Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
SupFoo Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
After investing billions to adhere to President Joe Biden’s green energy agenda, General Motors (GM) is backtracking on all fronts when it comes to Electric Vehicles (EVs).

GM CEO Mary Barra, a close ally of Biden’s, has said the automaker will not begin to attempt to produce 400,000 EVs from 2022 through mid-2024 as initially planned. GM is also delaying retooling its plant in Orion Township, Michigan, to build EV pickup trucks.

Days ago, GM had to begin offering owners of its Chevy Bolt about $1,400 to install a diagnostic program to determine if the vehicle’s EV battery is defective. The move came after GM had to recall all of its Chevy Bolts due to the EV battery issues and a class action settlement over the battery problems is anticipated in the near future.

In addition, GM executives are having to delay launching a number of their EV models such as the Chevrolet Equinox EV, the Chevrolet Silverado EV RST, and the GMC Sierra EV Denali.

Those launch delays have coincided with GM and Honda ending their billion-dollar joint venture to produce affordable EVs for Americans as well as markets in South America and China.

The end of that joint venture comes as demand for EVs among Americans has plummeted with the all-electric cars staying on dealership lots for an average of 65 days — way up from last year’s average of about 21 days.

“The American public is not ready for the broad adoption of electric vehicles. There are maybe 10 percent to 12 percent of people who really want an electric vehicle … the remainder still want internal combustion,” former GM executive Bob Lutz said this week.

While GM stumbles, China is ready to flood the U.S. market with cheap EVs.

Breitbart News Senior Editor-at-Large Rebecca Mansour has long warned that without major investment in domestic manufacturing and auto workers, steep tariffs, and time for American automakers to adjust, China will dominate the EV industry.

“A Biden-led administration’s rapid push towards an all-electric future ..... rushed and without tariffs, most of this will likely end up in China — just like all the rest of American manufacturing thanks to decades of failed trade policies like Joe Biden’s.”

Breitbart

Tariffs? I'm sure Elon would be thrilled.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by SupFoo; 10/31/23.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
not sure the value of flooding the market with cheap EVs - I guess demand will eventually get charging stations numerous but until they figure out how to make it more convenient to get from a long point A to B, the marketplace will not want one.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It’s a fools errand with current battery technology. And without government handouts no one is going to buy unless forced.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just talk with anyone that works for a power company, they will tell you the grid cannot handle everyone driving an EV. The US is 20-30 years out before that can even happen.

Campfire Regular
Online Sleepy
Campfire Regular
And we have an abundance of electrical generating capacity.

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by BOBBALEE
And we have an abundance of electrical generating capacity.
Yes Texas proves it whenever it gets hot or cold. Im sure you are bing sarcastic.
It’s no better up here. We were lucky last winter.

Last edited by Mike_S; 10/31/23.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Norway leads the way in EV sales percentage wise with 87% of new sales being EVs.

The EU follows with 13% of new sales and the USA at 7% of new sales.

No mention was made of the actual numbers of vehicles per country.

WSJ, Vox

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Solar powered roadways are the only way EVs really work. The roadways themselves are the bulk of the power for every compatible vehicle. Signage is on the roadway itself and the road communicates with each vehicle updating the conditions ahead allowing the drivers to continue to sleep while the vehicle and the road takes him to work. No snow removal or icing will be needed again since the road is heated….

…otherwise the technology for green vehicles will be something that’s actually “green” like hydrogen and something that actually works (like hydrogen) and makes sense unlike EVs attached to a grid too weak to support the current demands with less than 5% EV ownership…100% EVs? Lol…30%? 20%? GMAFB

They won’t be satisfied until we are dead or enslaved, submitting to their total control over our lives and our movements so EVs and electric roads with self driving technology along with AI and we are good and well fuc.ked!

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The quickest path to bankruptcy - build something that no one wants.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hudge
Just talk with anyone that works for a power company, they will tell you the grid cannot handle everyone driving an EV. The US is 20-30 years out before that can even happen.

I cannot understand why this is not a part of the discussion. You're going to have to generate the power to charge all these electric cars somehow, and it seems everyone is putting the cart before the horse---literally.

