24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Hi all,

I bought a used #1 that someone re-barreled to 9.3x74R. It functions fine mechanically, but whoever cut the chamber botched it. Fired cases have to pried out of the chamber, and there is an ugly ring about 1/8" back from the case mouth. A bore scope reveals one small and one wide rough ring in the chamber. I am thinking that the barrel will have to be set back and rechambered. Will this cause a problem when it comes to the sight rib? I have the rifle scoped and I don't want to end up with a scope that is inclined relative to the bore. Anyone with experience setting back a barrel on a Ruger #1?

Many thanks,
Frosty

Attached Images
ruger_1.jpg (33.77 KB, 170 downloads)
ruger_2.jpg (34.65 KB, 169 downloads)
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would put my money in a brand new barrel and be much happier with the results.I had a used barrel that someone had long throated.I had it set back and rechambered.After what I paid for the used barrel and had it set back,as well as the ammo I burned up in it before and after,I would have been better off with a new one to start with.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Setting a barrel back and recutting the chamber is a bit more involved than just setting the barrel back. With a 1-16 thread, a full turn is .0625. The pictures look like you would need at leas two turns or .125 to clean that double gouge up. However the setback could well be more. The rib would need to be cut off to match or the rib mounts holes re-drilled and tapped with rib moved forward to clear the reciever. Chamber recut and the end of the barrel recut for the extractor.

So were I you, I might be looking for a replacement barrel. If you can find an as new, shop pull off barrel, it might work out for you. Do not forget the extractor.
I bought two 7mm RM new barrels that folks wanted to change out to 300 WM barrels, so you can find them.

If you are in Canada, check on a rebarrel locally, no telling how the border deal will be tomorrow.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
How about going to a 9.3x72R that would clean up the chamber I think, no setting barrel back.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
OP Offline
Well, this doesn't sound too promising, but thanks for the replies. I am a little limited being in Canada. I will keep an eye on the online auctions, but I don't know how frequently Ruger#1 take off barrels come up. That and it was really the allure of the cartridge that was calling me with this rifle.

Not sure about going to 9.3x72R. The case is shorter (72mm vs 74mm) and I believe it is narrower in almost all dimensions (other than bullet diameter).

Frosty

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This one was setback by KS Arms in Edmonton.

Last edited by bigJ; 10/27/23.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Nice job! I like the quarter rib mod.

OP Offline
I agree! I was wondering if it would still be possible to use the rear scope mount after removing 1/8" off of the quarter rib. I guess that is the solution. I will take a look at KS Arms. I assume you are happy with the work they did?

Frosty

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The #1 belonged to a friend of my father, but I believe he was happy with everything. (This was only one part of the job they did.) This was like 25-30 years ago, since then Karl’s kids have joined him and they have introduced their own line of actions and barrels made in house. If they agree to do the work, I think it would be done well.

Last edited by bigJ; 10/29/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sent it to Ruger and let them rebarrel it.....

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
IC B3

OP Offline
I had always heard rumors that Ruger would only rebarrel to the original chambering. I think the serial number on the frame traced back to the late seventies/early eighties, but I can't remember if my search revealed the original chambering.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you send a firearm to Ruger, they will return it to its factory specs condition and charge you for the parts that they replace. I know of several people with tang safety 77s who had their Timney triggers replaced with factory units when they sent their rifles to Ruger.

You might try contacting Rody's Gun Shop in Newport, NH, to see if they have any #1 barrels on hand. Rody's does all of the employee transfers for Ruger's Pine Tree Castings plant, so they have good sources.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
just put a new barrel on this Ruger #1 that barrel sounds like a bad deal to spend any money on.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (achlupsa, 35, alwaysoutdoors, 41rem, 007FJ, 6mmCreedmoor, 6 invisible), 1,542 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,314
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.