Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Don’t know much about Benellis other than I hear they are a great Italian shotgun
I’ve never been a big bird hunter but will be changing that here on. Up to now, I have made do with a Remington 870 Magnum Express and an older Remington 1100 which the latter has been a tad finicky on ammunition.
I would like a good reliable inertia semi-auto so have been considering the Benelli.
I would appreciate some guidance on which model would be good for dove but also the possibility of duck and goose someday, should the opportunity arise.

GB1

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The Benelli Montefeltro is a dandy, and I would get it in 12 gauge, as many years ago I discovered that in 20 gauge it is way too light. While I generally prefer a longer barrel, I found the 26” was about perfect. It weighs a bit under 7#.

I also really like the Benelli Ultra Light, which despite its 6# weight in 12 gauge still handles and shoots well. It is my favorite chukar gun. In this model, I also like the 26” barrel less.

The reason for my preference for 26” barrels on these guns centers around the extra long receiver. The dynamics of the guns feels much better with the 26” as a result. Barrels shorter than this seem a bit whippy to me, although many others like them and hit well with them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm this close to buying an M2 myself. This close |..|. It will apparently handle lighter 2 3/4" loads up to heavy 3" loads reliably. If you want to use it for doves, I'd skip the 3.5" Super Black Eagle. It's not likely going to be 100% reliable with light 2 3/4" loads. The M2 seems to be about as perfect an interia gun as can be had. And if my fondling of them each time I go into my LGS has taught me anything, it's that they are just damned sexy and feel really good.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
M2! for your described use would be my pick. But if you like a lower rib the Montefeltro. For lots of walking Ultralight wins.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
another vote M2

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have a couple of older M-1's that have been as good a shotgun as you could ask for. If I had to replace them, I'd go straight to a new M-2 and not even look at anything else.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Some Benelli shotguns have a rep of patterning excessively high. The issue has been discussed on various forums. High to the point the supplied shims don’t correct the issue. Has to do with the rib design and the Italian preference for higher POI.

https://www.randywakeman.com/TheBenelliDisaster.htm

https://forums.benelliusa.com/topic/24257-m2-shoots-way-too-high/

FWIW…..Beretta

Last edited by battue; 10/31/23.

laissez les bons temps rouler
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Anything but benelli.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Benelli M2. It is a fantastic shotgun. I know you didn't mention it and specifically ask about the inertia Benelli but I wouldn't dismiss a good Beretta gas gun either. For an all-around shotgun, I would go 12 gauge and 26" barrel.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Benelli Super Nova that shoots higher than any other gun I have, and as a result, I don't hunt with it much anymore. But if it was my only gun and I shot it pretty much exclusively, or along with other guns that shot high, I might never notice it and get used to it.

If you want an inertia gun, and want to shoot light loads, too, I'd look hard at Benelli's 3" chambered models, and Browning's A5 with a 3" chamber. The Browning is every bit as good as the Benellis. The M2 is a more affordable option than the A5, though, by several hundred dollars.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The M2 is a great gun but I sent for the Montifeltro just because I like the look and feel of the wood stock over the plastic stock on the M2.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Oh and mine is a 20 ga.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MOGC
Benelli M2. It is a fantastic shotgun. I know you didn't mention it and specifically ask about the inertia Benelli but I wouldn't dismiss a good Beretta gas gun either. For an all-around shotgun, I would go 12 gauge and 26" barrel.
This is where I would be if I wanted a Benelli.

If inertia I would lean Franchi. Pretty sure there are workings in the stock of a Benelli that can and do rust if the gun was dunked. Those workings aren't on a Franchi. They have something up on the Mag tube that is easier accessed for cleaning/drying.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by MOGC
This or an M-1, for me the low flat ribs on the Montefeltro just plain suck. Don't give a fug about anything randy Wakeman says either...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by battue
Some Benelli shotguns have a rep of patterning excessively high. The issue has been discussed on various forums. High to the point the supplied shims don’t correct the issue. Has to do with the rib design and the Italian preference for higher POI.

FWIW…..Beretta

This is interesting, thanks for posting. Ya learn something new everyday.

I shoot sporting clays, skeet, and trap on a regular basis. I shoot a Citori and I love that gun. Usually I'll shoot 35 to 40 out of 50 in sporting clays. Sometimes in the low 40's on a good day. I wanted to get an automatic, so I went to my LGS. They had a Montefeltro with a 30" barrel and I fell in love with it. I bought it on the spot along with a couple more chokes. After I figured out the cast on/cast off thing with the stock shims, I took it to the range. I'm left handed. I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it. I think that I shot about a 18 out of 50. I started playing with the raise and lower shims and matched it up with my Citori. Now I'm lucky if I can hit 35 with it on a good day. I could never figure out why until now. It's probably shooting higher than the Citori. I've never patterned it, so maybe I need to shoot it at some paper. My son used it a couple of weeks ago and shot a 40 with it. I thought it was just me.

Last edited by StoneCutter; 10/31/23.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by battue

FWIW…..Beretta
Second the Beretta option.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I used to shoot a Benelli M1 and liked it a lot. Mostly I shoot doubles now, but I’d probably buy another M1 if I saw a good one. They can be adjusted quite easily for fit. Any serious gunner should test shoot for POI and adjust if needed. I’d also happily shoot a Beretta any day if the week. Hard to go wrong with either.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have owned a 20 ga Monte for just over a decade, a 12 ga A400 Xplor Unico for just under. The 20 for upland, the 12 for WMA pheasants (steel shot) and waterfowl. I hosted a buddy and his nephews for a pheasant hunt on some public wetlands that also have good duck numbers. Loaned them the 12's (still have my nearly 30 year-old 870) and packed the 20. Bought some Hevi-Metal 3" #2's (non-toxic required). Holy moly did that load knock the snot out of pheasants and mallards. If I could only have one (of my inertia bolt shotguns), it would be the Benelli.

Last edited by MonkeyWrench; 11/01/23. Reason: parentheses

The Rifle is the Weapon of Democracy
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thanks for the info guys. I will also look into the Berettas and Brownings.

T
ttu Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I've had and still have various Benelli models. Which one depends on your budget and if you prefer the flat rib or raised rib.

If your budget is $2k, I'd vote for the Ethos B.E.ST. model. $1300, then the new monte or M2. If you only want to spend $500 but want the intertia system in a lightweight package, take a look at the Weatherby Element. I have a couple elements and they have been as reliable as my Benellis through a couple thousand rounds. They are basically a budget montefeltro. For me, the biggest negative of the element is the curved buttstock. It makes LOP adjustments a real pain.

Gas gun, take a look at the Beretta A300s. For a flat rib, you can pick up the older Outlander for $500-$600. The newer A300s are a little heavier but have a raised rib and the kickoff system.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

158 members (1_deuce, 30Gibbs, 300_savage, 444Matt, 204guy, 21 invisible), 1,735 guests, and 1,002 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,206
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.