Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Making room in the safe and this one is never taken out or shot. Maybe someone else would be able to put it back into service. 300 Savage. Has defiantly been used, but other wise in good condition but has a tang sight so not original. Ready to hunt.

What is a fair price in todays market?

Attached Images
Savage 99 TD 258XXX.jpg (11.83 KB, 326 downloads)
Last edited by FSJeeper; 10/29/23.
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Its really a bit difficult speculating on the value of firearms. Its one thing to have a interest in the history and technology of a firearm and then it can be something completely different being an expert on value or price. There are a lot of variables to take into consideration beyond looking at a single photograph. My best advice would be to ask your local gun shops, look through gun shows and find comps on the various firearms auction and sale websites. And then take into consideration that a lot of those firearms take a while to sell because they either have limited markets or, as is most often the case, are overpriced. Look for comps on websites and adjust your price accordingly, especially if its a quick sale you want.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I have looked on-line. Pricing varies considerably. I just want it to go to a good home where it will be used and appreciated. Do you think $1000 is too much?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Check the buttplate and buttstock for serial number stamps that match the receiver.

That might help in figuring the price.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by FSJeeper
I have looked on-line. Pricing varies considerably. I just want it to go to a good home where it will be used and appreciated. Do you think $1000 is too much?

I'll say what I've said to other guys, 1K seems to be a good going price for a decent EG in 300. That's my baseline of comparison. One-K might be a good starting point for your 99 and it sounds like that's what you would be comfortable with. Sounds to me like you should start there with a solid description of condition and pictures and see what happens. If it sells then great and if not come back in a few days and bump in down accordingly. There's a shop not far from where I live that has a decent early 20s 22-inch barrel takedown in 303 for 800-bucks, but they really don't know didley about 99s. As a matter of fact most shops these days probably couldn't tell you the difference between Arthur's Savage's 99 and Get Smart's Agent 99. Best of luck and I hope you get it sold soon!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Rick99
99-B with a SGB, 1924...unusual.

SGB?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Otherwise known as a 99F, unless that’s a 26 inch barrel.

Last edited by Jaaack; 10/30/23. Reason: Added second phrase.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by damnesia

SGB?

Shotgun butt

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jaaack

Otherwise known as a 99F, unless that’s a 26 inch barrel.

I too would call that an F. Crescent butt plate would make it a B.

Not?

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
1K might be a stretch.

From the one photo, the receiver is grey and it's been heavily sanded.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I need to get better pics. Never been sanded or messed with, just a good Ole used hunting rfle that has some some years on it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I need to get better pics. Never been sanded or messed with, just a good Ole used hunting rfle that has some some years on it.

There are no raised checks on that rifle's buttstock. They have either been sanded off or the wood has been replaced.

~Admiral Yamamoto~

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Oops, yeah.. that front sight is an integral front sight. So a 99F in 300 Savage with 24" barrel. It should have a shotgun buttplate.

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
99guy, not sure what you mean by raised checks on the stock. Please explain this better so I can know what to look for.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Go on Gunbroker and look at 99s. You will see that 99 butt stocks typically have raised pieces of wood, or sculptured panels, adjacent the receiver end of the stock. The raised panels are unique to 99 butt stocks and are often referred to as cheek pieces. Some of the lower end 99s did not have them for, what I figure, cost savings in manufacturing to keep the price point of the rifle down. When you see the cheek pieces missing it usually means that the rifle was a lower priced gun (including carbines) or that a previous owner had refinished the stock and sanded them off.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
99guy, not sure what you mean by raised checks on the stock. Please explain this better so I can know what to look for.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You can see the raised cheek panels in the picture below. Your early F should have them as well. The only guns made before the war that didn't have them that I am aware of were some of the early H carbines. It is not unusual to see the "cheeks" sanded down smooth as they appear to be in the picture you provided.

~Admiral Yamamoto~

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 99guy
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
That's a very nicely fitting buttstock on that 99RT.. and my fancified 99RT/99T/whatever has the same type with fluted comb. Does the buttstock serial number match on yours?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
So I'll stick my neck out here and venture a guess on the value of your rifle. It appears to be an early 20s 99F takedown. I'd say a reasonable price on an F of that period in good original shape would be somewhere north of 1K but not likely over $1250.00. And with the latter the seller would have to be comfortable sitting on the rifle until the right buyer came along. An F with issues would be south of 1K but likely over $500.00, if in sound shooting condition. And I say $500.00 because what does 500-bucks buy you anymore?! So in assessing value I would make a check list of condition issues (bluing, bore, wood, sights, etc.) and start adjusting downward from 1K with every item on the list. Or just set a really reasonable price to let it go down the road to whoever wants a shooter or project gun, or wants to dip their toes into the world of takedowns. And that's my two cents worth which, when adjusted for inflation, barely carries the value of a penny.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Here's a couple of 99G's in 300 Savage that sold in the last couple weeks.
Compare the condition on your gun to these. Go from there.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1008168278
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1002220287

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
There are some who wouldn’t purchase a non-original gun

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (16penny, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,388 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,139
Posts18,484,059
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.