Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Had lots of fun with those 1.5-5x20s on Ruger 10/22s growing up. Dad only bought Stingers too. Never suffered any China junk back then... A right proper upbringing, LOL. Enjoy your hunts. I've done far less with them but had a few Leupolds fail. They've put out millions. Chit happens.

I very much appreciate that Leupod employs hundreds of machinists and techs in Beaverton. And they've avoided branding purely China-made riflescopes thus far, unlike those Burris, Vortex and Sig bitches.
Plus 1….. Boomer

Ask for forgiveness......instead of permission
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KenMi
I wouldn't automatically rate Japan any higher. All depends what glass they use.
A post on another forum rates the SWFAs at about a 40 year ago level as far as optics. They mentioned a move to China might actually improve them. Lol

40 years ago, dialing most scopes was a guessing game at best. But the original 10x SS was dialing on my 50bmg without issues for over 600 rounds.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

People didn't buy them for the glass quality. They bought them because without going over 1k, you couldn't buy anything that worked mechanically.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
Why even waste the brainpower when there are so many better options out there already anyways? Guys get bent out of shape about CCP and I surely get it, but don’t buy junk in the first place and the point is moot.
Huhh? What junk are you referring to? Are you implying that sport optics made in China are by default "junk" quality?
For the most part yes, as are the vast majority of the ones on your list above.
Sig branded rangefinders seem to please many. Plenty of kudos lately to Arken mechanicals. Holoson and Vortex have well-regarded electro optics. Have a couple lpvo from Primary Arms that are so far faultless for what they are. Same can be said for some Hawke, Athlon and reportedly GPO products. Not everyone goes top-tier for every purchase. That's often the crux here. Does the whole family get European bins and rangefinders? Not on most folk's budget. Of course some of the listed brands have never marketed anything worth a chit.

The "Euros" use Chines electronics as well, and quite a few internal pieces of their riflescopes.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
Good that the Asian devices used to view/post on this thread seem to work ok.

GOA
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by Pappy348
So Boomie, looks like you’re either going to have to abandon your principles or buy from one of our former enemies instead, unless you want to roll the Leupold dice….

Short of two critters taken with Burris scopes all of mine have fallen to Leupold scopes. This includes 400 rounds through my 1.5-5 X 416 Rem prepping for a successful buffalo hunt in Zimbabwe and 300 through the same scope in my 375 H&H prepping for a SE Alaska brown bear hunt. Zero issues. Elk and moose in BC with my 35 Whelen, black and grizzly also in BC with my 338-06, black bear in Alberta with my 35 Whelen, plains game in Zim, South Africa and Namibia, all Leupolds. Colorado elk and mule deer and on and on with plenty of shots fired. Zero issues. All of my Leupold's are 10+ years old and most older. Maybe things have changed? This year mule deer dialed with a Leupold via SML.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You have good reason to be satisfied, no doubt. My experience in recent years has been mixed, so I just avoid them and buy stuff that hasn’t given me trouble.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by EdM
So Boomie, looks like you’re either going to have to abandon your principles or buy from one of our former enemies instead, unless you want to roll the Leupold dice….

Short of two critters taken with Burris scopes all of mine have fallen to Leupold scopes. This includes 400 rounds through my 1.5-5 X 416 Rem prepping for a successful buffalo hunt in Zimbabwe and 300 through the same scope in my 375 H&H prepping for a SE Alaska brown bear hunt. Zero issues. Elk and moose in BC with my 35 Whelen, black and grizzly also in BC with my 338-06, black bear in Alberta with my 35 Whelen, plains game in Zim, South Africa and Namibia, all Leupolds. Colorado elk and mule deer and on and on with plenty of shots fired. Zero issues. All of my Leupold's are 10+ years old and most older. Maybe things have changed? This year mule deer dialed with a Leupold via SML.

So it took 700 rounds to prep for 2 hunts? Sounds like some bullschit

Fück Joe byron
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs

Exactly. LOL. At this point in the game the "don't buy Chicom" thing is just silly. It is categorically impossible to own anything in your home/work/shop/life that doesn't have some component made by a Chinese company. I suspect even the bearings on an Amish horse drawn wagon are Chinese...

