Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I talked with JRowan and he gave me a good heads up on the area. Thanks again JR.

NRA Life Member
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Spotshooter, it can happen that way, but we have had the drought here and there is still cover for the birds everywhere. Course most all the farm ground is center pivot irrigated. We have had good numbers of birds for the past 5 or 6 years, with last year being really good. This year is even better, even though we had the mega ice last winter. The weekend before opening day here I had gone out and during late afternoon in a 100 yd square area on a wheat field I counted 28 pheasants. This was bordering a CRP field.

I need to take my I-Que out some night when I get home and record the pheasants at dark. Its really neat to hear them all around the house.

Edited to add:
They are saying we are to get 2-3 inches of white stuff friday night, so the hunting saturday morning should be perfect. I am thinking they may be calling my name (not real sure yet as its really soft call) will no for sure tomorrow. You have my # so call if you need a spot to go.

Last edited by JRowan; 12/20/07.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Just returned from the hiway "96" corridor. Made it back to CO just before the snow..:( T'was a muddy mess the further east we went.Around Scott and Ness, a lot of county rds were next to impassable. Finally found some crp accessable near Leoti. We saw a fair number of very skittish birds.

"Death ain't nothin' but a speckled pony, that ain't never been rode"
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
We made it without much weather problems. Found some nice spots near Garden City and stayed there. Snow and wind were wicked Sat morn but by the afternoon was pretty tolerable. The snow made the conditions pretty good. Able to flush a few coveys of pheasant and shoot a few too. Some flushing at a distance but a lot holding tight. We probably saw 100 birds total. We initially tried farther west but looked more like quail country but the farmed fields really started up around Garden City and we never looked back. JRowan, sorry we did not make it out your way, I hope you weathered the storm well. Thanks again for the info. My tired dog.

[Linked Image]

NRA Life Member
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The snow was nice, the wind as always su__ed. Am glad you found birds that held for you.

Sunday I left the house at 8:00 pm to go out coyote calling, since it was almost full moon and the snow on the ground. In Kansas you cant use artifical light to hunt coyotes, so you do what you can. No coyotes seen or heard that night, but the pheasants were cackling big time at about 9:30 pm.

I went driving around Monday morning and saw bunches of birds in the green wheat fields.

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

304 members (204guy, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 117LBS, 219 Wasp, 10gaugeman, 38 invisible), 2,546 guests, and 1,089 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,446
Posts18,528,759
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.