Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I left my cocking rope in the SUV. But instead of walking back for it, I made a bad choice instead. I injured myself while cocking my Ten Point crossbow using my arm and back muscles. I've been to the ER three times and a Chiropractor twice. But no pain relief and the pain level became much worse. Finally, an MRI was performed, and I was told that I have a badly herniated disc. The pain is awful. I am hoping to see a neurosurgeon soon for shots in my back. Surgery is the last option and certainly not my first choice either.

My hunting for the remainder of the year is over because of a bad choice. - Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good luck with that.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Damn, hate to hear it!
Hope all turns out okay.

3 years ago[@57] I decided to park all of my sticks & strings and non-ladder type stands.

Just decided the risk/reward wasn't worth it as I get older.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It would be just about impossible to cock a Crossbow without the rope or cocking crank handle, most have #200 limbs at a minimum that are reduced to a "1/2 nock point.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry to read that. Herniated disc ain't no joke. Hope you mend well.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stupid is supposed to hurt.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by goalie

That's how I see it lol.

Is this thread intending to seek pity, or inform others not to make blatantly stupid decisions in the woods ?..... play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
When I was test-driving an Excalibur a buddy had, he forgot the cocking rope. Had to cock it by hand. No problem, except you couldn’t cock it without the string being a bit off-kilter and torquing/throwing the arrows wide. Like hay bale wide at 25 yards. He was laughing at my shooting, until I figured it out and showed him the difference.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ouch

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sherwood
I left my cocking rope in the SUV. But instead of walking back for it, I made a bad choice instead. I injured myself while cocking my Ten Point crossbow using my arm and back muscles. I've been to the ER three times and a Chiropractor twice. But no pain relief and the pain level became much worse. Finally, an MRI was performed, and I was told that I have a badly herniated disc. The pain is awful. I am hoping to see a neurosurgeon soon for shots in my back. Surgery is the last option and certainly not my first choice either.

My hunting for the remainder of the year is over because of a bad choice. - Sherwood

Shots are a temporary cure, unless you're 70 surgery is most likely in your future. Do your research and find a competent doctor to talk with.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
When I was test-driving an Excalibur a buddy had, he forgot the cocking rope. Had to cock it by hand. No problem, except you couldn’t cock it without the string being a bit off-kilter and torquing/throwing the arrows wide. Like hay bale wide at 25 yards. He was laughing at my shooting, until I figured it out and showed him the difference.

Yeah ok,
The chances of slipping while hand cocking a bow, thus dry firing it blowing up the limbs, bending the cams, blowing the string or cables, isn't worth the trade off...much less the personal physical damage that could incur, let me see you try to cock the new high speed CB's on the market today.

lol

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bwana_1

That's how I see it lol.

Is this thread intending to seek pity, or inform others not to make blatantly stupid decisions in the woods ?..... play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

It could be that he posted it to bring out the cockhole in people.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by Bwana_1

That's how I see it lol.

It could be that he posted it to bring out the cockhole in people.

I think you're giving him too much credit.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Herniated disk about 20 years ago, no surgery. Hunted that next day because standing was better than sitting.
Give it time, then do your rehab, it will get better.

Did my injury doing deadlifts, still do them today. Just get your back in shape and strengthen the muscles for support.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
I have a hard time cocking mine with the cocking rope

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Forgetting the cocking device is like going out and forgetting your rifle ammo.

You go back and get it.

Pointing out that it was stupid to attempt a manual cock on a modern compound crossbow doesn't make someone mean or a "cockhole"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don’t corn piles usually accompany crossbows?

Just asking

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slumlord
Don’t corn piles usually accompany crossbows?

Just asking

Not here. No fences either. ☹️

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

That depends on how quick you get the surgery…
BTDT twice…
Pain killers didn’t work for me but benzodiazepines helped a lot.
Immediately after surgery, the pain was gone… yes it was horrible…

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Point very well taken brother. Us older guys aren't the best in the world at realizing that we now have limitations.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (12344mag, 02bfishn, 1234, 1lessdog, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 65 invisible), 2,461 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,572
Posts18,491,887
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.