Print Thread
Hop To
T
TooTech Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I've got a beautiful Winston rod, but there are spots on the rod where the finish has been striped away by bug spray and/or abrasion.

Is there some way to repair the finish damage?

And if there is a specific product you would recommend using please let me know.

Thanks!

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I'd send it back to Winston. They may or may not charge you to fix it but even if they do it won't be too much and it'll be done right.

The unarmed man is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli
T
TooTech Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I'd like to hold off returning it to Winston for the time being. Maybe after a few more years of use. Just want to know if it's possible to touch it up myself.

As for not charging "too much" to refinish the rod, I'd be surprised if that wouldn't be a $200+ proposition! Do you have experience to the contrary?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have experience with Orvis and Sage, and both were nice and neither charged me a dime. If you're going to charge someone five bills for a rod, expect to provide a bit of customer service. If you want to touch it up yourself, here's the stuff. Foil packets are nice, because you can open and mix and toss and not worry about contaminating the rest.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...ndex&indexId=cat20368&hasJS=true

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Not with a fly rod but a friend of mine had a Winchester Model 70 Super Grade that got something spilled on the stock and bubbled the finish. He sent it back to Winchester and they said that they chould not prove that it was not a factory problem so they stripped and refinished it for him for free. I did break my Sage once and they replaced the broken section for free. I'd give Winston a call and see what they say.

The unarmed man is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Back ...away ...from...the...rod...and send it to Winston.

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Is the color coat completely worn away or just dulled? If the latter you could try toothpaste on a felt pad and polish it again. Rottenstone will also do the same on well oiled felt pad. Wet enough with light oil to make a slurry of the oil/rottenstone. Rub a bit and examine the result by wiping it clean frequently.

T
TooTech Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
The damage is mostly in the form of tiny nicks except for one half-inch long spot back near the grip. There is where it looks like it came into contact with bug dope. The finish in that spot is stipped almost to the graphite. Minnesota mosquitos require the use of 100% DEET to even get their attention.

The nicks may very well polish out, I'll have to give that a try.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
The exposed graphite may start to fuzz a bit...not at all good. The clear coating is to keep UV light from harming the poly used to fuse the carbon layers together, so at the very least, carefully apply just a scim coat of two part rod finish, (turned to keep from saging), IF Winston tells you the cost of a refinish is too unreasonable...Bill

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I doubt Winston will charge much, if anything. In the past they repaired (for free) a few rods of mine that were purchased 20 years ago. Nicks in the finish will only get worse and, as Uncas advised, can cause some serious problems.

IC B3

T
TooTech Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I'm not the original purchaser of the rod. Has anyone here ever returned a previously-owned rod to Winston for repair?

If so, what was your experience?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have Winston Rods, they are of the best made, period. Don't mess around with it, send it back. There may be a slight charge, but it is worth it. If you don't want to send it back, let me know, I would be interested in it myself.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
T
TooTech Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
This just in from Winston:

"As far as repairing the finish on your rod we cannot do that. All we can offer you is to cover up the blemishes with a layer of coating material. That will seal the nicks however you will still see them."

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
TooTech:
The one near the grip may be resolved simply by wrapping the area with thread that matches the thread used on the rest of the rod and coating it with polymer rod finish.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

162 members (338rcm, 160user, 300_savage, 44mc, 470Evans, 35, 13 invisible), 1,935 guests, and 1,085 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,494
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.