Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Oooooh my. Beautiful. Gorgeous rifles and impressive successes in the field. My hat is off to y’all.

Last edited by OldRooster; 10/17/23.
GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Trying to decide on scope.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Last edited by hookeye; 10/19/23.
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I took up hunting later in life than most folks, at age 44. After two unsuccessful seasons carrying a boring synthetic/stainless Rem SPS, I satisfied a very old itch to have a No. 1 by selling the SPS and buying a No. 1A in 30-06, followed soon after by an RSI in 7x57. Those two rifles saw success and the No. 1 bug bit me hard. I've since hunted the last 16 years with single shots, almost always a No. 1. It's a powerful affliction.

This year I took a pronghorn with No. 1 AH in 25-06. I carried a No. 1S in 35 Whelen for first rifle elk season with no luck, but only got to hunt two of the five days. For plains rifle deer season, I'll be using a Browning 1885 Low Wall in 44 mag. After Thanksgiving, I'm taking a K1A in 30-30 and a No. 3 in 30-40 Krag to OK for the regular rifle season. If those rifles have success, I'm itching to try a No. 3 with a 23" Lilja .375 bore chambered for 38-55, 2.125" in the late OK doe season at the end of the year.

Last year I took a 9-point mulie buck here in CO with a K1A with a 24" Lilja barrel in 7x57, effectively a K1AH. Later that year, I took a 10-point whitetail in OK with K1B with a 21" Lilja barrel in 358 Win. Like Gnoah, I'm a big fan of the No. 1A in 6.5x55 and took a whitetail with it in OK a couple of years ago. I think that 1A Swede would do just fine for anything I'll ever hunt, as it is just about the perfect combination of weight, handling, and power with little recoil. Same could be said for the K1AH 7x57.

Several other No. 1s and a B78 in 280 AI have also had success on whitetail, mulies, and pronghorn. Still no elk, but I'm not giving up until I can't walk up the mountains any longer.

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I still don't understand the O.P.'s question. ???

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Proly a typo

Hunting deer with this season with single shot?

Last edited by hookeye; 10/20/23.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
22-250 Low Wall. They are such handy little rifles. Trigger could be better, but it’s not terrible.

Had it out a few days last year but came up empty.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
for the last 25 years i have just used a Ruger #1 in Minnesota , Montana and Wyoming just the one cartridge the last 20 some years a 257 Weatherby mag. Brux barrel custom , i still see no reason to use any other type rifle in the lower 48 . i am in the planning stag of a May 2024 African plains game hunt but then a will use a 30-06 bolt rifle my main two reasons for changing rifles is 30-06 ammo is easy to find and there is no way i would take any of my Ruger #1`s on a plane or in another country to be ruined , taken or lost. but i am a single shot hunter otherwise ,my son uses a Ruger #1 ,son in Law does and now my grandson has a 257 Roberts in a Ruger #1 too. these Ruger #1`s are easy to load ,unload and has a great easy safety to see and use, its just a very safe rifle to use.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
So, my current plan is to use this early version Savage 219. If I have time I'll also change out the scope to a lower power 1.5 to 4 x 32mm. Sorry for the quick picture from the cluttered work bench. Backup for this year is a Savage in 7-08.

I hope to by this time next year to have it in some upgraded wood.

Attached Images
236951.jpg (12.25 KB, 371 downloads)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hunt with a single shot every year!
This one was not on the opener, but a few days later.
Cat
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
This is in the line up #1 build in 300 Savage
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
This will be in the blind as well. Custom High Wall in 38-55
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Encore
.50 ML
350 Legend
45-70

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by cra1948
Killed one of the deer I killed last year with my No. 1B .308, so it probably won’t be back in the rotation this year. I will definitely use my 1A in 7X57 and possibly my Encore in .25-06 AI.

Update to ad the (new to me) 1A 7x57 got blooded yesterday evening.

Mathew 22: 37-39

P
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
P
Custom Ruger #2 in 6.8mm SPC has been my go to Texas Hill Country deer rifle for several years.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

J
Joe Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by GSPfan
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GSPfan, I am a .300 Savage fan and that is the finest I've ever seen and that .38-55 is mighty fine too!

