Hop To
#1886734 12/21/07
M
Mando Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Any of you shotgun aficionados hunt with an A-5? I have a Belgian Light Twelve that I love! It is a precision-built work of art! I wish I had one in 20 gauge.

BTW, is there a difference between a Belgian A-5 and the later Japanese A-5 or are they in essence the same shotgun?

Merry Christmas,

Mando

Last edited by Mando; 12/21/07.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
'Mando:

Oh yes.

Light Twelve:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sweet Sixteens:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I like Belgium Brownings.

rb

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
rick it looks like i need to come over for diner i've done some duck hunting with light twelve but mostly stays in

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I would love to have an A-5. Hunting partner has a 20. I have shot clay pigeons with it a bit. The long "twang" with the light target loads was a bit disconcerting at first, but I do not hold that against it. High school friend's father had a 16 that he could never get to cycle. It wasn't until years later that I learned about the short (European) chambered 16s. I wish that I had picked it up at the auction following Warnie's passing.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Mando Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Rick,

Pretty impressive. Do you hunt Imperial County? How about the High Desert Hunt Club?

Do you have another A-5 besides your Light Twelve? I'd like to get my hands on an A-5 20 gauge.

Merry Christmas,

Mando

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have an old Belgium A5 Light Twelve that I've packed a lot over the years. I really like it, but "Light" isn't a term I would apply to it. The Benelli M1's have pretty much replaced it in the field. But it isn't for sale... wink

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
The A5's are great guns. I own 4 at this time. I like the finsh and workmanship of the Belgium A5 better then the Jap A5's but the Jap A5's are good guns. Normaly a Belgium gun will bring more money, assuming simular condition.

The Jap barrels with screw in chokes are needed or at least probably a better choice for steel shot. I have a 3 inch Mag Jap 12ga that I keep for steel shot. And I have another really old FN marked but not marked with the Browning name, A5 with a solid rib and a Cutts compensator choke that I personally have literally shot hundreds and hundreds of rounds out of, and it was well used and abused before I got it. I think it was made in the 1920's and still works like brand new, 100% reliable.

T
TDF Offline
T
Bought a 1920's A5 in 16ga a couple of years ago. Nailed a cottontail with it the next morning. Haven't hunted much with it though. Guess I'll have to rectify that.

[Linked Image]

M
Mando Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
TDF,

Or sell it to me!!!

Merry Christmas,

Mando

M
Mando Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
MOGC,

Originally Posted by MOGC
I have an old Belgium A5 Light Twelve that I've packed a lot over the years. I really like it, but "Light" isn't a term I would apply to it. The Benelli M1's have pretty much replaced it in the field. But it isn't for sale... wink

I agree. Mine weighs over seven pounds. But because it is such a beautiful work of art, I tolerate the weight!

Merry Christmas,

Mando

IC B3

M
Mando Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
5sdad,

If I were presented with the choice of a Model 12 in 20 gauge or an A-5 in 20 gauge, I would be concussed.

Merry Christmas,

Mando

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anybody looking to unload a Belgian Sweet Sixteen, let me know. I'll trade for money, marbles, or mash.

rb

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by RickBin
I'll trade for money, marbles, or mash.

rb
LMAO....

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
M
Mando Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Hell, I'll find a Sweet Sixteen and give it to you if you take my mother-in-law!!!

M
Mando Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Why did manufacture of the A-5 cease? Was it competition of gas operated shotguns? Cost to manufacture?

I could see where it would have been expensive for manufacture the A-5. There does not appear to be a single stamped part on mine.

Merry Christmas,

Mando

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Cost of mfg. mostly. The old A5's were all hand fitted and usually one bbl would not fit another A5 without the help of a gunsmith due to close tolerances. The jap made ones are fully interchangable because they were made to lees exacting tollerances. They are now made in Belgium and assembled in Portugal, better than the Japanese ones but still short of the original.
Whoever had the one that wouldn't cycle probably didn't know about the adjustable friction rings inside the forend that allow the gun to cycle high and low brass rounds properly with a minor adj.

Never try to teach a pig to sing...
...it wastes your time and annoys the pig!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by uncle joe
The old A5's were all hand fitted and usually one bbl would not fit another A5 without the help of a gunsmith due to close tolerances. The jap made ones are fully interchangable because they were made to lees exacting tollerances. They are now made in Belgium and assembled in Portugal, better than the Japanese ones but still short of the original.
Untrue on all counts. Where do you come up with this stuff? confused

Otherwise I'd like to know where I can buy a new "Made in Belgium Assembled in Portugal" Auto 5.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 308ld, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,476 guests, and 809 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,635
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.