Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by anothergun
Originally Posted by mathman
and a harder core base AND … INTERLOCK BAND has nothing to do with it. So how did does thier line WITHOUT a cannelure LOCK ? but Good to know you’re convinced it helps.

What precisely do you mean by harder core base?
Email Sierra and ask them

First of all, I was referring to your comment in a post about the Interlock, a Hornady product.

Second, I don't believe Sierra has ever used differential hardness in their cores. Speer used to in the Grand Slam.
and a harder core base AND … INTERLOCK BAND has nothing to do with it. So how did does thier line WITHOUT a cannelure LOCK ? but Good to know you’re convinced it helps.

First of all, I was referring to your comment in a post about the Interlock, a Hornady product.

Second, I don't believe Sierra has ever used differential hardness in their cores. Speer used to in the Grand Slam.

We make the core of the bullet from four lead alloys: 6% antimony-4% tin, 6% antimony, 3% antimony, 1 1/2% antimony, and pure lead. For each bullet, we select the proper lead alloy for the best combination of accuracy and expansion in the finished projectile

See, the written word confuses you greatly. You really are showing the internet what an idiot you are, over and over again.

HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

There's a bit of the same smell to them. Zerk was obtuse when he showed up here a couple of years ago.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by JakeM78

We make the core of the bullet from four lead alloys: 6% antimony-4% tin, 6% antimony, 3% antimony, 1 1/2% antimony, and pure lead. For each bullet, we select the proper lead alloy for the best combination of accuracy and expansion in the finished projectile

See, the written word confuses you greatly. You really are showing the internet what an idiot you are, over and over again.
Your mother never raised you to get along with others other than ones that agree with you

Last edited by anothergun; 10/30/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JakeM78

He has NO idea WTF he is talking about, just spewing crap, like the private message he sent me

LOL

I also got one from AnotherGomer. He's just an ignorant troll.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
A
To all who are on a high horse of knowledge will someday get knocked off.. so in the mean time y’all can stick it , your lofty knowledge that is. To all who gave positive and success on the bullet much appreciated.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by old70
I used four different Silvertips on game. The first was a 1960s vintage .308/180 gr. It expanded readily and penetrated through the several smallish white tails I shot with them, broadside heart/lung shots. The second was an 80s vintage .270/140 gr. Fragmented in the heart lung region in a broadside shot on a midsize whitetail. Didn’t hit the far shoulder. Further testing it failed to fully penetrate an 8” pine. Third was a 60s vintage .270/130. I found no evidence of expansion on a neck shot 110 pound doe. She dropped. Third was a 60s vintage .250 savage/100 gr. Good expansion full penetration of the neck of a whitetail. So, they have been inconsistent in my use. I currently only have one box left, .30-06/150 loaded with my standard Garand load, in case I hunt with it.

Old70

my dad (RIP) did not like the Silvertips (30'06, 180gr) in the late 1970s. he told me that it fragmented on the deer's lungs and there was no exit wound. i have a box or two of the loads he left me. the Silvertip bullets did the same thing in early Nosler BT and early Hornady SST's. i found out, from dead deer, that 2800fps (from different calibers) is about as fast as you can go if you want the bullet to mushroom. if you go 2900fps or more, the bullet will fragment. 2800fps is an IMPACT speed. my shots are usually around 30 - 40 yards. i use SST's and BT's in 6.5x55, 270, 30'06, 7-08 and the like.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

A
Campfire Regular
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
A
so the saying speed kills, isn't always the answer. And considering that's what people crave to day naturally that's what they expect a bullet to perform at and that's what bullet companies improve thier bullet so be, catering to speed freaks at longer ranges.

Appreciate the input bro.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
so the saying speed kills, isn't always the answer. And considering that's what people crave to day naturally that's what they expect a bullet to perform at and that's what bullet companies improve thier bullet so be, catering to speed freaks at longer ranges.

Appreciate the input bro.

Get on back to the fourth grade and learn spelling, grammar, and syntax you stupid fool.

