Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My late Brother hunted desert sheep in Nevada’s Ruby Mountains in the late 90’s. Hard tag to get but his buddy was from Elko and got one. The two of them went in with two horses two mules and told me they glassed quite a few sheep but hadn’t figured an approach. The stumbled onto an old mine road up to 9000’ , very lucky. After a day or two glassed three nice heads and about ten or more ewes. They climbed up a draw then over and saw all of them bedded down or eating. Crawled another four hundred yards or so to find a shooting location when all of a sudden out of nowhere two jet fighter planes came over the ridge very very low scattering every living thing for a mile. They never shot a thing. Fighter training out of Fallon Naval Air Station

Rick

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wow !!!!

Great adventure, Mate !

Kudos, you are 1 tough Fella !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
My brother and I were hunting Dall's in the Alaska Range. 3 times over several days we made a stalk on one or more full-curls, only to bump caribou which charged right through the rams. On our 4th stalk, before we were in position, two F-15s?? came up the valley, a couple hundred yards out, but below us.

I told Bob, " Now, those guys know how to hunt sheep!"

He said, " One more failed stalk, and I'm calling in an airstrike."

"On the sheep or the caribou?"

"It just doesn't matter!"

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Great story and awesome pics!!! Congrats on the ram!

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Most excellent.
Thanks Mark for taking the time to post it all up for us to enjoy.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Great story, felt like we were with you! And a Big Congrads, a much younger M e dreamed of sheep hunting!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well done and well told!! Thank you for sharing!

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by exbiologist
Thanks all. I enjoy trying to get the story of the adventure aspect of these hunts down on paper.
And Woodpecker, thanks for kind words. It really is more meaningful to me to do this myself than to pay for a guide. While a guide might be a better use of my time, I’ve got the equipment and ability to do things like this without their help. This is about the hunt for me, and someone else doing the hunting and prep work might take some of that away from me. This is essentially a once in a lifetime hunt and I wanted to do it from beginning to end.

Getting this done solo was hard, but more rewarding that way.
Hell yeah! DIY is so rewarding especially on a once-in-a lifetime hunt. Congrats!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well done and I really enjoyed the daily journal/pictures format. I use to post some of my hunts in that fashion several years ago and got a kick out of the guys getting impatient for the next post. I can appreciate the effort just posting with pictures takes let alone the actual hunt.
Congratulations!

O
Oak Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Congrats on your ram.

Domestic goats can carry pathogens that cause respiratory disease in wild sheep. CPW recommends you keep pack goats out of bighorn sheep habitat. See the passage below from the sheep and goat regulations brochure.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It’s a domestic sheep grazed unit and a hypocritical stance since they keep signing an MOU with the wool growers to not recommend closures of sheep grazed allotments in exchange for the Wool growers acknowledging that sheep carry diseases.

CPW also recommends I not use lead ammunition.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

O
Oak Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by exbiologist
It’s a domestic sheep grazed unit and a hypocritical stance since they keep signing an MOU with the wool growers to not recommend closures of sheep grazed allotments in exchange for the Wool growers acknowledging that sheep carry diseases.

CPW also recommends I not use lead ammunition.

The MOU expired in 2019 and has not been renewed. Grazing allotments are being vacated in this unit to protect the bighorn herd. Many of them were grazed for the last time this summer.

"There are other risks to the herd so I'm not going to worry about the risk I'm creating" is an interesting position to take.

I didn't post to pick a fight. Only to educate those who read this and think it would be cool to take pack goats on their sheep hunt.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Bravo. Thanks for the adventure. Like someone else said, I’ll ever get the chance to do it but I felt I was there with you.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Great read and pics. Awesome job of putting your hunt/adventure to words. Thanks for sharing! Well done!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
This was a fantastic read and a great hunt. Well done and thanks for sharing with us. I have only been on one sheep hunt, a ewe in the Missouri River Breaks, great times and hope to hunt them again sometime.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oak
Congrats on your ram.

Domestic goats can carry pathogens that cause respiratory disease in wild sheep. CPW recommends you keep pack goats out of bighorn sheep habitat. See the passage below from the sheep and goat regulations brochure.

[Linked Image]

Not necessarily accurate.

https://napga.org/wp-content/upload...-common-misunderstood-publications-2.pdf

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
man, oh man: what a fine story. i'd of paid for a magazine to read it ...

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Someone always has to throw a wet blanket on the fire😡
Great saga you took us on, Mark.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank you for taking the time to chronicle your most excellent hunt! Felt like I was there almost.

Congrats on the sheep! Well done.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Bad Science is often the ghillie suit of a political agenda.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

178 members (6MMWASP, 2500HD, 358wsm, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 24 invisible), 2,053 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,903
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.