Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by barm
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Eh. The last thing I wanna do is listen to an engineer drone on for 45 minutes. Podcasts are primarily populated by self-centered wind bags turning oxygen into noise.
When you say this, I hear, "I don't like engineers. They think they know everything." That is your bias leaking into the conversation.

I also agree not all podcasts are good ones.
Engineers have a reputation for being linear thinking bores with poor communication skills. That's why I don't want to listen to them (or anyone, for that matter) talk for 45 minutes.
I hear you. I think many engineers and physicians are borderline autistic. Brilliant minds with poor communication skills. You can still learn a great deal from them if you give them a chance.
I just don't want to listen to people talk or watch a video. I learn better and find more interest in reading.

GB1

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rainshot
Yeah Hornady had to change the 6 ARC because it was too close to the Grendel. You can make a Grendel out of a 7.62x39 brass case. It spawned the PPC and Beggs 220 R. All that family are decent cartridges.

Mule Deer could give a good account of the different variations and the history of the various cartridges spawned by the parent case. It's a longish list and they're all pretty good. My mention of the Beggs Russian was because the 22ARC isn't exactly new.

Lots of wildcats out there. Until someone standardizes them and pays the way to get it through SAAMI we have a lot of misinformation (velocities and performance) we can't rely on. I remember when I got my 20 Vartarg and eagerly read online what it could do. It's a great cartridge, but people shoot it way over pressure. It was nice to see Accurate/Hodgdon develop some pressure tested loads for it.

Good for Hornady to put their money where their mouth is on this one. I hope it is a success for them.

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Eh. The last thing I wanna do is listen to an engineer drone on for 45 minutes. Podcasts are primarily populated by self-centered wind bags turning oxygen into noise.
When you say this, I hear, "I don't like engineers. They think they know everything." That is your bias leaking into the conversation.

I also agree not all podcasts are good ones.
Engineers have a reputation for being linear thinking bores with poor communication skills. That's why I don't want to listen to them (or anyone, for that matter) talk for 45 minutes.
I hear you. I think many engineers and physicians are borderline autistic. Brilliant minds with poor communication skills. You can still learn a great deal from them if you give them a chance.
I just don't want to listen to people talk or watch a video. I learn better and find more interest in reading.
I more of a visual learner as well. I find it difficult to gain as much information listening to people talk too.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

Or salesmen trying to convince one to burn good money on the latest fad.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If I shoot two groundhogs, one with an ARC and another with a .223, which one is more dead?

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I'm just grateful that the industry is active and continues to introduce new ideals on a consistent basis. It does not matter that A is just B, etc. If you are satisfied with A, great! If you like to try new things like B, it's your choice. Both are what makes this whole sharade meaningful...stick with what you know and like or try something different because you like change. Both fill the "need" or "void" .

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Bugs4
The one shot with the ARC is deader....yes, deader. More dead. The one shot with the 223 is less dead. Why ? because the folks selling these things said so. And you should not be asking these kind of questions. Other folks will do your thinking for you.
Charlie

P.S.....how do you make a Bu$$[bleep] font ? Or is that an emoji?

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I think this forum should be renamed “Curmudgeons Corner” laugh

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Just before this thread I ordered a Tikka Lite T3x SS 22-250 in 1-8 twist.

In my AR's I'm going to stick with the .223 because they shoot great.

I may resemble a curmudgeon.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by brydan

Maybe!

Might mention that prairie_goat has spent plenty of time behind various rifles, partly because he was raised on a ranch in eastern Montana, where shooting coyotes was kinda essential, and also because he's guided big game hunters considerably. But he also spent considerable time in the Middle East as a U.S. Army sniper. Oh, and he's also developed several wildcats.

Met him in 2010 when he was in his mid-20s, so he's not exactly inexperienced--or old enough to be a curmudgeon.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Mule Deer;
Good evening to you John, I hope that you and Eileen are well on this Halloween night.

One of the interesting things for me personally when reading some of the threads here on the 'Fire is that I'm forced to look up some words - in this case "curmudgeon" - since often as not, I'm not entirely sure I've always used it correctly.

There was a line in The Princess Bride where one of the characters says to another, "You keep using that word. I do not think that it means what you think it means". Something like that anyways.

As it was a favorite of both our girls when they were growing up, we watched it many times and although it pains me greatly to admit this, there's been more than once when the girls have used that immortal line on me. blush

It has been an educational discussion for me however and I appreciate the folks who've posted on it. Coyote season will soon be upon us and if the old school .22-250AI barrel ever completely toasts out, it's good to have options.

