Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
NMiller Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anyone have a report on the Wrangler 22/22 mag? I've heard mixed reviews on the Wrangler 22. One of my buddies got one, he seems to like it for a knock around trail gun. Seems like a cheap way to have a 22 mag with you out in the woods, but not sure how the accuracy is out of this low cost offering. Probably not much better than you would think, but the Ruger American started out as a cheap gun, then got a reputation for accuracy. Who knows.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had one. Shot well enough with both cylinders but I already had a couple single 6s so it went down the road . Great knock around or truck gun

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Given the price point, I’d want to handle the very one I was gonna buy so I could check the timing etc.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
T
Mine is perfect. Here is my Wrangler and the Super Wrangler.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/XDqMlD3.png?2[/img]

Last edited by tomme boy; 10/31/23.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Got the LR version. Really like mine for what it is.

The Rifle is the Weapon of Democracy
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tomme boy
Mine is perfect. Here is my Wrangler and the Super Wrangler.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/XDqMlD3.png?2[/img]

There might be something wrong with me, but I kinda like the looks of that. With adjustable sights, why in hell not have one??

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

NMiller Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I think the Super Wrangler has enough improvements that I might get one. Pretty inexpensive way to get into a 22 mag revolver. I don't currently own a SA, I'll have to get used to checking all the holes when I take it out.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have an excellent Single Six, and a broken Wrangler (something gave way inside, and I'm too lazy to get in there to find out what it was). Based on that experience, I don't want another Wrangler, Super or not.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I have an excellent Single Six, and a broken Wrangler (something gave way inside, and I'm too lazy to get in there to find out what it was). Based on that experience, I don't want another Wrangler, Super or not.
You might need to send your broken Wrangler back to Ruger unless you know somewhere parts can be bought.
I could not find a transfer bar online and Ruger wouldn't sell me New Bearcat parts.
The repair and return was free but I had to pay shipping to Ruger

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Even if they fix it, it shot like crap. Nowhere near the sights, and just poorly, overall. I'm gonna keep it, as-is, as a reminder not to buy cheap crap. I've been burned a bunch by Ruger of late, and I'm not buying any more of their products.

I have noticed a distinct drop in quality at Ruger, and I'm tired of being their QC person. No more.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Even if they fix it, it shot like crap. Nowhere near the sights, and just poorly, overall. I'm gonna keep it, as-is, as a reminder not to buy cheap crap. I've been burned a bunch by Ruger of late, and I'm not buying any more of their products.

I have noticed a distinct drop in quality at Ruger, and I'm tired of being their QC person. No more.

I had a problem with my Wrangler, I called Ruger, got a prepaid FedEx label, dropped it off at FedEx, got it back in 10 days fixed.

The Super Wrangler is a much better single action, better fit and finish, I didn’t have to touch the adjustable sights.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by NMiller
Anyone have a report on the Wrangler 22/22 mag? I've heard mixed reviews on the Wrangler 22. One of my buddies got one, he seems to like it for a knock around trail gun. Seems like a cheap way to have a 22 mag with you out in the woods, but not sure how the accuracy is out of this low cost offering. Probably not much better than you would think, but the Ruger American started out as a cheap gun, then got a reputation for accuracy. Who knows.

The Super Wrangler is well worth the price, fit and finish is great, as accurate as any SS I’ve owned. I have a Wrangler, there is no comparison between the two, IMO.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
It took 3 rounds with Ruger to get them to send me a functional wrangler. Based on the garbage they sent, I would be leery of the super Wranglers.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I wouldn't question your experience with the gun's accuracy, but by chance did you try out multiple types of ammo?

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Of course I did, I used to keep a wide variety of stuff on hand, but the ONLY load it shot close to the sights were CCI CB Shorts. Even then, they weren't especially close to the sights, just "closer" than HV LRs. SV LRs were better than HV, but again, only a little better.

My Single Six, and my 617 will do, for my needs. I've learned my lesson with the Wranglers, though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like you got a lemon.

If you send it in to be fixed, complain about te accuracy as well. Ya never know...they may send something useful back to you. I've heard of both very good and piss poor service at Ruger.

Don't be the darkness.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Hi folks, a little late to the party here, but I just wanted to say these little revolvers should get the handgun of the year award. They’re essentially just an economically finished Super Single Six. They are well built and just as rugged with their steel frames. They’re excellent little working guns for the trail or trapline and are quite useful in having both cylinders. I bought one and liked it so much I grabbed another because I don’t see how they can offer these for so much less than the Single Sixes. I’d imagine the price will only go up with time.

Oh and as far as accuracy goes, mine both shoot just as well as any of the Single Sixes I’ve owned.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Last edited by andyrping; 11/15/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I looked at one the other day, first time I'd handled one. It seemed solid enough, but I sensed that the dealer didn't want the action worked so I got no sense of its roughness or smoothness---whatever the case may be.

Anyone know about the internals? Same as Single-Six? Rougher, smoother? MIM? Etc., etc.?

Don't be the darkness.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Mine cycle about as smooth as any New Model Single Six. They were a little sticky at first, which I think was due to the Cerakote, but have smoothed up nicely after a couple hundred rounds. I haven’t taken them apart yet, but the hammer and trigger look to be MIM. With that said though, they’re finished nicely for what they are.

Last edited by andyrping; 11/15/23.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
The Super Wrangler 22mag is a good cheap single action revolver. I like mine, it's a lot of fun to shoot.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

100 members (358wsm, 338Rules, 10gaugemag, 257wthbylover, 907brass, 19 invisible), 2,246 guests, and 924 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,643
Posts18,533,676
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.