Print Thread
Hop To
F
Fenton Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
For you guys who do your canning on a Camp Chef propane unit, do you have any issues with warping of your Presto canners?
Presto says don’t do it as the heat is too high at 30,000BTU’s but I know some of you do it. I see they have diffuser plates available, do you use those?
I have 2 new Presto canners. Never did any canning before and want to try it. I’d like to use the Camp Chef Explorer stove, but don’t want to warp my canners.

Any comments from your personal experience?

Thanks,
Fenton

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I’ve not used a Presto. We have an All American. You don’t need to start or run the Camp Chef at full throttle. Half way would give more than enough heat to get it boiling. Once it comes up to pressure you’re going to keep just enough heat on to maintain pressure.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I don't have a gas stove like that. All of ours is done inside on a glass top electric stove. I did find this link with some info on canning on an outside burner:
LINK
It looks to me like the main thing is to not crank it up to the volcano heat that many of them are capable of. They do say that the burner needs to be close to the diameter of the canner to spread the heat evenly.

Here's another quote from Simplycanning.com:
Warnings for Outdoor Canning Stoves
Please note: It has been pointed out to me that some pressure canner manufacturers do not recommend using their canner on a propane burner. I checked my owner’s manuals and indeed my Presto has a warning against using a burner higher than 12,000 BTUs. I could find no such warning in my All American Canner owner’s manual. Read your owner’s manual to determine if there are any warnings.

I’ve been using another propane burner with no issues, so I’m comfortable using this and simply not turning the heat up to high…you, of course, have to make your own decision.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The reason Presto says to not use this type of heat source is because people are stupid.

People think that because these burners can be cranked up so high that they sound like a jet engine, that’s what needs to be done.

Turn the flame to a med low heat to bring it up to pressure. Once there, turn the flame down just high enough to maintain constant pressure, no need to apply more flame than necessary.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use that exact set up. I definitely use the diffuser plates because even on just low I had a presto canner bottom start to round, not a bulge perse but it did change the shape a little. I started using custom diffuser plates I had made because I couldn't find any commercial ones. Since then I have had zero issues. We can probably 300 jars a year, 100+ is meat in the pressure canner. Feel free to pm if you have particular questions you don't want to ask publicly.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
I use that exact set up. I definitely use the diffuser plates because even on just low I had a presto canner bottom start to round, not a bulge perse but it did change the shape a little. I started using custom diffuser plates I had made because I couldn't find any commercial ones. Since then I have had zero issues. We can probably 300 jars a year, 100+ is meat in the pressure canner. Feel free to pm if you have particular questions you don't want to ask publicly.
I was curious about that. What are you using for a diffuser plate? Will just a flat piece of steel work or do you need holes in it to allow some of the heat through?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
It's kind of like your pickup, just because there is another inch of throttle pedal, it doesn't mean you should mash it to the floor. Adjust your burner to provide just enough heat to maintain pressure, you will not destroy your kettle, you will not cook your gaskets, you will not calcify the vents. Maybe your Camp Chef is different, but mine is infinitely controllable, gravy? gently cooked eggs? no problemo.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
we have been canning with 2 prestos on fish cookers for years with no problems.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by rayporter
we have been canning with 2 prestos on fish cookers for years with no problems.

Same. Not 2 just have 1, but been using a presto on a turkey/fish fryer for years. And yes despite the pearl clutching by some, I crank it up then regulate it from there. If somebody else doesn't feel comfortable with that I understand, but it can be done completely safe, just have to have enough sense to be able to read what is happening and back it off when appropriate. Reaching an initial sign of approaching desired heat and pressure is the same no matter what source it's coming from.

The warnings against using fryers is because they have the ability to blow a pressure canner sky high left turned up too high and unattended. I use a fryer specifically because I can get to that 55 mph cruising speed a lot quicker. I check my gaskets and vent before each use. Never a hint of any issues before or after each canning session.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Same BS for idiots and Laywers.

[Linked Image from magik-stik.com]

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have always used the stove in the house. We just moved a couple of months ago and I can see that my double stacker American is not going to fit on the stove with the low microwave. So I will need to be looking into options.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
I was curious about that. What are you using for a diffuser plate? Will just a flat piece of steel work or do you need holes in it to allow some of the heat through?
The ones I had made I had them put holes in them

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Propane doesn't get hot enough unless you burn a lot of it- - - -fish cooker, turkey fryer, etc. The oldtime Coleman gasoline stoves will get a pressure canner up to temp much faster than Propane, but you have to use a little common sense. Back when the kids were at home we did a lot of canning- - - -buy a bushel of green beans and can several dozen quarts, etc. My wife used the kitchen range on Propane, and I'd run the other canner on a 3 burner Coleman gasoline stove. My canner would outwork hers almost 2 to 1 because it came up to pressure faster. A steel plate over the stove burners evened out the heat.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have made several diffusers or trivets as my wife calls them. Cut them from 3/16” mild steel plate to fit the burner or pot being used. No holes. Use them on a propane stove in the kitchen or on the Camp Chef burner. We have a one gallon stainless steel percolator and use the plate under it when the coffee starts to perk. Don’t know why it wouldn’t work with your canner.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 59 invisible), 2,505 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,184
Posts18,484,764
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.