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I've been carrying a Ruger #3 around this year for bear and deer

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Cory

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Joe
Originally Posted by GSPfan

GSPfan, I am a .300 Savage fan and that is the finest I've ever seen and that .38-55 is mighty fine too!
Thanks for the compliment Joe

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I think the #1 Ruger is one of the nicest looking rifles I've ever seen. At one time I'd have done anything to afford one. Finally ran into one in 25-06 brand new for $265. Held it a bit and put it back. Found it and all the charm went out of it! Still think it is a beautiful rifle though but also think bolt action's are better hunting rifles for no other reason than they carry extra round's should you need it. If I were to get a #1 today it would be in something like a 222 Rem for varmints but I seldom go looking simply for varmints. I have on a few occassions had to take more than one shot. In each instance with a single shot I have my doubts I could have got off the second shot. Just takes to much time to reload and you have to take your eyes off the target. Boy those #1's are beautiful though! Perhaps my feeling's come from being a big bolt action fan and a guy that hunts when he can to fill the freezer. I'm pretty sure that would make a difference.

Last edited by DonFischer; 11/03/23.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by DonFischer
I think the #1 Ruger is one of the nicest looking rifles I've ever seen. At one time I'd have done anything to afford one. Finally ran into one in 25-06 brand new for $265. Held it a bit and put it back. Found it and all the charm went out of it! Still think it is a beautiful rifle though but also think bolt action's are better hunting rifles for no other reason than they carry extra round's should you need it. If I were to get a #1 today it would be in something like a 222 Rem for varmints but I seldom go looking simply for varmints. I have on a few occassions had to take more than one shot. In each instance with a single shot I have my doubts I could have got off the second shot. Just takes to much time to reload and you have to take your eyes off the target. Boy those #1's are beautiful though! Perhaps my feeling's come from being a big bolt action fan and a guy that hunts when he can to fill the freezer. I'm pretty sure that would make a difference.

Holy Horsepucky Batman, that is way too far from the truth. One, you can reload the #1 about as fast as the average hunter can using a bolt action rifle. Two, with a bit of practice you can chamber the next round without having to look at the rifle. The trick is learn how to do it with practice and a few dummy rounds.

I've hunted with Ruger #1s and a Browning B78 from 1975 to 2009 when I did my first private land antelope hunt and several private late elk hunts where either the outfitter or ranch disallow single shot rifles. I used the same outfitter for the elk hunts and aftersix one shot kills with a bolt action 30-06 one time and the other five with a .35 Whelen finally convinced the outfitted to let me use my single loader. I lost that hunt due to a bad car wreck and the outfitter has ceased doing that particular hunt for those that are handicapped.

So I can not see where hunting with a single shot rifle is in anyway handicapping ones self if one takes a bit of time and does a bit of rapid load practice. A short tale.

My next door neighbor had a visit from his father who turned out to like hunting. For some reason he wanted a .375 H&H to play with but couldn't find one for a left handed person. I suggested a Ruger #1 but like your comments, they were too slow. I'd just picked up a #1B in .300 Win. mag. a while back so I said let's go out in the desert and if it's all that slow. As we walked along we kicked up a jackrabbit and I snapped off a shot hitting right behind him. I did a quick reload and that was the end of that rabbit as pieces of him flew up in the air. My neighbor's dad said that was impressive and after going back home ordered a #1 in .375 H&H. I later heard from my neighbor that he really loves hunting with that rifle.

BTW, a 200 gr. Speer Hot Core at 2900 FPS is way too much for jackrabbits.

PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Shot a deer w my #1 RSI a few yrs ago.
Hadnt hunted with a #1 for at least 20 yrs.

Deer was double lunged, ran close and stopped. I got the empty out and a fresh round in without taking my eyes off the deer.

Didnt even think about it really.

See folks bobble all sorts of stuff at the range or on videos.
Comical.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Biggest mulie I ever got was with my #1 30-06. I hope to get one this year with my shiloh sharps.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 59 invisible), 2,204 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,110
Posts18,502,282
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.