-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I had fired 3 1/2" lead in my Nova, I would have the same opinion you did. I used pheasant loads and 2 3/4" turkey loads and loved mine. Plus it functioned perfectly, so that helps.

I had both Mossbergs and H&R single shots, I consider myself a knowledgeable victim of both companies.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Originally Posted by Blackheart
NEF singles are junk. Don't know how many we had come in for repair but broken trigger guards, forearm studs broken loose from barrels and broken transfer bars come to mind when I think NEF/H&R single. They were designed to be the absolute cheapest gun on the gun store shelf and anyone who "sheds guns that lack quality" shouldn't have one in their collection for long. Mossberg and Ithaca 37 forearms are loose and rattly because of too much clearance between the action bar tube and magazine tube. { I guess Ithacas lack quality too}. Both Mossberg and Ithaca use indents spaced around the circumference of the action tube front and rear which are the only thing that actually contact/ride the magazine tube. To eliminate the excess space between the forearm tube and magzine tube and hence eliminate the rattle, one only needs to deepen those dents. I don't know why they don't adjust their specs and do it at the factory. Certainly it wouldn't cost any more. Having left the gun repair business in 1992 soon after it's introduction and never having one come into the shop, I'm not familiar with the 835 or any shortcomings in it's design/construction. I assume it's based on the 500/590 design enlarged to handle the 3.5" shell. The 500/590 while not finely fitted/finished examples of the gun makers art are solid, durable, dependable.

I guess you love your junk and I'll love mine.

Out of 7 or 8 dedicated turkey guns laying around here...... I still grab my NEF every time.

I only sell a gun if I absolutely hate it. In over 40 years, I've only ever sold TWO........ A Remington 700 ADL Synthetic ......... and a Mossberg 835.

YMMV. Carry on.
I've owned about every pump shotgun made over the years. I like pumps and still have several in the safe to choose from. 95% of the time if I'm hunting something that requires a shotgun, I'm walking out the door with one of my 500's.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 19352012
If I had fired 3 1/2" lead in my Nova, I would have the same opinion you did. I used pheasant loads and 2 3/4" turkey loads and loved mine. Plus it functioned perfectly, so that helps.

I had both Mossbergs and H&R single shots, I consider myself a knowledgeable victim of both companies.
Somebody loves the plastic fantastic rattle box Nova sticking his nose in the air at any other shotgun is pretty funny. Did you ever notice where the "made by Mattel" label was located ?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Somebody loves the plastic fantastic rattle box Nova sticking his nose in the air at any other shotgun is pretty funny. Did you ever notice where the "made by Mattel" label was located ?

LMAO !!!!!!

My kid has a Super Nova.

Thing patterns like a mo-fo (like every Nova and Super Nova I ever shot did) !!! But, I call it his "Italian Mossberg". Loose, rattling, plastic P.O.S.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

LMAO !!!!!!

My kid has a Super Nova.

