accurate, has a high BC and expands rapidly, maximizing the shock to the animal's system. Early examples perhaps expanded too violently, killing light framed animals very quickly with heart/lung shots, but penetration on larger game was sometimes found lacking. Nosler increased the jacket thickness and refined the bullet's performance, increasing penetration. Today, the Ballistic Tip is one of the most versatile and popular premium bullets on the market and it has sparked a "tipped bullet" revolution. Practically every major bullet and ammunition manufacturer has introduced a tipped bullet to compete with the Ballistic Tip.

I don't remember them changing the BT bullet... But I may be wrong.

What most people don't realize is that the larger the caliber, and heavier the BT bullet, the thicker the jacket. It's always been that way.

Frankly I started using BT's out of a .223 hunting coyotes. And again, frankly, the jacket was too thick out of a .223 55gr... It would blow through a coyote and leave a quarter sized exit. Had lots of runners, shot behind or through the shoulders.

Then the V-Max came out. Thinner jacket. Much more explosive expansion, and a runner was rare. Usually no exit with a V-Max either.

Now you take that same BT 55gr bullet and push it out of a 22-250, you get different results. Lots of variables in play. But a BT has never been a "varmint bullet". It's been a hunting bullet.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Ours fail all the time too! Congrats

I actually did read an article about the thicker jackets introduced on the 120 nbt in 7mm. Don't know about the other nbts.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Actually there has. Maybe Mule Deer will chime in but Nosler DID toughen up the BT because of it's frangibility8 when it first came out.
Some calibers and weights needed adjustments, some did not.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
How did you gentle souls come into such information?

Who is Mule Deer?

I am MAGA.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Shrapnel,
Is that a JetStream Lite you are wearing? That's my favorite piece of all. I had to buy my wife one also, as I always caught her wearing mine. I wish they still made them.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

I don't remember them changing the BT bullet... But I may be wrong.

What most people don't realize is that the larger the caliber, and heavier the BT bullet, the thicker the jacket. It's always been that way.

Frankly I started using BT's out of a .223 hunting coyotes. And again, frankly, the jacket was too thick out of a .223 55gr... It would blow through a coyote and leave a quarter sized exit. Had lots of runners, shot behind or through the shoulders.

Then the V-Max came out. Thinner jacket. Much more explosive expansion, and a runner was rare. Usually no exit with a V-Max either.

Now you take that same BT 55gr bullet and push it out of a 22-250, you get different results. Lots of variables in play. But a BT has never been a "varmint bullet". It's been a hunting bullet.

Your best move is to keep your facts to clearing brush, you don't know chit from clay about nosler bullets.

There's always been 2 ballistic tips, the hunting version with thicker jackets and the varmint bullets with thinner jackets.

FFS, read their website or have a 3rd grader read it to you.

Also the jackets on the 120 BT in .284 is substantially thicker than the 140 BT.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
John has mentioned several times that some of the jacket profiles on NBTs had been adjusted through the years.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Who is Mule Deer?

It ain't a secret, Pard. smile

30 cal. BT.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

.22 cal BT.

.22 cal V-Max Hornady

Let us know when you figure out who Mule Deer here is.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Who is Mule Deer?

30 cal. BT.

.22 cal BT.

https://www.nosler.com/products/bullets/product-line/ballistic-tipr-varmint.html

Here, Mr. Nosler Expert, now go find a 3rd grader to read and explain it to you.

Laffin'...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
When I'm loading if the MV is 3000fps or less I use Nosler BT if the MV is over 3000fps I use Nosler Accubonds. It has worked out well for me over the years. The only bullet I refuse to use for anything bigger that coyotes is the Sierra hunting bullets. They just seem too soft and I have seen multiple complete failures on deer. I actually shot a deer below me at about 30 yards with one in 270Win. hitting it in the back down between the shoulder blades. The bullet made a hole about the size of my fist but didn't hold together long enough to enter its chest cavity. Luckily it affected its spine and I got to finish it off with a second shot.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BuzzH

Who is Mule Deer?

30 cal. BT.

.22 cal BT.

https://www.nosler.com/products/bullets/product-line/ballistic-tipr-varmint.html

Here, Mr. Nosler Expert, now go find a 3rd grader to read and explain it to you.

Laffin'...

GFY, Biden Shill.

I've killed more chit than you have ever even seen. With the above mentioned projectiles... Dumbass.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
As most folks know, Nosler makes a bullet that they label a Varmint Bullet and a bullet that they label a Hunting Bullet. That's not how we got started down this path though. Some folks are saying that Nosler changed some of the Hunting Bullets. They did. They changed the jacket profiles on some of them.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hardwoodmaterials
When I'm loading if the MV is 3000fps or less I use Nosler BT if the MV is over 3000fps I use Nosler Accubonds. It has worked out well for me over the years. The only bullet I refuse to use for anything bigger that coyotes is the Sierra hunting bullets. They just seem too soft and I have seen multiple complete failures on deer. I actually shot a deer below me at about 30 yards with one in 270Win. hitting it in the back down between the shoulder blades. The bullet made a hole about the size of my fist but didn't hold together long enough to enter its chest cavity. Luckily it affected its spine and I got to finish it off with a second shot.

Sierra makes quite a few different hunting bullets. Game King, Pro Hunter, Tipped Game King? Caliber, weight within caliber?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Who is Mule Deer?

30 cal. BT.

.22 cal BT.

Laffin'...

GFY, Biden Shill.

I've killed more chit than you have ever even seen. With the above mentioned projectiles... Dumbass.

So, tell me where you full of chit when you claimed the BT was "always a hunting bullet" or just forget to drink your ensure?

Go clear some brush.

Talking bullets of the nosler variety is over your pointed head, by a landslide.

Last edited by BuzzH; 10/26/23.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
So, tell me where you full of chit when you claimed the BT was "always a hunting bullet" or just forget to drink your ensure?

Go clear some brush.

Still a dumbass I see. Your ignorance is showing. Nothing out the ordinary for you though.

https://www.nosler.com/products/bullets/product-line/ballistic-tipr-hunting.html

The combination of performance and versatility that Nosler® has built into these bullets has resulted in over 25 years of successful hunts for sportsmen across the country – and around the world.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1936M71, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1234, 1Longbow, 61 invisible), 2,172 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,930
Posts18,479,895
Members73,953
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.