The whole concept at this point amounts to nothing but arbitrary change for the sake of change, and therefore completely stupid.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B3

SupFoo Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
They won’t be satisfied until we are dead or enslaved, submitting to their total control over our lives and our movements so EVs and electric roads with self driving technology along with AI and we are good and well fuc.ked!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SupFoo
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

For that to happen one must comply. That ain't happening for 50% of the Republic.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Houston_2
Norway leads the way in EV sales percentage wise with 87% of new sales being EVs.

WSJ, Vox

Norwegians prefer an enclosed car rather then a bike in extremely cold weather. grin We probably have more roads in a small state then they have in their entire country. Just a Guess

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by KFWA
not sure the value of flooding the market with cheap EVs - I guess demand will eventually get charging stations numerous but until they figure out how to make it more convenient to get from a long point A to B, the marketplace will not want one.

Charging stations aren't needed for around town use where most do 90% of their driving. All it takes is a 220 outlet in your garage.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The ENTIRE auto industry is facing collapse. Not just EVs. Nobody is buying $100,000 pickups or $85,000 cars. The recent strike settlement is going to make that even worse! New cars are already sitting unsold on dealer lots for upwards of 200 days. That's unsustainable. Just the interest the dealers pay to have them sitting there will bankrupt many dealerships. It's already happening.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
There are 260-265 million cars in the US, how do they all charge daily? How will they charge in urban areas like NYC? Run charging cords out to the street? Can we pump enough oil to charge our “green energy” cars?

Hint, I worked for EPA in the NYC office for 27 years and the New Jersey office for my last 10 years and we got rid of our electric cars because there wasn’t anywhere to charge them other than the home office in New Jersey. In the NYC office the mailroom guys had to take them over to Brooklyn Union Gas in Brooklyn to charge them, sometimes they waited, sometimes they took the subway back to the office and then had to go back to Brooklyn and get them to bring them to the office in Manhattan.

Maybe someone should ask Numnuts Joe Biden about this!

SupFoo Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sako76
Hint, I worked for EPA in the NYC office for 27 years and the New Jersey office for my last 10 years and we got rid of our electric cars because there wasn’t anywhere to charge them other than the home office in New Jersey. In the NYC office the mailroom guys had to take them over to Brooklyn Union Gas in Brooklyn to charge them, sometimes they waited, sometimes they took the subway back to the office and then had to go back to Brooklyn and get them to bring them to the office in Manhattan.

Maybe someone should ask Numnuts Joe Biden about this!

LoL. Great story Sako76. Wonder how many more stories are out there like that?

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have a Jeep Rubicon plug in hybrid. I'm retired, and drive less than 6000 miles a year. I've had my Jeep for two years and just turned 8400 on it. Most times it runs off battery, and the range is 25 miles. This works for me. Recharging is about 5 bucks a month. Temps below 20 degrees and the battery is a sad joke, and I'm lucky to get a third of the rated 25 miles. But, most of the time it isn't that cold and I average about 40 mpg with 33 inch tires and two lockers. The engine's computer makes the engine run every 90 days if the tank hasn't emptied. I get about 800 miles out of a 18-gallon tank. I am not sold on EVs, but I fill my Jeep without fail once a quarter for less than 50 bucks. My last vehicle was the F350 with the mighty 7.3 diesel. Here in Colorado, even with the small tank, it was eye-watering to fill.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by Houston_2

WSJ, Vox

Norwegians prefer an enclosed car rather then a bike in extremely cold weather. grin We probably have more roads in a small state then they have in their entire country. Just a Guess

True.

The Greenies like touting that Norway 87% number.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Lee_Woiteshek
I have a Jeep Rubicon plug in hybrid. I'm retired, and drive less than 6000 miles a year. I've had my Jeep for two years and just turned 8400 on it. Most times it runs off battery, and the range is 25 miles. This works for me. Recharging is about 5 bucks a month. Temps below 20 degrees and the battery is a sad joke, and I'm lucky to get a third of the rated 25 miles. But, most of the time it isn't that cold and I average about 40 mpg with 33 inch tires and two lockers. The engine's computer makes the engine run every 90 days if the tank hasn't emptied. I get about 800 miles out of a 18-gallon tank. I am not sold on EVs, but I fill my Jeep without fail once a quarter for less than 50 bucks. My last vehicle was the F350 with the mighty 7.3 diesel. Here in Colorado, even with the small tank, it was eye-watering to fill.

Hybrids have their place in the future.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

246 members (1OntarioJim, 1badf350, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 27 invisible), 2,141 guests, and 913 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,515,003
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.