-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All good choices. I have or have had all 3. My favorites are the Rugers. I have a MK II, MK III and 2 MK IVs. The MK II and IVs are my favorites. The takedown on the MK IV is so nice and spoils you. I have a Performance Center Victory and its a real nice shooter. Has an awesome trigger for a stock pistol. I don't like the allen key takedown on it though. One that you might want to add to your list would be a vintage Hi Standard. They are great shooters as well.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same... President Ronald Reagan
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Have only handled the S&W and shot a friend's at the range a little bit, it's a good pistol with a decent trigger but a bit heavy.

The Mark IV Rugers are getting a reputation for crappy triggers. Mine was horrible - heavy, long and gritty. It needed a Volquartsen accurizing kit to clean it up which added a hundred bucks or more to the price, but now that the trigger is good it's a great pistol; reliable, accurate and easy to clean. As a plus, if you ever wanted to get a different model you can find different uppers for sale at a lot lower price than a new pistol and switch back and forth in a few seconds.

Had a total of one Buck Mark but can't find anything negative to say about it - it was accurate and had a good trigger. It never had reliability issues but it was only fed good CCI ammo, no bulk junk, and again, sample of one.

As much as I like my Rugers the Browning will probably check the most boxes right out of the box.

Generally guys that really like Rugers, prefer them over the Browning and vise versa. This is an age old debate because guys are always arguing about which one is the best. Personal experience from when I was a kid is still engrained in my memory banks, from the Buckmark my dad always shot. It malfunctioned all the time. However he did not like to take it apart and clean it.

When I became old enough, I always had a Ruger mk2 pistol of some sort. Whether it be a govt. model, slab side, target, or the standard model. One thing I can say about the Ruger is it functions without hiccup, even when it has not been cleaned in a while. There are guys that say the Ruger is a PITA to take apart and clean. The other day I had my girlfriend time me to see how long it took to clean each pistol. A Ruger MK2 stainless heavy barrel target model and my dad's old Buckmark.

The Ruger requires no tools for disassembly. The Browning required a screwdriver. The Ruger took 2 minutes and 38 seconds to clean. The Browning took 9 minutes and 45 seconds to clean. Had I been in the field and not had a screwdriver, the browning would be left dirty and functioning like crap. Because as soon as it gets dirty, it starts having issues.

As for the triggers. Ruger had a very good reputation for a nice smooth trigger in the Mk2's, then by the time the MK4's came along you start hearing about how bad the Ruger triggers are. This is some of the reason I, and several club members, always recommend a MK2. Because guys tend to badmouth the Ruger triggers, I checked mine the other day and it was 2 1/4 pounds and very consistent. Then I checked my slab side, that is still like new. Pull weight measured 2.5 pounds on that one and very smooth. I had always heard the Browning trigger is better. I checked my dad's old Browning and it weighed right at 2 1/4 pounds as well. All triggers tested are very nice. No negatives that I saw.

Through accuracy testing, the Browning hangs right in there with the Mk2's. After a complete teardown and cleaning, the Browning functioned almost flawlessly. As it did have 3 ftf out of 100 rounds fired. The Ruger had no issues and digested 200 rounds that day.

With this being said, I saw a very nice stainless Browning Buckmark at the LGS the other day. Between that and the Ruger MK4, I would probably also choose the Browning. However, the older MK2 would be the one I'd buy, if all 3 were in the same display case. However, some guys have a propensity against buying used, and somehow think a brand new rifle or pistol is better. Most times they are not.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Ruger, Browning, or S&W Victory are all good.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
why are you timing how long it takes to clean a pistol?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Ruger MK II was probably the epitome of the breed out of the box. The Mark III was one step forward and two steps back. They drilled and tapped all the receivers - step forward - but then put a dumb looking loaded chamber indicator on it and a magazine safety, the latter being detrimental to the trigger pull. They did move the magazine release to the "proper" place but I had no complaints with where it was.

I have to say my current Mark IV is my favorite .22 pistol but it took some mods to get there. The Volquartsen trigger upgrade was an absolute requirement, and it had a lot of failures to fire with Federal Automatch. The firing pin on the Mark IV comes to a smaller point and hits less surface area of the cartridge rim. Putting in a Volquartsen firing pin with a larger, more squared off tip solved the problem, the new firing pin being identical in profile to the ones in the older Mark III.

But now it has a great trigger, is very reliable, and I can switch from a 6" lightweight barrel to a 5.5" target barrel in about 20 seconds, so two guns in one. And if I wanted, there are other uppers out there that would all work just fine using the already optimized grip frame and bolt.

