Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
kappa8 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Just that. Cabela's has really taken a nose dive since the Bass Pro takeover. Got a couple hunnerd points left before I ditch the black card once & for all.

What other affinity cards out there offer good points-back rewards? I have a Sapphire visa, but using those points for flight mileage is a pain in the arse. Wife and I also have Costco cards but, for sake of separation of purchases, I want something else for my hobbies & hunting expenditures.

What are your favorite outdoor/hunting cards which give good perks? I spend $20-30K annually, so looking for something to maximize rewards.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
USAA here...

Seems to be the least communist CC out there.

YMMV

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I got rid of my Cabelas card recently and went with a Scheels card. Im not convinced the cards attributes are any better than the other but I have come to like the people and product in the Scheels stores far more than Cabelas.
If I’m going to doddle around with a card that has merchandise points, might as well be Scheels.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I dropped my Cabelas black 10-12 years ago. I went with a Scheels card It’s not great in terms of points earned, but their store is fantastic.

NRA Patron
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Fact is, they all suck. I don't carry a balance and use the rewards to take an otherwise expensive family trip every 3-4 years.

Capital One Venture Card. Wife does same with a Hilton card.

IC B2

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by CashisKing
USAA here...

Seems to be the least communist CC out there.

YMMV

Ditto

K
kappa8 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by CBB15
I don't carry a balance and use the rewards to take an otherwise expensive family trip every 3-4 years.

Ditto. Zero balance, and I love being rewarded by other people's poor financial choices to carry a balance & pay high interest rates.

Living in metro Detroit area, no Scheel's anywhere close, or I'd bite. But they do have a great $70 e-gift card promotion if approved for their card thru Halloween. Their spiff program is only "okay", nothing really exciting:

3 POINTS PER $1 spent on SCHEELS purchases.

1 POINT PER $1 spent everywhere else.

$25 GIFT CARDS automatically awarded for every 2,500 points you earn.

1,500 BONUS POINTS after the first purchase made with your card outside of SCHEELS.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The one point I might add is to join Active Junky https://www.activejunky.com/invite/214854

Then FROM AJ... go to Scheels, BPS and get a extra 7% rebate...

HD, Lowes, Walmart, FleaBay etc. couple of precent...

Check comes every few months...

Maybe put $1k back in your pocket a year...

You also use any CC you want for those points or whatever.

I know $1k ain't a lot, but it is for stuff you are gonna buy anyway.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Alaska airlines card. It's saved me a ton of money as I travel there at least once a year. Between the free tickets and companion fares, well worth it.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The one point I might add is to join Active Junky https://www.activejunky.com/invite/214854

NOTE... Go to AJ first... then thru them... hit the stores they sponsor.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by CBB15
Fact is, they all suck. I don't carry a balance and use the rewards to take an otherwise expensive family trip every 3-4 years.

Capital One Venture Card. Wife does same with a Hilton card.

That is exactly what we do... One thing we like is that with them, if any charge over a set amount (we have it at $20) is made, we get a text notification of the charge... even if someone gets the number again, we can stop them from using it fast.. (not that we would have to pay for it but I just hate a thief that much)

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Scheels here.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by kappa8
Just that. Cabela's has really taken a nose dive since the Bass Pro takeover. Got a couple hunnerd points left before I ditch the black card once & for all.

What other affinity cards out there offer good points-back rewards? I have a Sapphire visa, but using those points for flight mileage is a pain in the arse. Wife and I also have Costco cards but, for sake of separation of purchases, I want something else for my hobbies & hunting expenditures.

What are your favorite outdoor/hunting cards which give good perks? I spend $20-30K annually, so looking for something to maximize rewards.

We have the Sapphire card also and use it the most. Don't have any trouble using the points to buy flights. It is a lot better than using miles because there are zero black out dates. We also use the Alaska airlines miles, but found a sweet spot in buying them outright to get the flights we want. Mainly overseas flights.

We get better "point" value from the Chase Sappire and Hilton Aspire Amex than any of the store brand cards. There is a website that covers this pretty comprehensively called The Points Guy. www.thepointsguy.com

K
kappa8 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Longbob
We have the Sapphire card also and use it the most. Don't have any trouble using the points to buy flights. It is a lot better than using miles because there are zero black out dates. We also use the Alaska airlines miles, but found a sweet spot in buying them outright to get the flights we want. Mainly overseas flights.

We get better "point" value from the Chase Sappire and Hilton Aspire Amex than any of the store brand cards. There is a website that covers this pretty comprehensively called The Points Guy. www.thepointsguy.com

Thanks LB. We also used the Sapphire card for overseas travel, but only for the base economy ticket. My friend is a United gazillion mile member and upgrades us with her points. 'Cept that process is a PIA because ticket was purchased with unaffiliated CC miles, so United loves screwing with you. Actually, all airlines do the same - make any tweak and spend 2+ hours on phone.

To me Scheel's is another generic hunt website without ability to visit their retail locations. Really unfortunate there are no Scheel's closer to Detroit...I'd get their card based on everyone's recommendations.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
We have used Capital One for many years.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

NOTE... Go to AJ first... then thru them... hit the stores they sponsor.
You need a paypal account. Oh hell no.

Gun Owners of America
Escapee's RV Club
Elks
Moose
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by kappa8
Originally Posted by Longbob

Thanks LB. We also used the Sapphire card for overseas travel, but only for the base economy ticket. My friend is a United gazillion mile member and upgrades us with her points. 'Cept that process is a PIA because ticket was purchased with unaffiliated CC miles, so United loves screwing with you. Actually, all airlines do the same - make any tweak and spend 2+ hours on phone.

To me Scheel's is another generic hunt website without ability to visit their retail locations. Really unfortunate there are no Scheel's closer to Detroit...I'd get their card based on everyone's recommendations.

You are welcome. We have a lot of miles on American and have found that the blackouts can be difficult to book the right flight. We will normally search to see if there is a flight/seat we want with the points and book it first for one of our tickets. They rarely have two award flights available especially if we are trying to fly business class overseas. Then we will go back in and purchase the other seat with the Sapphire points because it is an outright purchase in AA's eyes.

One of the best deals are the Alaskan airline miles especially if you are flying to Asia or Europe. We booked 4 business class tickets for us and our daughters to Japan in direct flights to Tokyo in April. The business class tickets would have been just under $10,000 each, but we were able to get everything by buying the miles outright for slightly less than the coach. The miles redemption rate at that time was half of what American miles would have been and it was on exactly the same JAL flights.

The only thing I would have done differently was to find a better flight that left from Haneda than Narita. Haneda was where we flew into, Narita was our return. It is a long ways away from Tokyo where Heneda is right in the thick of things.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
When Capitol One took over Cabelas, I called Navy Federal and got a cash rewards card. I get 1.75%. I am not limited on where I can spend my reward. Cabelas quality went down and it was difficult spending my points.

I have not missed Cabelas at all!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Straight cash hommie

Camp is where you make it.
K
kappa8 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by tzone
Straight cash hommie

Nah, I payoff my monthly balance with cash and get free money for using CC.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (300_savage, 69sportfury, 17CalFan, Alan_C, akpls, 11 invisible), 1,588 guests, and 928 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,562
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.