Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I hit the range today with my new 5" Python. Out of the box I was not impressed with the action. Heavy and stacked pretty bad D/A. I put some Gunslick graphite grease where the lock work pushes the hammer back D/A and between the main spring and the rebound lever which did help the trigger pull. The triggers on my S&W revolvers are smoother and have less stacking than the Colt but I did install Wolff lighter rebound springs in them. I shot 112 rounds today. 12 rounds facory Rem. 357 125gr HPs and 100 of my load, using 158gr LSWC and enough powder for a +P load. The lock work seems to be smoothing out. The sights are not a problem to me but the grips suck. I have short fingers, so I ordered a Hogue grip. Overall, I'm pleased with the Python but for the price the action could be better.

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Getting into reloading to save money is like getting married for free sex.
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks for the review. What is your general impression of fit and finish? How was the accuracy? What modifications will you be doing to it? Which Hogue grip did you order?

I still have not held a 5" Python but they look great. I'm an S&W fan but this revolver looks like something I need.

RS

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Overall fit and finish are good. The accuracy seemed to improve as I shot it. The action was getting better during the second 50 round box. Once I got it sighted in, I shot mostly D/A at 10 yards. I ordered the rubber Hogue grip. Not as pretty as the wood grips but functional. Some complain about the sights, but I had no problem using them and I'm not a red insert fan. IF you were going to adjust the sight for windage a good bit I would change the sights. I may get a trigger job done after I shoot it more. I think at this point the action will wear in and be about like my S&W revolvers.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Lots of shooters who go from Colts to S&W or visa versa confuse the popular term trigger stacking without understanding the differences between the two designs. I was a comp revolver mechanic/gunsmith about seven to eight years. Lots of customers would come into the shop unhappy with what they called stacking without understanding what it meant. Anyway the S&W trigger pull always starts loaded or harder then gets lighter to break. While the Colt revolver is different and pulls easy at first then loads and pulls harder at break. If you learn to shoot DA on a Smith after a while you learn to stage the trigger and with a competition hand and early take up you can stage so the break is almost like SA. The Colt pulls easy and quick until the mainspring loads the,trigger then the trigger picks up oz’s of weight and breaks. If this is what you’re feeling it’s normal. But it’s hard to say without have the gun in my hand

Rick

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Rick, I had a Colt Official police 38 years ago and I have shot S&W revolvers for many years since I traded the Colt 38. Your description of the differences between Colt & S&W D/A trigger pull is spot on. The "stacking wall" has already lessened after my first time at the range. Thanks for your input.
Dave

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
It will smooth out.

Try some Super Lube, it works pretty well. The Hogues are much better than the factory.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by JB in SC
It will smooth out.

Try some Super Lube, it works pretty well. The Hogues are much better than the factory.

It is already smoothing out. The Hogue rubber grip I ordered came today. Far better fit for my short fingers.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Slightly off topic, but I think it is important:

DO NOT USE GRAPHIT!

It will corrode metal. Do a little Google research.

At the same time it hurts your guns, its excellent lubricating capabilities "hide" the damage it is doing.

I want a 3" Python and a 4 1/4" Anaconda, but have been told BOTH won´t be exported to Europe.

;-(

Hermann

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks for your input. Dave

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Arminius
Slightly off topic, but I think it is important:

DO NOT USE GRAPHIT!

It will corrode metal. Do a little Google research.

At the same time it hurts your guns, its excellent lubricating capabilities "hide" the damage it is doing.

I want a 3" Python and a 4 1/4" Anaconda, but have been told BOTH won´t be exported to Europe.

;-(

Hermann

Would love to hear how things are going over there right now, Wherever You Are.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Good Morning Dave,

When Colt brought out the new version of the Python, reviews were very positive on accuracy, stacking , lock-up , etc.

The main spring was changed from a "V" shape to a "U" shape. Which was to help eliminate stacking.

Now , as time has gone by a few problems are know to exist in the new models.

"Lock-up" can occur if trigger is not allowed to go all the way forward after firing.

Cylinder may have some play at full lock-up.

As for accuracy, I have shot and own the original hand fitted Pythons.

The barrels in both new and old are 1:14 twist. The old Pythons have a tighter bore

at the muzzle, I do not know if the new ones have this feature.

I have only shot couple cylinders out of a new 6" Python. Not enough to get a good impression.

I believe your Python will get better with shooting.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I've had three original Pythons in the past. Sold the last one when the prices got crazy. Still have my Model 357, which was actually the premier Colt double action revolver before they started putting a ribbed and underlugged barrel on it and calling it the Python. It had precisely the same degree of factory tuning and finish as the Python. It's standard model version was the Trooper, meant for police duty.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I've had three original Pythons in the past. Sold the last one when the prices got crazy. Still have my Model 357, which was actually the premier Colt double action revolver before they started putting a ribbed and underlugged barrel on it and calling it the Python. It had precisely the same degree of factory tuning and finish as the Python. It's standard model version was the Trooper, meant for police duty.
That was the best medium frame DA .357 in my book. They are VERY strong, can take Magnums all day long, and when tuned right, the DA is very nice. I'd love to have a Colt 357.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
That was the best medium frame DA .357 in my book. They are VERY strong, can take Magnums all day long, and when tuned right, the DA is very nice. I'd love to have a Colt 357.
Don't know if mine was ever tuned (other than at the factory), but it's got a sweet double action.

Would love some correct, or near correct, grips on it.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
These are the correct ones. Reproduction, they look good but may require some fitting.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/361894203342?_ul=IL

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by GunGeek
These are the correct ones. Reproduction, they look good but may require some fitting.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/361894203342?_ul=IL
Been there, done that. Not even close in fit, and I don't have the wood working skills to take something on like that. Sent them back for a refund, and since I had to pay shipping to Asia, I basically lost my money.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Have an old blued 6".
Fine for range or hunting.
Think the 4" is better for carry, but seemed a bit short.
Think the 5" might be ideal.
Finally saw one.
Sure is tempting.

Last edited by hookeye; 12/17/23.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1936M71, 61 invisible), 2,463 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,195
Posts18,485,050
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.