Thing patterns like a mo-fo (like every Nova and Super Nova I ever shot did) !!! But, I call it his "Italian Mossberg". Loose, rattling, plastic P.O.S.
I shouldn't make fun. I have a CZ 612 in the safe. I knew they were Turkish junk but my wife liked the looks of it so I bought it for her.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lol. My favorite shotgun is a $136 Pardner Pump 20ga. Mossbergs aren't even cheap, check the prices on them. I haven't touched one in years because my hinder is still scarred from the ones years ago. My H&R single shot was just as bad. All a shotgun needs to do is function and fire when asked. The 5 shotguns I'm experienced with could not deliver on that. The Benelli Nova could. Idk what else to say.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have two Super Novas. I like them. My version with a 26" vent rib barrel shoots a little bit higher than some of my others. For that reason, I don't hunt with it a lot anymore. But if it was my only gun, I might never notice where it hits and just get used to it. But it patterns very well. And it's very reliable. Never had a malfunction no matter the shell or brand, even Hornadys that have been a problem in other guns. For the price, it's outstanding.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I have a Super Nova Tactical as a house defense gun. I've hunted deer with it, too. I've never had a slug gun that shoots foster and Brenneke slugs as accurately as this gun. It will cloverleaf Remington Sluggers and Brennekes at 50 yards. It's, likewise, been perfectly reliable. My biggest gripe is the safety placement. I don't like it in front of the trigger. I like a tang saftey best, and a safety behind the trigger next. But the gun functions. Never had a malfunction of any kind no matter how fast I shuck it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by 10Glocks; 10/29/23.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I have a model 500 crown grade that I bought on sale for 229.00 with both a 28" vent ribbed and rifled slug barrel at Dicks in 1997. That gun has been my most used shotgun for everything since. I've killed more grouse, pheasants, rabbits, squirrels, turkeys, fox, coyote, ducks and geese with that gun than you could fit in a boxcar and there are 21 bucks on my walls taken with the slug barrel. Not one malfunction or breakdown in all these years despite some rough treatment, including being left out in the yard under 6" of snow for two days when it was forgotten after taking pics of a buck I killed with it, being dropped 18' out of a tree stand one evening and much use in inclement weather. The woodwork has been refinished twice, the barrel and mag tube reblued twice and much of the anodizing is worn off the receiver but she just keeps on suckin em up and spittin em out with never a hitch.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
In over 40 years, I've only ever sold TWO........ A Remington 700 ADL Synthetic....

YMMV. Carry on.

My mileage exactly. Bought a 700 ADL synthetic new and it was gone within the year. Lousy handling gun.

On the 835 - watched my brother pull the trigger on it once with 3.5" shells. "Here," he said, "you try," handing it to me with his left arm as his right arm and shoulder still tingling and hurting. I laughed and walked away, no thanks.

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself. It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409

"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer

Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
A 835 with 3.5s will hurt ya

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
op Here again..

If I bought a 835, id only shoot 3 inch.
I went to my fy=unstore to try things...

Held the winchester sxp turket specuial.. felt solid, liked the sights and inflex recoil pad.
They have 835s on clearance. Just didnt feel real solid
Held the 500 turkey version.. much lighter.
Nothing spoke to me, but...
Didnt look at Nova's. my duck hunting buddy's son had one and its had durability issues and it was a throwaway gun. Although I like the ghost ring version...

Handled a remington 870 fieldmaster compact 20 gauge.. what a solid feeling little gun. 18.75 inch barrel and drilled and tapped. I should compare it to a camo mossberg 20, but it realy felt solid.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I know it is a personal thing, but I like the 870's best of most all the pumps on the market. A Browning BPS could get my attention as well as an Ithaca 37, but all would be measured against the 870.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by humdinger
Originally Posted by hookeye
Mossbergs......thick wristed and crude.

Dont care for em.

IMHO save up and buy something better

Got any suggestions?

I see winchster sxp online and want to handle one.
I liked holding the new rem 870s fieldmasters and they are drilled and tapped in the standard version.
Hard to beat a good 870. A lot of aftermarket support if one wants to make small upgrades, plus like you said, drilled for an optic.

One buddy has the new Fieldmaster, nice shotgun.

His BIL has a newer SXP in 20 Guage camo. I wouldn't be scared of the Winchester. I like them even better now since they have gone to a backbored barrel and use the Invector + choke system.
Mossberg 500 is a better/more durable gun than the Winchester 1200/1300/SXP ever was. The Winchester suffers several weak points in it's design. The most common cause of breakdown being the plastic collar securing the magazine tube to the receiver. Replace the plastic safety button with an aftermarket steel or aluminum button and a Mossberg will rarely have problems. I do it to all of mine as a matter of course and have never had a failure/malfunction in many 10's of thousands of rounds.

