-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The players leg didn't get that high accidentally. He put it there and he moved it in the direction of the other player on purpose. Did he intend to kill him? I seriously doubt it. Was he aware that doing that could seriously injure another player? He damn well should have been.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Can those who have played hockey at any level greater than pond please raise their hand?

Hand raised.

The guy was hip checked and his leg went up. Ever been hip checked?

Yes.

I figured you were one of probably about two; maybe three.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by dakota300rum
Originally Posted by smokepole
Ever been hip checked? Hell, most of these guys probably never went to a game.

Exactly.
What does a hip check have to do with this situation.

lol

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Yes I do agree my intention was to explain what I saw. Do I think he meant to kill him? I do not.
Intent to kill isn't the required intent for second degree murder. If I hit you over the head with a baseball bat, but only intended to make an impression on you about what we were arguing about, that's intent enough, since one is held to the reasonable person standard in this regard. A reasonable person knows that a baseball bat to the head is potentially lethal, and a reasonable person knows that a kick to the head/neck area, while wearing skates, is potentially lethal. That's intent enough for second degree murder. The video leaves no room for reasonable doubt as to whether he intended to strike the victim in the head/neck region with his skates. Doesn't matter if he didn't mean to kill him, but only intended to prevent him from accomplishing his objective in the game. He intended to strike him with the skates.

I guess we shall see eh?

broomd Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yes I do agree my intention was to explain what I saw. Do I think he meant to kill him? I do not.
Intent to kill isn't the required intent for second degree murder. If I hit you over the head with a baseball bat, but only intended to make an impression on you about what we were arguing about, that's intent enough, since one is held to the reasonable person standard in this regard. A reasonable person knows that a baseball bat to the head is potentially lethal, and a reasonable person knows that a kick to the head/neck area, while wearing skates, is potentially lethal. That's intent enough for second degree murder. The video leaves no room for reasonable doubt as to whether he intended to strike the victim in the head/neck region with his skates. Doesn't matter if he didn't mean to kill him, but only intended to prevent him from accomplishing his objective in the game. He intended to strike him with the skate, and that's all that's required.

That explanation makes 'intent' more clear, thanks for laying it out.

Seems to me that something was stated about this instigator being black, that would explain several journalistic outlets I viewed completely downplaying this to a 'collision between players' or accident silliness. Had initially wondered why these things were being said, not so much now.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by broomd
Intent to kill isn't the required intent for second degree murder. If I hit you over the head with a baseball bat, but only intended to make an impression on you about what we were arguing about, that's intent enough, since one is held to the reasonable person standard in this regard. A reasonable person knows that a baseball bat to the head is potentially lethal, and a reasonable person knows that a kick to the head/neck area, while wearing skates, is potentially lethal. That's intent enough for second degree murder. The video leaves no room for reasonable doubt as to whether he intended to strike the victim in the head/neck region with his skates. Doesn't matter if he didn't mean to kill him, but only intended to prevent him from accomplishing his objective in the game. He intended to strike him with the skate, and that's all that's required.

That explanation makes 'intent' more clear, thanks for laying it out.

Seem to me that something was stated about this instigator being black, that would explain several journalistic outlets I viewed completely downplaying this to a 'collision between players' or accident silliness. Had initially wondered why these things were being said, not so much now.
As I mentioned this act was so careless and dangerous that charges in my opinion should be filed. TRH I agree with your statement. Although I will say that my legal knowledge is limited/involuntary manslaughter ?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from westernrifleshooters.us]

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
involuntary manslaughter ?
Intent to do serious bodily injury is sufficient intent for a second degree murder charge. That level of intent is pretty clear from the video.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

No one in MN plays or has played hockey.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
involuntary manslaughter ?
Intent to do serious bodily injury is sufficient intent for a second degree murder charge. That level of intent is pretty clear from the video.
Thanks

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RamZPaul gets it right.

This is everything that needs to be said. It was an intentional kick to the face area, and it resulted in the death of a white guy. The offending player was black and will get maybe a hand slap.

T-zone is "dead" wrong.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Can those who have played hockey at any level greater than pond please raise their hand?

Hand raised.

The guy was hip checked and his leg went up. Ever been hip checked?
That's what I thought at first but I don't believe there was any contact at all with the first player (who I thought might have been offside). A hip check would have been the right move for that player, to protect his team mate with the puck, but he was past the point of being able to make contact. I have delivered and received hip checks. Not at this level and sixty years ago, mind you!
In slo-mo, it looks as if Petgrave may have made contact with the offside player (I think the linesman blew the call) with his elbow, but there was no hip check. I still think he threw the kick because he had missed the block and Johnson was getting past him with the puck. GD.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
There was no hip check.

That is a weird assertion.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 160user

No one in MN plays or has played hockey.

Are most of the posters here from MN?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by luv2safari
T-zone is "dead" wrong.

Could be. It happened once before. Doubtful though.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Clint Malarchuck and Richard Zednik both had their throats cut, Clint never played again, Richard did I think, but was downhill after that. There has also been a number of Achilles tendons and ankles cut, it is just a matter of time until someone creates better safety equipment for the entire body to prevent cuts anywhere on the body. The playoffs last year had the one guy fall (pushed) onto a skate, cutting his face near his eye.

As an aside, with 90+ mph shots, somebody is gonna get a puck in the head/throat area that can easily prove fatal, just a matter of time.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Hockey players should be very good at controlling where their feet go in such circumstances.

If they could they would have all their teeth....

Last edited by Muffin; 11/01/23.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Evey check and hit in Hockey is intentional.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by richj
Evey check and hit in Hockey is intentional.
Those are expected, though, as part of the game.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve played the game since i was a wee lad into my late 20’s. I’ve coached and now I’m a happy spectator. I have never seen anything like this . I think that dirtbag intentionally kicked him. I don’t believe he tried to kill him; it was a dirty play from a goon. The clown should absolutely be prosecuted for his recklessness and disregard

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

271 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 2500HD, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 160user, 29 invisible), 1,726 guests, and 1,084 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,630
Posts18,492,987
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.