Campfire Member
T
Nothing like screwing up a good thing again

Last edited by tomme boy; 10/30/23.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Making a case 1.65" was their first mistake....should have been 1.8".....hope the cartridge never makes it.....looks like they have done it to there self....

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Can’t watch

His eyebrows are ginormously too distracting. JFC, get an Epilady on those things.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by slumlord
Can’t watch

His eyebrows are ginormously too distracting. JFC, get an Epilady on those things.
Those are some R Lee Ermey level eye caterpillars.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
@ ~6:00 - looks like the powder didn't get the acid washed out of it thoroughly and it quickly degraded. Vihtavouri had problems like that several years ago.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Add this to the other reasons I don’t buy their stuff anymore; bad primers, and rimfire duds. A couple of their shotshells have been duds for others I shoot clays with. More than one YouTuber has complained that their ammo is underloaded as well.

I don’t want them, or any other makers to fail, I want them to do their jobs.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just a FYI - use a wooden dowel vs metal cleaning rod when beating a stuck bullet. Your barrel will thank you.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
Just a FYI - use a wooden dowel vs metal cleaning rod when beating a stuck bullet. Your barrel will thank you.

Until the wooden dowel splits lengthwise and wedges in your barrel. Then you are well and truly screwed. Brass rod for the win.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I wonder what Winchester had to say?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The same thing happens with the 450 Bushmaster. It’s usually a very quick hang-fire that only the most seasoned shooters would even notice. But if you couple it with a soft lead bullet the issue gets worse. Changing to a Magnum primer doesn’t help. The only solution, for whatever odd reason, is to use Remington 7-1/2 primer.

Google it up. You’ll see the veteran shooters only use the Remington primer in the 450.

Tony

Last edited by TonyRumore; 10/31/23.

Run it up, until you blow it up, then back it down a bit.
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
What it is, is the coating burns off the powder. When it happens the powder clumps up like that. It is usually a yellowish green clumps. Have had it in several cartridges using ball powder. Bad or weak primers are usually the cause. Or a LOT of free bore and the bullet is pushed ut before the powder can start a good burn.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TonyRumore
The same thing happens with the 450 Bushmaster. It’s usually a very quick hang-fire that only the most seasoned shooters would even notice. But if you couple it with a soft lead bullet the issue gets worse. Changing to a Magnum primer doesn’t help. The only solution, for whatever odd reason, is to use Remington 7-1/2 primer.

Google it up. You’ll see the veteran shooters only use the Remington primer in the 450.

Tony

That makes it sound like (to me, anyway) it's really a problem of establishing positive headspace where a hard bullet engaging the lands would lend a hand. That further suggests that the Remington primer has a soft enough cup to mitigate a bit of the headspace & ignition problems being aggravated by a soft bullet creating "mushy" headspace.

Just guessing here...am I close?

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Its not head space. It is a load density issue if the primer can't ignite it or the free bore is so long the bullet is out of the case before it touches any of the rifling and the powder flashes over. It then burns off the coating of the powder. The hard clump of yellowish green powder shows that. It is usually ALWAYS a ball powder when this happens

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hhmmm. I can imagine how a soft bullet could aggravate a low start pressure condition like that as well. It kinda makes sense when you consider the rapid chamber volume increase with just a little bullet movement in a bore that large and couple that with a soft bullet engaging the rifling.

Maybe a milder primer can't get the bullet to begin moving all by itself, allowing the powder burn to get going and develop enough pressure to sustain the burn. I don't remember which primers are hot and which are mild...but maybe a Magnum primer is exactly the wrong option because it initiates bullet movement before sufficient pressure can develop for sustaining the burn.

I've never used cartridges like the Legend series or the Bushmaster and never experienced ignition failures like this. It's interesting to contemplate.

If I'm grasping this, it seems like using a heavy charge of ball powder in large straightwall cases like the Legends and the Bushmaster is just a tricky proposition.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Winchester ammo is garbage. I bought a couple bulk packs of their rimfire junk just to break in a new .22 pistol. I was getting 30% duds out of it. It won't be used for anything else.

Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
Originally Posted by STRSWilson

Until the wooden dowel splits lengthwise and wedges in your barrel. Then you are well and truly screwed. Brass rod for the win.

I have a solid brass rod for dislodging barrel obstructions.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've regarded Remington rimfire to be the worst ever made for so long I find it hard to imagine anything being even worse. But, since I don't fire any factory ammo at all other than rimfire [not Remington] and some 9mm, I am out of the loop factory stuff for the most part

Don't be the darkness.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 160user, 222Sako, 63 invisible), 2,303 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,136
Posts18,483,995
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.