Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Has anyone here ever hunting in San Angelo state park ? This is a draw hunt for the spring, I drew a permit and would like to talk to all to anyone who has hunted there.

GB1

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Never hunted there and didn’t apply for that area but wondering how many preference points you had in order to get drawn? I’ve got 4 and didn’t get drawn in the 1st draw so it says results pending 2nd draw. I’ve never experienced a quota hunt system in any state where I didn’t get drawn to hunt turkeys in 4, now possibly 5 years. I love how TX Oarks and Wildlife boasts about over a million acres of public land yet seems damn near impossible to hunt any of it except small game. To me it seems obvious someone is trying to steer hunters to ranches or leases where you have to pay $$$ to hunt a damn rio.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My son and I drew that hunt about 23 years ago when he was just 12 years old. It was the first time I ever hunted west of the Mississippi and we had a blast. We took our dedicated hunting mountain bikes but we were not quite as prepared for the flats we would experience from the thorns as we should have been. The flowers were in full bloom and we fell in love with the country out there. The North Concho didn't have much water in it but made a good landmark to hunt from. I remember seeing my first Roadrunner there and the herd from the original strain of Texas Longhorn cattle roaming the park was pretty cool. They also had Bison in a pen and still do I believe. We stayed in a cabin on the park. We got into gobbling birds but could only close the gap on jakes, which we passed on.

Ironically, I fell in with a rancher who owns a superb property on the North Concho river outside of San Angelo several years ago. I now do some hunting and guiding on his place for whitetail, axis deer, and turkeys. It's an amazing place that I absolutely cherish being able to enjoy. I never would have dreamed of the opportunity back when I first visited the area on the draw hunt.

Life is great but God is better!

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I love that area. Spent most of my turkey chasing south of town, IVO Christoval.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
I love that area. Spent most of my turkey chasing south of town, IVO Christoval.

Yep.

Love the Tom Green/Irion county area !!!

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1minute, 1Longbow, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 1moredeer, 204guy, 52 invisible), 1,883 guests, and 1,061 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,894
Posts18,498,029
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.