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Sad
Campfire Tracker
W
Seems like everyone got over Pearl Harbor.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Paradiddle

Exactly. LOL. At this point in the game the "don't buy Chicom" thing is just silly. It is categorically impossible to own anything in your home/work/shop/life that doesn't have some component made by a Chinese company. I suspect even the bearings on an Amish horse drawn wagon are Chinese...
So, just say screw it and indulge without a thought otherwise? That's retarded. LOL

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
Japan is not currently trying to fuuck the hell out of us to the extent that the CCP is... . But, yes, for some that could be a legitimate deal breaker.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Hammer2506
Originally Posted by EdM

So it took 700 rounds to prep for 2 hunts? Sounds like some bullschit
Poor excuse for a contribution.

I'll take Ed's word for it.

--- Kid Rock 2022

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Especially the Leupold owners.

They started early..

Leupold has NEVER ground their own glass and started exclusively using Jaoanese lenses starting around 1970.

God Bless America...

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Ditto. Don’t know Ed, but he seems as genuine as they come. He sure posts some great dead animal pics.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Fairly well off topic and broad brush.

For what it's worth, neither of my primary viewing/posting devices are labeled MIC. Are yours?

More to the gist of the thread, how about the next one and does it matter to you?

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by jk16

Especially the Leupold owners.

They started early..

Leupold has NEVER ground their own glass and started exclusively using Jaoanese lenses starting around 1970.

God Bless America...
Hmm. So not many options then. Maybe some peep sights. LOL

--- Kid Rock 2022

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I've got mostly Leupold and Zeiss and ,Meopta , and I've got some higher-end China stuff in a couple pretty low in China things most likely. they all have a place in what they're mounted to.

some people have limited budgets and they have to do what they have to do. to buy the very best product you can for your dollar is what you want to do no matter where that is made (yes the best product for the dollar can be a matter of that person's opinion)
or you can be someone like me as an example that you've got actually a lot of toys and you want them scoped up so you can play with them and you really don't want to invest high dollar optics on each and every one of them...
but what I've noticed in the last few years some of the higher end China made optics are getting pretty good and closing the gap on the real high-end stuff...
does this mean I'm a China lover no not at all it just means I'm kind of realistic

flame suit on

Last edited by ldholton; 11/01/23.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I have several rifles I'd like to equip with 6x42 MilQuad SWFAs. They work pretty good for the task of making hits on targets while dialing for range. I generally favor riflescopes made by LOW and that other Japanese place. I've never failed to achieve hits with them because of GLASS. LOL

Originally Posted by goalie
Originally Posted by KenMi
I wouldn't automatically rate Japan any higher. All depends what glass they use.
A post on another forum rates the SWFAs at about a 40 year ago level as far as optics. They mentioned a move to China might actually improve them. Lol

40 years ago, dialing most scopes was a guessing game at best. But the original 10x SS was dialing on my 50bmg without issues for over 600 rounds.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

People didn't buy them for the glass quality. They bought them because without going over 1k, you couldn't buy anything that worked mechanically.

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
That was sorta my mindset several years ago when I dove into a bunch of Hawke stuff. But, I'm leaning more towards actively avoiding MIC sport optics for reasons other than quality. Specifically the CCP link discussed earlier. Nobody should be on anyone else's ass for their decisions, just cognizant of their own.

--- Kid Rock 2022

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
That was sorta my mindset several years ago when I dove into a bunch of Hawke stuff. But, I'm leaning more towards actively avoiding MIC sport optics for reasons other than quality. Specifically the CCP link.
totally understand. personally I think the Hawke line is some of the better China made stuff per $$

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by ldholton
That was sorta my mindset several years ago when I dove into a bunch of Hawke stuff. But, I'm leaning more towards actively avoiding MIC sport optics for reasons other than quality. Specifically the CCP link.
totally understand. personally I think the Hawke line is some of the better China made stuff per $$
Agreed. Primary Arms too.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (160user, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 12344mag, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,326 guests, and 1,345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,674
Posts18,493,813
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.