Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#18895399 11/02/23
Y
yosey Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Y
I understand Tika rifles are made by the same company and usually get very high marks. I'd like to hear from anyone who has experience with Sako rifles. I am in the market for a new .270 or maybe a 6.5prc for deer here in Maine. Thoughts?

HR IC

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I don't think the Tikka rifles hold a candle to the 1960 era Sakos with Borfors barrels.

Last edited by Whokalouie; 11/02/23.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by Whokalouie
I don't think the Tikka rifles hold a candle to the 1960 era Sakos with Borfors barrels.
Wow! Have you shot a new T3x lately?..They shoot mighty accurate, I cant imagine any 1960's era rifle being any more accurate..Hb

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I have only a couple currently and to compare a stainless Sako A7 to my 1960’s Sako L461 in .222 Rem Mag with a heavy Bofors bbl isn’t a fair apples to apples comparison. Both rifles shoot better than I can hold steady with the Varmiter having maybe a slight edge in accuracy over the A7 in .308. The Sako A7 has been my go to light rifle and it’s all I’ve used the past 10 years for big game. Up north I have more options including .22 centerfire so I’ll be using different ones for fun.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I've got both. Tikka's are just as accurate or the ones I've got are. I've several Sako's too. 60/70's era Sako's are very nicely finished. That is the difference to me. Accuracy is the same.

IC B2

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
A friend has a Tikka and the groups were much larger than mine when shooting off a bench rest. At 218 yards my three shots were covered with a quarter, the Tikka's group was a silver dollar. I shot both rifles, been shooting and reloading since the late 50's. The ammo used was loaded in 1966.
I will stay with my Sako for accuracy.

Last edited by Whokalouie; 11/02/23.
J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
My absolute favorite rifle is a Sako AII. I use it 95% of the time here in Maine and it does everything I want well. I think the main point is that it fits me like a glove and points like a finger. It has been on moose, Caribou, and elk hunts without a hiccup.

I have a few other Sakos that are very accurate and well made but they tend to sit in the safe. I have an older 243 that is extremely accurate but very heavy.

I also picked up a Tikka T3x in 6.5 last year. To be fair to the rifle I set it up differently than I would for hunting here. It is not, so far, as accurate as my AII nor is it as handy. It is as others have said a nice rifle and one I’d recommend

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have both. The barrels fitted to Sako and Tikka today are the same barrels. My experience is that the Sakos have a better fit and finish and more metal on them. Examples are plastic vs steel for trigger guards. Bolts on the Sakos in the past have been one-piece bolts. In my opinion, Sako rifles are one of the best factory rifles on the market. They have always impressed me.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by devnull
I have both. The barrels fitted to Sako and Tikka today are the same barrels. My experience is that the Sakos have a better fit and finish and more metal on them. Examples are plastic vs steel for trigger guards. Bolts on the Sakos in the past have been one-piece bolts. In my opinion, Sako rifles are one of the best factory rifles on the market. They have always impressed me.

Couldn't agree more.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by devnull

Couldn't agree more.

+2

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Love my Sakos! I don’t have as many as some folks (8) but they have all served me well. I have recently learned something about my beloved Bofors barreled Sakos. IF the story is correct, Bofors was ok with their name on the barrels, until they weren’t. They made Sako quit putting the Bofors brand on their barrels BUT the steel is still Bofors.

My Sako/Bofors 338 a month ago being sighted in last month. First shot was a fouler, then three for the record. 225 grain Acubonds.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sakos are great, I love the AI and AIIs, but as has been hashed out here many times stay away from the 85s as they have well documented ejection issues due to their oddly placed ejector.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have three Sako A7's.They shoot darn good.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have owned Sakos for the better part of 40 years.. I also own Tikka T3 Lites... both are great guns. If you want a plastic stock stainless gun to beat arournd, get the Tikka... If you want a very nicely finished, incredibly blued gun with nice wood, get the sako... pretty straight forward.

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by spence1875
Sakos are great, I love the AI and AIIs, but as has been hashed out here many times stay away from the 85s as they have well documented ejection issues due to their oddly placed ejector.

I have an 85 medium length action in 6.5 x 55. It is probably the most accurate off the shelf factory rifle I’ve ever owned. It will put 5 130grain NAB’s or SGK’s into less than a half inch all day long.

I’ve seen all the talk about ejection issues on here but have never experienced it. I recently had the rifle up in a stand with a couple of hours before “prime time” and got to thinking about it. I worked the bolt as I normally would and the loaded round popped out. I put it back in and tried it a few times, retracting the bolt as slowly as I could each time. I finally got the loaded round to fall back into the action when I drew it back about as slowly as humanly possible with the rifle canted to the left about 30 degrees. I repeated the same unscientific experiment at the range with fired cases getting essentially the same result.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The 85’s had ejection issues which were due to a mechanical blade ejector working at 6 o’clock on the bolt. Mounting scopes high cured it but ejection was redesigned with the sako 90.

The sako A7 was the last sako that was worth what you had to pay. The new rifles are pricey. The older A series are a good used bargain.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I had 5 or 6 Firearms International era Sako’s over the years. Beautiful guns and very accurate, but they are heavy.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm not a Sako Guy,but have more than a few. Newest one here. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Grabbed some extry mags,while they still exist. Hint.

Tempted to build another 7" RPM 22PPC AFI on a S/S version of same,just for Giggles. Hint.

Just sayin'.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This sako A1 shot 117 badgers in the last 2 years. Great little action

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bless your heart for fhuqking TRYING...McGowen is about THE Schittiest Spout available. Hint.

You "lucky" Kchunt. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 163bc, 43 invisible), 2,328 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,641
Posts18,493,228
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.