Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
CBB15 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I need some intel from the well water experts.
Our well at deer camp has a strong sulfur odor. What can be done, if anything? What is the culprit?
I do not know the depth of the well or any other details of the well for that matter. So I guess this is a general question.

Thanks.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Is it both the hot and cold water? If only the hot, replacing the water heater anode might help. There are different anodes. One of them (al/zinc?) helps with the sulfur smell.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If u have a storage tank u can rig up a spray nozzle for the inflow to help dissipate the hydrogen sulfide that causes the smell.It helps alot but there is still a faint smell.Good Luck.

Rehab is for quitters!
THEY are all guilty!
Name one honest politician!
DEFINE Treason.
God bless the USA
Democrats ARE the plague!
RINO'S need to be hunted!
Who's a bigger puzzy than Paul Ryan? Mike Pence? John Kerry ?
REELECT NOBODY! Except Trump
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CBB15
Our well at deer camp has a strong sulfur odor. What can be done, if anything? What is the culprit?

The culprit is hydrogen sulfide, in gas form and produced by bacteria.

The solution depends on the concentration. At lower levels you might be able to filter it out with charcoal, higher ones will require an ozone or chlorine system.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If it's both hot and cold water, think about running it through an unpressurized holding tank that's vented outside. In my experience, it just needs to vent a while. You can test this first by letting a pitcher of water sit for an hour or two and then drinking to see if the sulfer is gone.

If it's just the hot, it could also help to not let your hot water tank sit full and unused for extended periods. My camp hot water (new hot water tank) will start to stink if I leave it for a few weeks. I then drain it first thing when I'm back at camp.

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Stickfight

The culprit is hydrogen sulfide, in gas form and produced by bacteria.

The solution depends on the concentration. At lower levels you might be able to filter it out with charcoal, higher ones will require an ozone or chlorine system.
I would add that this happens most in water heaters that don't get used regularly. Electric may be worse than gas perhaps because the elements are in contact with the water. Worst I ever saw was an electric water heater that had become completely blocked with a jelly-like substance; I mean at least half full of the stuff. I used to introduce a little bleach into heaters that had sat awhile and then fill with fresh water.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
We would occasionally get this at home. Adding a cup or two of bleach at the house inlet filter would treat everything downstream! Cleared up the problem for months and helped sanitize all of the house piping as well! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bpas105
If it's both hot and cold water, think about running it through an unpressurized holding tank that's vented outside. In my experience, it just needs to vent a while. You can test this first by letting a pitcher of water sit for an hour or two and then drinking to see if the sulfer is gone.

If it's just the hot, it could also help to not let your hot water tank sit full and unused for extended periods. My camp hot water (new hot water tank) will start to stink if I leave it for a few weeks. I then drain it first thing when I'm back at camp.

We were talking about this a couple days ago. A grazing lease we are looking at has a well with sulphur odor. One idea was to put in an open storage tank to let the sulphur smell dissipate.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
For what it's worth..............I may get flamed for this; but, I pour a common bleach down our well every six months to a year.

One gallon, the I run every faucet in and out the house, until I smell bleach, then I shut it down before we go to bed.

Been on a well my entire life.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I did this for years…..then discovered (in our case) that the sulfurous order was originating in the pressure tank and the water heater! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I need some intel from the well water experts.
I do not know the depth of the well or any other details of the well for that matter. So I guess this is a general question.

Thanks.

When our well starts to smell like that I change the filters. Viola! No smell.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If the smell is only on the hot side, it is likely your water heater anode. Had a plumber out to my house years ago because I had the same problem. He removed the anode, cut it off, and reinstalled the plug. Problem fixed.

C
CBB15 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks all.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
What's the well for? Livestock or domestic?

I am MAGA.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
When I moved in to this place 12 years ago there was a carbon filter system hooked up. When my wife moved in and didn't like how harsh the well water was the girls hair and stuff, we had a whole house water filtration system install. I bitched at the price at the time. However, it's one of the best things we've done to this house.

But I think a carbon filter would take care of your odor.

Camp is where you make it.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Remove the anode from the hot water heater and run some bleach through the system.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Simplepeddler
For what it's worth..............I may get flamed for this; but, I pour a common bleach down our well every six months to a year.

One gallon, the I run every faucet in and out the house, until I smell bleach, then I shut it down before we go to bed.

Pretty much the method to shock chlorinate a well, but one half gallon is more typical.

More bleach is not necessarily better. The biggest factor is contact time rather than concentration.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
From AK DEC:
(This is intended for coliform contamination, but applies in general)

1. During this procedure the water will not be drinkable so plan to do it late at night or at other times when there is little need for water. Obtain one-half gallon of fresh household bleach (unscented) which contains 5-6% sodium hypochlorite. Large diameter or very deep wells may require more chlorine. Dilute the chlorine in a large bucket of water.

2. Remove the sanitary seal and pour the chlorine solution down the well casing. Using a clean hose, run water down the casing until you smell chlorine in the water from the hose. Turn off the hose and replace the sanitary seal.

3. Open each tap in the distribution system until you smell the chlorine, then close the tap. The goal is to get the chlorine solution to all parts of the plumbing. Do the same for hot water taps and flush toilets until chlorinated. If there are any in-line filters, they should be removed, and replaced with new filters after the disinfection is completed. (Carbon filters are notorious for breeding bacteria.)
Hold the chlorine in the pipes a minimum of two (2) hours, preferably overnight.

4. Open all taps and flush out the chlorine solution until you can no longer smell it at any of the taps. Your well and distribution system should now be disinfected.

5 Follow-up sampling should be done after all trace of chlorine is gone to ensure that the disinfection procedure was successful. DEC Drinking Water personnel will advise public water suppliers of their sampling requirements.

NOTE: Large amounts of chlorine can damage the resin in water softeners, so if there is a softener, it should be by-passed before disinfecting the plumbing. Contact the manufacturer or distributor for the correct method for disinfecting the softener.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Simplepeddler

Pretty much the method to shock chlorinate a well, but one half gallon is more typical.

More bleach is not necessarily better. The biggest factor is contact time rather than concentration.

I was going to ask about dumping bleach down the well and if it hurt anything. I've heard of it but have never done it. Once you smell chlorine in the house wouldn't you want to keep running the faucets until you no longer smelled it?

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I'd say , you drilled the well too deep! LOL

U.S. government was established to represent citizens, NOT TO RULE OVER THEM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 160user, 1badf350, 16penny, 1936M71, 56 invisible), 2,116 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,026
Posts18,481,740
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.