Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Mrfixit Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I'm done with my rifle project for my son, with the exception of checkering the wood stock. I have decided because of time constraints and the lack of experience on my part I want to have someone else do the checkering. I'm not looking for anything super special or intricate. I think 20lpi 4 panel design would be sufficent.

I've looked at a few websites and I cant tell who is still in business in some cases. I'm asking for recommendations to send it to.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is the guy I use and he is great
http://www.classiccheckering.com/

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Sean Rowland (Stockworks) does gorgeous work at reasonable prices.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Not had them do work for me but they have a long history of service to the shooting public. Been thinking of having them do a simple pattern on an English stock for me. Might call and see about the lead times, etc. A lot of the folks I knew are no longer with us.

https://ahlmans.com/checkering.html

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
You finished it!!?? I hope you post pics. I remember your build thread.

The work I was doing has been sitting on my bench untouched since June. My business is just consuming me.

IC B2

Mrfixit Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Sniggly

The work I was doing has been sitting on my bench untouched since June. My business is just consuming me.

I got it done, uh, mostly. I have to do a final rub down on the stock and put it all together and shoot it 'just to make sure'. But yeah. I've taken pics along the way so I'll do an update. Was hoping to get the checkering done and post the finals.

I will update.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Mrfixit
Originally Posted by Sniggly

I got it done, uh, mostly. I have to do a final rub down on the stock and put it all together and shoot it 'just to make sure'. But yeah. I've taken pics along the way so I'll do an update. Was hoping to get the checkering done and post the finals.

I will update.

I’ll gladly wait for the finished product.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rapier
Not had them do work for me but they have a long history of service to the shooting public. Been thinking of having them do a simple pattern on an English stock for me. Might call and see about the lead times, etc. A lot of the folks I knew are no longer with us.

I've had Ahlman's do a couple of rifles and have been pleased with the work. When they did mine the work was done well, done quickly, and priced reasonably.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

This. They did an awesome job on an Exhibition Grade English Marble stock I had built for my Marine SIL's return from his 2nd Iraq Tour. I later got a grand daughter because of it, ha!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Sherry Abraham has done several checkering projects for me, always well done for reasonable cost and turnaround time.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I haven’t used him, but there have been folks here that have recommended this guy.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...ng/stock-checkering.cfm?gun_id=102482237

Give me land, lots of land, under starry skies above. Don't fence me in.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
tag, I want to be able to find this thread again in the spring

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

I've had Ahlman's do a couple of rifles and have been pleased with the work. When they did mine the work was done well, done quickly, and priced reasonably.

Fellow shooter and gun nut just called Ahlman's inquiring about checkering. From what he gathered, the person that does the majority of checkering has been sick for some time and they are hesitant to take on more checkering work.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Sherry Abraham has done several checkering projects for me, always well done for reasonable cost and turnaround time.
This ^^^ one comes highly recommended and has a helluva pedigree.

Sherry Abraham

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
tag

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
Tag

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (160user, 1minute, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 58 invisible), 2,086 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,044
Posts18,482,162
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.