Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
338Rem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Tried to do a search, no luck. Which is better in a 6.5 Creed, small primer pocket or regular size primer pocket. Thanks

When its time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to get on Noah's Arc... and brother, it is starting to rain!

The chair is against the wall.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I prefer large rifle primers

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I tested both and dint see any difference

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I use large rifle but I need everything to work at -20* occasionally

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by steveredd1
I tested both and dint see any difference

You will when it gets cold. I use large rifle primers and don't have to worry about schidt like that with them. Loads shoot just fine and no hangfires to worry about. To each his own.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve used 6.5x47 down in the sub-zero temps without any issues. They don’t make a large primer version of that case. Try it and see what happens. I bet in all but the most extreme circumstances nobody sees a difference.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
cci 450's

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I use large primers and I have never had a single problem or misfire.

I recommend large primers!

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I also prefer large rifle primers for my 6.5 Creedmoor.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I tried the SRP route in 22-250 AI with H414 and URBR brass years ago. It did not work out well in super cold weather. Not only did it cost me a few coyotes the SRP trial did not reveal any improvement in accuracy in a very accurate rifle.

Your mileage my vary.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
My understanding of using a small primer in a cartridge previously designed for large primer is to withstand more pressure, ie. a little hotter load than normal, to gain velocity. IIRC it started as a fad with the 308win in match ammo.

The theory as as I've heard is the case head web has more meat around the primer with small vs large, less square miles of primer surface for the pressure to push back on, and thus less prone to blow a primer out with a hot load.

Unless that velocity gain is your goal you probably won't see any improvement in anything that large primer cases will give. I've not paid any more attention to it than that, I've never tried it, and I have no idea about load data.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Feral_American
My understanding of using a small primer in a cartridge previously designed for large primer is to withstand more pressure, ie. a little hotter load than normal, to gain velocity. IIRC it started as a fad with the 308win in match ammo.

The theory as as I've heard is the case head web has more meat around the primer with small vs large, less square miles of primer surface for the pressure to push back on, and thus less prone to blow a primer out with a hot load.

Unless that velocity gain is your goal you probably won't see any improvement in anything that large primer cases will give. I've not paid any more attention to it than that, I've never tried it, and I have no idea about load data.

The increased pressure tolerance is a nice side benefit in the .308, but the original intent in that chambering was to provide a more consistent ignition and smaller velocity spreads in the ammunition used by the United States Palma Team in the Long Range World Championships held every 4 years. My understanding is Tom Whitaker lobbied Lapua to produce the first batch for the team and it became widely available thereafter.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks Mike, for the clarification 👍

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No problem, the added strength benefit is very real in my experience as related to case life. I expect at least 15 firings with high pressure loads in my rifles. Large primer brass is done within 10.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I recently started using SRP Peterson brass in my target 308 win. There has not been any degradation in accuracy. Increased case life plus component availablity are the drivers. In case of shortage it's good to have options.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I've tested small and large primers, and they burn alot hotter than some large ones. Regardless of how long it's been since the testing..... Rem 7-1/2 burns hotter than a WLR. CCI 450 is up top for most.

https://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/best-small-rifle-primers-for-hotter-loads.4057519/

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP
I tried the SRP route in 22-250 AI with H414 and URBR brass years ago. It did not work out well in super cold weather. Not only did it cost me a few coyotes the SRP trial did not reveal any improvement in accuracy in a very accurate rifle.

Your mileage my vary.

What primers were you using?

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by drop_point
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP

Your mileage my vary.

Remington 7 1/2's. The only reason I know that is I never used any other SRP's until about 6-8 years ago.

What primers were you using?

Last edited by 6MMWASP; 11/19/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Bought some Small Primer 6.5CM Brass when primers were really hard to find. With CCI400's I would get pierced primers on about every 4th shot. Switched to CCI450's and never had another. Both small and large rifle primed load shot the same for me. I did not test in very cold conditions which may favor the large rifle primers.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (17CalFan, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1936M71, 58 invisible), 2,193 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,056
Posts18,482,343
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.