Anyways I have nothing intelligent to add to the cartridge conversation other than that, but am grateful that I now know the true meaning of a word that I might have been not always using properly.

All the best to you both as we head into some cooler weather.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SKane
If I was in the business of manufacturing and selling factory rifles, I'd be thanking my lucky stars for Hornady.

Amen, they done pretty good.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hi Dwayne,

We are doing well. Hope you are the same!

Yeah, curmudgeon's "official" meaning doesn't mean old, or even "set in their ways." But I suspect that's the direction it's headed--and North American English (whether south of the medicine line or north) is far more flexible and evolving than many other languages.

Have been using the .22-250 for a long time myself, and been pleasantly surprised on how well the faster-twist rifles work--though never had any problem with "traditional" twist rifles either. Have told this story before, but the longest shot I've made (or attempted!) in Africa was right around 500 yards, on a springbok (about like pronghorn) with the Sako .22-250 belonging to my friend Rob Klemp--a part-time PH and full-time owner of a big sporting goods store in Kimberley, South Africa. He invited me and a friend to try it out for a day, since the safari was primarily a cull deal.

At the time Rob's rifle had taken over 12,000 big game animals, mostly springbok but also many others. It was on its 4th barrel, all 1-14" twist, and my hunting partner and I took several springbok with it, no problem, despite the "slow" twist. We used the standard Winchester Pointed Soft-Point 55-grain factory load, which is what Rob preferred for culling--and could get wholesale. (Quite a few cullers in South Africa--and some other countrie--use factory loads, because they don't have time to handload--and are paid by the animal.) It worked just fine.

The deer are just starting to think about rutting here--found a small whitetail scrape while hunting pheasants the other day--so we'll be out and about!

Good hunting,
John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
now if they made it a .204, and Berger made the 55's an off the shelf item again......

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by brydan

Met him in 2010 when he was in his mid-20s, so he's not exactly inexperienced--or old enough to be a curmudgeon.

Thanks John! I think "curmudgeon in training" may be more appropriate. Ha!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
That sounds about right!

But also want to agree with SKane's comment: "If I was in the business of manufacturing and selling factory rifles, I'd be thanking my lucky stars for Hornady." It's been interesting at during this latest "shortage" of handloading components there have been plenty of Hornady bullets available, of all types, and some brass too. And over the last several years I've found Hornady brass to be among the best, very uniform in dimensions and pretty tough.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JPro
I enjoy listening to engineers that are also enthusiasts much more than some promoter/user/Youtuber who simply thinks a new product is "sweet" or "badass"

I am right there with you. I don't need used car grade sales hype or heavy metal music. I prefer just the facts.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
[quote=prairie_goat][quote=barm][quote=prairie_goat]Eh. The last thing I wanna do is listen to an engineer drone on for 45 minutes. Podcasts are primarily populated by self-centered wind bags turning oxygen into noise.

PG no offense intended but how long has it been since you've had your hearing tested by a pro audiologist? I have a major profound high frequency hearing loss. Even with hearing aides, it is a struggle listening to long winded spiels about anything, it makes you struggle and get tired trying to keep up. Oh yeah I'd rather read the same myself. Have absolutely no use of trying to communicate with people who wave their hands around, utilize extreme facial expressions and body language to get their point across. Lotta stupid chit on the fire and wasted print of someone's snarky sarcasm while they use acronyms you've never heard. But I can hear everything that is said. You made a damn good point. But there is a reason you can't stand a long winded explanation that is verbal...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
[quote=prairie_goat][quote=barm][quote=prairie_goat]Eh. The last thing I wanna do is listen to an engineer drone on for 45 minutes. Podcasts are primarily populated by self-centered wind bags turning oxygen into noise.

PG no offense intended but how long has it been since you've had your hearing tested by a pro audiologist? I have a major profound high frequency hearing loss. Even with hearing aides, it is a struggle listening to long winded spiels about anything, it makes you struggle and get tired trying to keep up. Oh yeah I'd rather read the same myself. Have absolutely no use of trying to communicate with people who wave their hands around, utilize extreme facial expressions and body language to get their point across. Lotta stupid chit on the fire and wasted print of someone's snarky sarcasm while they use acronyms you've never heard. But I can hear everything that is said. You made a damn good point. But there is a reason you can't stand a long winded explanation that is verbal...mb
Good point, it's been.....11 years since a hearing test, and there was definitely some hearing loss found at that time!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 62 invisible), 2,292 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,394
Posts18,488,794
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.