Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
SupFoo Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
US military boot orders have kept Belleville Shoe company in business for decades

It’s been going on for decades.

Every few years, a southern Illinois congressman sends out a news release, announcing that Belleville Shoe Manufacturing Co. has been awarded a multimillion-dollar government contract to make boots for the military. The size of orders vary, along with boot types — jungle or desert, lightweight or waterproof, assault or training.

The announcements always describe the company as the “oldest and leading manufacturer of boots for the U.S. military,” and they always tout the potential for jobs and other economic impacts.

Boot orders from the U.S. Department of Defense have helped keep Belleville Shoe in business since at least World War II. How much do those contracts benefit the city of Belleville today, given that the company has two other factories in Arkansas and one in Missouri?

Yvonne Coffey, Belleville Shoe’s director of human resources, said about 200 of the company’s 700 employees now work in Belleville. That compares to 250 at its factory in DeWitt, Arkansas, and 125 each at factories in Forrest City, Arkansas, and Carthage, Missouri.

Starting with boys shoes .......

William Weidmann, son of German immigrants, co-founded Belleville Shoe in 1904 after persuading four friends to invest in the company. He was unemployed after manufacturing farm machinery and serving as assistant postmaster.....

The company got its first contract to produce shoes for the military in 1940, according to Homer Weidmann’s history.

“Out of 96 factories which made military shoes during WWII, Belleville Shoe was one of only three installations awarded the Army-Navy ‘E’ for Excellence, and the only factory never late in delivery to the Armed Forces,” he wrote.

Today, Belleville Shoe remains a private company whose shareholders are descendants of William Weidmann.

“We’ve all been very proud of the company’s contribution to military supplies,” said Carolyn “DeDe” Farquhar, William Weidmann’s great-granddaughter. “But it is the men and women who are working and have worked at Belleville Shoe who deserve the credit for the excellent product they produce.”

The company stamps it on many of its more than 50 styles of military and tactical boots. Some soldiers call them “Bellevilles” for short.

AMN - Much More Here

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
A photo of military boots during the deployment ceremony for the Alabama Army National Guard 128th Military Police Company leaving for Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

Last edited by SupFoo; 10/28/23.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
And damned good ones too. Still wear mine and I retired in 2011. With the right socks there's nothing better for protecting your feet in rough terrain . . . IMHO.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This IS good news. I thought the answer was gonna be “China”.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Some are showing as imported.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
If they are purchased by the military and issued to servicemembers, they have to be made in USA.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JRaw
If they are purchased by the military and issued to servicemembers, they have to be made in USA.
Maybe so but if you go to their website they have some shown as made in the USA and some as imported.

They aren't strictly military supply.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by JRaw

China Joe will probably give those contracts to the slants before his fake term is up.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So did I! If not China, surely Mexico!

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I had to spit polish mine.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
First day of basic training I’d have said they were made in Hell,lol.

At Fort Benning back then, it was civilian Niqqers handing out the military issue clothing. I’d worn a size 9 1/2 -10 shoe since 9th grade and this Coon hands me 2 pairs of 8s! There was no recourse but to move along down the line. I was told they would “stretch”…. they did not. A couple days of this and I was nearly done. A guy couple bunk rows down I’d never met offered me one of his size 9 pair. We were supposed to wear a pair one day clean them after lights out and wear the other pair the next day to rotate. So me and Bill just wore the one pair each and left the size 8s in mint condition next to the bunk in the neat little rows of running shoes, shower shoes boots.

Those 9s broke in easy and were them some of the most comfortable, toughest boots I’ve ever owned. I still have both pairs the 8s looking brand new.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’m not gonna applaud just because one item is made in USA when so much else is made in China.

Most of my combat boots I had custom made to my specific specifications in South Korea because Issue chit sucked.

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Thank you for the History Lesson. I had no idea the company was that old, or still had the government contract after all this time.

What are the running shoes you speak of. When I was in the Army 1971-1973 those black Combat Boots were Running Shoes.
I totally agree, they were very well made boots back then. No experience with late production combat boots, but my guess would be that they are still very well made boots today.

My last two pair of boots have been Carolina's, also USA Made. I just had the older pair restitched, and resoled to the tune of $130. They look to be back in good as new condition.

I still have and use my Shoe Shine Kit from 1971. The Black Leather Bag is still in great shape. The Black Shoe Shine Brush is labeled National No. 32 USA 100% Sterilized Horsehair $1.95. The Brown Brush that I use the most now days must have been picked up a little later. It is marked a little differently, but made exactly the same. Also a great USA Made Product.

Bob R

Last edited by Viper225; 10/29/23.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I lived in a subdivision next to the Belleville Shoe factory while I was stationed at Scott AFB. They will NOT sell boots factory direct.

Medics bury their mistakes..

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (1234, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 17Hunter, 163bc, 75 invisible), 2,064 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,829
Posts18,496,617
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.