Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Well it’s been a lively day here. South of town there’s a gravel pit and after a climb into the valley, it’s about a 3-4% downhill grade from there through town. Highway 36 is also our Main Street. A semi lost it’s brakes just as he was coming into the South end of town and came flying down Main Street, hitting 27 cars and ending up crashing into the Ford Dealership. Dude did a pretty decent job of steering clear of traffic. Several people injured but nobody killed.

[video:youtube]https://youtube.com/shorts/IKXhMtesrBo?si=MhUZtV3o2ZY1gdUX[/video]

Yours in Liberty,

BL
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Someone missed a brake check this morning. Modern semi’s don’t loose brakes unless they are miss adjusted.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
Someone missed a brake check this morning. Modern semi’s don’t loose brakes unless they are miss adjusted.

LOL huh?

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Carrying 30,000 pounds of bannas?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The guy running that dash cam is a top notch defensive driver.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Could the guy have shut off the engine?

Obviously not a trucker here,

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
A lot of people don’t think about it this way, but there are truckers who are heroes. Machines fail and the trucker often keeps people from getting hurt, often to their own demise.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Lucky.

I am MAGA.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Many years ago I was driving north bound coming down the Siskiyou Summit on I-5 and moved over to let a semi fly by with fire coming out of his front wheels.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
3-4% grade is no big deal. Failure on all parts.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No Jake brake?

Gun Owners of America
Escapee's RV Club
Elks
Moose
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Lose the engine, lose the air compressor, lose the air brakes. Every semi I've driven had an emergency brake lever next to the steering wheel. Pull it and everything locks up. I haven't driven one in 25 years, though, so I can hardly say what's in a modern tractor.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Traveler52
No Jake brake?

I wondered the same. They’re illegal in town but if you’re out of options who cares. I’m sure the Highway Patrol and UDOT will have a lot to say about it. Wondering if he got the trans in neutral and couldn’t get it back in gear for some reason or snapped a U joint and threw the driveshaft; damaging the air lines.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Definitely tore things up. Kilgore, well their insurance, is going to be writing quite the check. We’re up to 33 vehicles now.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Timeltel
Carrying 30,000 pounds of bannas?

A fellow Harry Chapin fan, I see.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Crystallized the brakes ?
If it had been an air line issue brakes would have locked up once pressure dropped to a certain point
Kenneth

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
That wouln't do much, but there is a large, yellow, diamond shaped, button on the dash that should have stopped the truck by locking up all the brakes on all the wheels a long way back up the hill.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Traveler52
No Jake brake?
The guy's pulling doubles, likely 100,000 pounds. The Jake brake isn't slowing that down.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Driver error.

You can see the smoke pouring out of the truck.
When facing a long downhill, the driver has to downshift prior to hitting the downhill. In this case he probably wanted 6th gear. You let the transmission keep you slow on the hill.

If you leave it in tenth gear, the truck will go too fast, and you have to try to slow down with the brakes. The brakes will catch fire, and the brakes will fail, and then, you have a runaway truck.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lotta misunderstandings here.

Properly adjusted brakes are a huge deal, but modern trucks can certainly lose
brakes even if they started out adjusted properly. Losing brakes is an affect of getting hot, not too much slack. Unevenly adjusted brakes can accelerate problems due to individual brakes heating faster, then failing. Leaving more burden to the remaining brakes.

Shutting a diesel off does nothing.
The hold back effect of a gas engine is pumping loss.
It's the effort of drawing vacuum, caused by closed throttle plates.
Diesels don't have throttle plates. The throttle directly controls fuel, not air movement.

The brake lever by the steering wheel (looks a bit like an automatic gear selector)
does not "lock everything up". It's simply a hand brake that controls the trailer brakes
only. On straight trucks it controls the drives and any lift axles.
It uses the same air as the foot pedal, in the same way. Except it only actuates the trailer brakes.
Mostly, it's used to lock the trailer axles to slide tandems or 5th wheels.

A lot of company spec trucks don't have them. Guys use them instead of the service brakes. Over taxing the trailer brakes and ruining them.(using them for anything other than sliding stuff is controversial)

As to the brakes locking due to low air?
Pulling the yellow button?

Both are the same thing, one automatic, one driver activated.
Usually, if they automatically deploy, the button pop's out. Sometimes, there is a small psi range where the brakes apply but the button doesn't pop.

That braking system is simple spring powered.
Pushing the yellow button supplies air to an actuator that compresses the springs and
releases the brakes. If the button is pulled or air pressure lost, the actuator disengages and strong springs apply the same brakes normally used.
But not with anything like the power of the air system. A heavy truck rolling at some speed, downhill, is very likely to NOT be stopped by the spring brakes.

Jake brakes can and do fail, not often.
Transmissions can jump out of gear. On old mechanical engines, that usually shut the engine off. Losing the air compressor and power steering. There is no way to get back in gear until the engine is running. If the truck accelerates to a speed higher than
It's governed at, it's impossible to get a gear even if the engine starts.

There are numerous possibilities here, the service glad hand popping off is certainly a possibility.

One thing I will bet the farm on.
It's not one issue.
Accidents are almost never a single failure.

Usually in something like this you will find,
Speed
Brake Maintenance
Brake adjustment
Other mechanical failure
Air loss (maybe tied to other causes, especially maintenence)
Over loaded
To name a few.

By the time DOT is done, they will have a list.

If he was overloaded, the quarry may well be involved.
The one I hauled out of refused to let us leave heavy. Following a wrongful death lawsuit that they were involved in. Selling an extra ton of stone cost them dearly.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 11/04/23.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Yeah, he could - then he would have been without both brakes AND power steering.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

403 members (007FJ, 1Longbow, 160user, 17CalFan, 163bc, 10gaugemag, 38 invisible), 2,231 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,627
Posts18,474,158
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.