Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I have several boxes of Remington.348 Winchester ammunition on hand that are several decades old. Probably 1950s era; possibly even older. Would the brass be negatively effected over this long period of time? I am wondering if the ammunition is fired, would the brass remain satisfactory for reloading.

Last edited by wrongtime; 10/24/23.
GB1

Not an expert.

Got a few boxes of yellow and red Silvertip pre « keep away from children » for almost nothing.

I took the bullets off, deprimed, annealed and reloaded with recent primers and powder.

Worked almost fine one neck split, rest where good for more reloads.

Note that I don’t reload hot

That gun was built based on the modo of the Russian school of ergonomics that says : F...ck you end user! S. Hunter
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The only old ammo I've had fail is brass showing green corrosion. The brass body was pierced by gas upon firing.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If the powder inside the case has deteriorated and created corrosive acid, the brass will be affected. I've seen that a couple times. Some brass seems to get cracks in the neck or can body for no apparent reason as it ages. But, I've shot a fair bit of 40-50 year old ammunition with very few problems.

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Thank you, gentlemen. It’s the possibly deteriorated powder that has me somewhat concerned.

IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
If the rounds look good today; they likely will be fine to both shoot and reload. Of course after you shoot a couple you will know both answers.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I don't shy away from the old stuff (and mind you at age 70 my idea of old stuff differs from that of someone half my age). But, I'm respectful of it in that if it's the least bit dodgy looking I break it down for the brass, and may well start following that protocol for all of it.

What got me thinking that way was I recently acquired a 7mm Remington Rolling Block with a funky long chamber. Needing to create 7x57 brass with a .030" longer case body I hit upon the expedient of partially resizing 8x57's (to create a tiny secondary shoulder) until they just barely fit into the chamber. Plus it was a way to employ a small pile of old 8x57 factory ammo I found in my stash. First step: pull the bullets out of that 50's-vintage ammo whereupon I discovered that the pristine looking cartridges had a lot of green funkiness on the bullets inside the case necks and some were mighty hard to extract. (Powder was ok but got dumped of course.) Got me thinking about how that ammo would've acted had I shot it up instead of dismantling it.

Mind you, I routinely use old brass for a helluva lot of my shooting and my inspection/prep protocols haven't failed me. (I'll cry when a particular lot of Frankford Arsenal 1932 brass finally craps out.) But ancient loaded ammo? Well.....

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have fired decades old factory ammo (that looked in decent shape except maybe for verdigris) with no problems, including a 348 smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The only problem I've encountered with old ammo was a round from a box of .270 Winchester ammo that was probably at least 40 years old. It had been purchased by my stepfather-in-law when he was still living in his native Pennsylvania, but eventually he retired and move to the east coast of Florida, near the ocean, where it was subjected to salt air for around 30 years.

He decided to go deer hunting with me in Montana, and before the hunt shipped me his .270 (a Western Field, made on an FN 98 Mauser commercial action) with iron sights) to mount a scope, because he was 85 and couldn't see irons well enough anymore. He included the box of old ammo, and when I started sighting-in the scope, the case of of the second round cracked about 1/4", just in front of the case head.

Luckily the 98 action deflected the escaping gas and tiny bits of brass, and all I felt was a slight amount of gas on my left cheekbone. So I worked up a handload in new brass for him to use on the hunt....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by wrongtime
I have several boxes of Remington.348 Winchester ammunition on hand that are several decades old. Probably 1950s era; possibly even older. Would the brass be negatively effected over this long period of time? I am wondering if the ammunition is fired, would the brass remain satisfactory for reloading.

Shoot it up. Remington factory ammo will be fine.

I shoot surplus ammo 80 or 90 years old without issue, though some ww2 brit 303 was developing hangfires.

Your ammo will be fine.

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Very little experience with what I’d consider “old” factory ammo. For the sake of argument, I’d say pre-1960. I do have some yellow box .303 Savage that seems to work okay. I have a couple of boxes of Remington.25-20 with 60 grain HP “Mushroom” bullets that split the necks on firing, so I quit shooting them. Have a full box on my desk for decorative purposes. Also have a box of Peters .308 110 grain SP’s that someone gave me, I would date to early’60’s. Never fired any, don’t intend to.

Mathew 22: 37-39

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by plumbum
I shoot surplus ammo 80 or 90 years old without issue, though some ww2 brit 303 was developing hangfires.

Have some .303 military ammo that does the same thing. It's loaded with Cordite.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yeah, I'm the guy who routinely fired away cases of dirt cheap milsurp stuff - WWI-vintage and older - back in the day. How about a case of Spanish-American War vintage 7mm Mauser ammo for $10? As I recall it all went bang and we used it to idly cut down a couple small trees. (It actually doesn't take a heckuva lot of shots to saw off a 6" diameter tree!)

I guess to keep it in perspective that ammo was about as old then as 50's stuff is today.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
LOL, You bet, ammo is meant to be shot....even if you do have to carry tools to extract separated cases etc. I had some old 6.5 Swede that sometimes took up to 1 full second to go off after the striker fall...it is the very best offhand marksmanship training there is.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
I have some 45 ball (WCC 70) and I fired some a few weeks ago and it was 825 fps and extreme spread 23 fps.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by wrongtime

I wouldn't sweat it. You shoot that stuff unless it's encrusted with corrosion. You won't know if it can be reloaded until you have some fired cases in your hand. Clean them up, anneal them and see what happens.

For any ammunition, the two biggest enemies are dampness and temperature swings. For military ammunition at least, modern explosive storage bunkers with SA ammunition are almost always temperature controlled.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by navlav8r
I have some 45 ball (WCC 70) and I fired some a few weeks ago and it was 825 fps and extreme spread 23 fps.

1970? Haha, I call that "new"!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was given some white box 303 British of undetermined age a while back. About 60% of it had split necks, even though the brass was not badly tarnished. I pulled all the bullets and dumped the powder into the garden.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by navlav8r

1970? Haha, I call that "new"!!

Beat me to it!

Mathew 22: 37-39

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I have some Winchester 30/40 Krag ammunition which is 1930's vintage. I fired four of them through my 30/40 Lee Enfield, and each one split lengthwise about 1/4 inch ahead of the web. Velocity was consistent at around 2450 and accuracy was good. I pulled the bullet on a fifth cartridge and everything looked fine. The chamber on this rifle is minimum dimension and there is little expansion. This brass just seems to be brittle. GD

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

504 members (260Remguy, 1minute, 270cowboy, 257 roberts, 1badf350, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,431 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,424
Posts18,489,150
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.