Come back when you and Jethro graduate the fourth go on to get your advanced degree; you know, the fifth grade.

I was warned, but I am here anyway.
A
Campfire Regular
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
A
For all you know it alls,

Here’s a Sierra tech named Philip Mahin and l hope you don’t think he’s a liar like me….

we use a lead alloy for the most part. Pure lead goes into pistol bullets because of the low impact velocity necessity, then we work up in hardness. A 1.5%, then a 3%, then a 6%, and the last is a 6% plus a 4% special in the blend. For the most part, our Pro-Hunters and GameKings use the 3% with a specific jacket to give an ideal expansion quality at a specific impact velocity.

Satisfying? I doubt ladies. Email was read from him this morning.

Last edited by anothergun; 10/31/23.
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You learn something new everyday.

Semper Fi
A
Campfire Regular
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by beretzs
You learn something new everyday.

GASP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My we have a live one here !!

So l guess up until this point most of yyyyyy’alllllll thought it was pure lead. Jackets aren’t everything or velocity! Is it ?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Here’s a Sierra tech named Philip Mahin and l hope you don’t think he’s a liar like me….

we use a lead alloy for the most part. Pure lead goes into pistol bullets because of the low impact velocity necessity, then we work up in hardness. A 1.5%, then a 3%, then a 6%, and the last is a 6% plus a 4% special in the blend. For the most part, our Pro-Hunters and GameKings use the 3% with a specific jacket to give an ideal expansion quality at a specific impact velocity.

Still nothing said about varying hardness in 1 core from front to rear.

3% for the most part in GK and PH. Not varying hardness.

Simply says they use different blends in their cores depending on what bullet within their product line.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 10/31/23.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Ju

Still nothing said about varying hardness in 1 core from front to rear.

3% for the most part in GK and PH. Not varying hardness.

Simply says they use different blends in their cores depending on what bullet within their product line.

Exactly, but he's a frigging idiot. I tried to explain it to him last night, but he has zero desire for actually information, just a lonely old troll.

The only thing you can do is thank God you are not him, laugh, and leave the idiot alone.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
A
since you don't know how to let people down easy, I can do it for you. They're not pure lead, they're about 6-8 BHN which isn't pure lead, there is some alloy in the core. Loading below 2800 fps will do just fine. Which even at extended ranges like 300 to 400 yds will be fine.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pure lead isn't zero BHN if that's what you're assuming.

Pure lead is 5 BHN.

"40:1" is the first "alloy" above pure Pb which is pure lead plus 2.5% tin, and 8.5 BHN.

Wheelweights are the next alloy up the scale at .5% tin and 4% antimony, for a BHN of 9.

Basic soft hardware store 60/40 plumbing solder is BHN 16.

Whatever you got there Mr. "I Don't Shoot Much" isn't significantly harder than pure lead.

Just laying out persective.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
A
Campfire Regular
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
A
Wheel weight are ~12 but what have are 15 so whoever or where ever you got that information “Mr l shoot a lot” go back and research it again. But on with the silver tips

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wheel weight are ~12 but what have are 15 so whoever or where ever you got that information “Mr l shoot a lot” go back and research it again. But on with the silver tips

Your googlefu, sucks.

Wheel weights will vary from 9 to 12 depending on what company made them, how fast a casting is cooled and with what, if they are heat treated, and if Sn is added for better flow. For all intents and purposes you should defer to assuming the lowest hardness and work from there.

A BHN of 12 is 94.5 % Pb, 3% Sn, and 2.5% Sb.....and is known as "Electrotype". As you would say, "Google it".

Again, since you didn't hear it the first time, whatever you have there is not significantly harder than pure lead.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Anybody know what the core on a Hornady ELD M or X runs for hardness?

Semper Fi
A
Campfire Regular
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
A
Email hornady

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 2500HD, 160user, 222ND, 57 invisible), 2,377 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,610
Posts18,511,706
Members74,008
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.