Having run many 1200 and 1300 shotguns hard along with several Mossbergs I disagree. The 1200's handle better, smoother actions and are better looking. Had one problem ever, bought a used one and the ejector was missing. Put one in and still have it. Never had a magazine issue other than a spring that went weak another easy fix. Leave em loaded long enough and the springs will get weak on any of them.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by pullit
I know it is a personal thing, but I like the 870's best of most all the pumps on the market. A Browning BPS could get my attention as well as an Ithaca 37, but all would be measured against the 870.
I have three of them, an old Wingmaster which is a slick nice shotgun with pretty wood. Use it for dove hunting. Next is a Express slug gun with a rifled barrel which after some fooling with it became a reliable and finally pretty slick operating shotgun that shoots Hornady SST sabots really well. Last is an old 870 Express in 20 gauge that has been through hell and done all asked of it. That one never actually smoothed up much. My favorite pump is the old 1300 I bought new back in 92. I shoot it best, guess thats why. The 870's are my second favorite and Mossbergs are ok if the weather really sucks.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by earlybrd

Hardest I ever been hit under the eye was an early model 835 with 3.5" Winchester High Velocity shells.

I didn't shoulder it correctly and the comb smacked me right underneath my right eye. I put it back in the case and was done for the day, lol.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have had the BPS in 12 and 10, 870 in 12 only I think, 1300s in 12, Nova 20 gauge and a 20 gauge Mossberg 500.

Of all of them the BPS is my favorite. Heavier than a Remington but they feel like they operate tighter if that makes sense.

The only real drawback to the BPS is assembly and disassembly. They are a Browning so nothing is easy. Drop the trigger group and you better be ready for a fun time reassembling.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 10/30/23.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only real drawback to the BPS is assembly and disassembly. They are a Browning so nothing is easy. Drop the trigger group and you better be ready for a fun time reassembling.

That ain't no lie.

Closest I've come to crying in the last 45 years....... Dropped the trigger group outta my BPS 10 so I could clean it inside.

😬😬😬

NEVER AGAIN.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by humdinger
Originally Posted by hookeye
Mossbergs......thick wristed and crude.

Dont care for em.

IMHO save up and buy something better

Got any suggestions?

I see winchster sxp online and want to handle one.
I liked holding the new rem 870s fieldmasters and they are drilled and tapped in the standard version.
Hard to beat a good 870. A lot of aftermarket support if one wants to make small upgrades, plus like you said, drilled for an optic.

One buddy has the new Fieldmaster, nice shotgun.

His BIL has a newer SXP in 20 Guage camo. I wouldn't be scared of the Winchester. I like them even better now since they have gone to a backbored barrel and use the Invector + choke system.
Mossberg 500 is a better/more durable gun than the Winchester 1200/1300/SXP ever was. The Winchester suffers several weak points in it's design. The most common cause of breakdown being the plastic collar securing the magazine tube to the receiver. Replace the plastic safety button with an aftermarket steel or aluminum button and a Mossberg will rarely have problems. I do it to all of mine as a matter of course and have never had a failure/malfunction in many 10's of thousands of rounds.

Having run many 1200 and 1300 shotguns hard along with several Mossbergs I disagree. The 1200's handle better, smoother actions and are better looking. Had one problem ever, bought a used one and the ejector was missing. Put one in and still have it. Never had a magazine issue other than a spring that went weak another easy fix. Leave em loaded long enough and the springs will get weak on any of them.

My first shotgun of my own was a 1200. Been running without a hiccup since 1978.

Also have a 1300 (and gave another to my brother) that's never had a single issue.

The 1200/1300 platform is just SO much nicer (IMO) than any of the Mossberg pumps. If the Winchesters had tang safeties they'd be absolute perfection.

Never any pox on the 870 platform, either. Built like tanks.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Originally Posted by StudDuck
Originally Posted by earlybrd

Hardest I ever been hit under the eye was an early model 835 with 3.5" Winchester High Velocity shells.

I didn't shoulder it correctly and the comb smacked me right underneath my right eye. I put it back in the case and was done for the day, lol.
I’m gonna fill my butt stock with bbs one of these days

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by pullit

So whats the thoughts on 1985 Browing bps 20 gauge with the upland stock and 22 inch barrel?

(its currently serving bedroom shotgun duty and I have a meadow creek mount that may work...)

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (257_X_50, 222Sako, 1_deuce, 2500HD, 257 mag, 1minute, 62 invisible), 2,577 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,562
Posts18,473,169
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.