That said, I try to be objective about things, especially when making recommendations to someone. A lot of folks really like their Buckmark pistols and I had no issues with mine at all, it was a fine pistol right out of the box, no extra parts or mods needed. For someone who doesn't want to add more money or mess around to get a pistol to where it should be, the Buckmark would be the way to go. The Victory would be good as well but I was surprised at how heavy it was compared to the other two.

All in my not at all humble and highly valued opinion, of course. wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's a pic of the Volquartsen firing pin on the left and the Mark IV OEM part on the right. You can see how much more surface area is struck by the Volquartsen aka Mark III style pin.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I currently have two Brownings and a S&W, if I had to only keep one it would be the S&W. I like the trigger better and it shoots lights out. I have nothing bad to say about the Brownings either and have never owned a Ruger but know guys love them. Try to handle all 3 and I bet one of them will stand out to you. Good Luck!

Wac em and stack em
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Jim in Idaho: What problem are YOU trying to/did solve with the larger surface Volquartsen firing pin?
I never recall a 22 L.R. cartridge failing to detonate in ANY of my Ruger MK-1's, MK-II's, MK-III's or MK-IV's! And I fire many hundreds of those cartridges per year through those pistols.
And this - the triggers on my 3 Ruger MK-IV's work fine for me on Ground Squirrels as I have laser ranged confirmed kills with them out to 75 yards (red dot sight aided).
I have installed LOTS of Volquartsen "upgrade" parts on various Rifles but have as yet to do such on any of my Ruger MK pistols - convince me - I foresee a long winter here in Montana and need some projects.
TIA
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I had the Ruger, I have a Buckmark. Much prefer the Browning.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
If you want to spend the bucks, there is nothing like Volquartsen.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I know which way I lean.....

It looks like you put on a flat trigger - what possessed you to do that?

Those Tandemkross triggers are just excellent, well worth the modest cost and considerable (for me) trouble to install. I wasn’t sure about the loop on the slide, but it really helps. Their red dot mount was originally for the Fastfire pattern, but now they offer a more universal version.

I look at other .22 pistols, but the Victory does everything I can possibly need, so another would be excess.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's a pic of the Volquartsen firing pin on the left and the Mark IV OEM part on the right. You can see how much more surface area is struck by the Volquartsen aka Mark III style pin.

[Linked Image]

Looks good, might even make Federals more better…..

What fresh Hell is this?
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
A recently acquired $200 Smith 22A on a rest at 25 yards. Local pawn shop has the shorter barreled version for $220. A dead reliable shooter.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348

[Linked Image]

Looks good, might even make Federals more better…..
That was the whole reason for replacing the firing pin, to let the pistol shoot Federal Automatch reliably. Usually if an Automatch round misfired it could be turned 180 degrees and it would go off on the second strike, but it got to be a PITA to do that once and sometimes twice each magazine.

Now a fellow could just use different ammo but somehow or other I ended up with three cases of the stuff so figured a new firing pin for a few bucks was worth the effort. That was replaced in January of this year and I'm happy to report that there have been almost no FTF's since then. There were a couple but those rounds were beyond help since they didn't fire even after hitting them in three different places around the rim.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Ruger Mark IV Hunter here.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have all three and love them all, my Browning did take a break in period, the other two ran right out of the box but all three are very good.

Benefactor Life Member NRA, Arizona Hunter Education Instructor
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Have two Ruger mk 2 targets with VQ stuffings (competition trigger kits +), a Browning bullseye, a Browning field target, a S&w victory, and some others.

Frankly, I think your three choice are all quality pistols that could serve you well. Choosing between your three options, I'd try to handle them all, read up on them, and see how easily they break down to clean, etc. It'll be more about which one works best for you.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I have High Standard and Ruger. This suppressed Mk III has a custom trigger job. I used a Clark steel trigger and Volquartsen parts to create a near perfect trigger. It has a trigger stop, breaks clean at about 2.5#'s.

It shoot subsonics very well, is quiet enough that it won't bother deer. I take it deer hunting, put it in my pack for coons, squirrels, etc. The big red dot isn't pretty, but it works OK.

DF

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I have a Mk III and a Buckmark and like them both. It’s easier for me to shoot the Ruger accurately. Therefore, in my exceptionally irrational way, I hung a Burris scope on the Buckmark and have a great time with it .

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I’m a big fan of the Rugers.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 160user, 22250rem, 45 invisible), 2,552 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,709
Posts18,475,378
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.