Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Hippos, if you can imagine. Time to get a new Creed if you can get the tag. Unfortunately, I don't see hunting on the list of possible solutions.
LINK

Colombia will try to control invasive hippo population through sterilization, transfer, euthanasia
The Associated Press

BOGOTA, Colombia — Colombia will try to control its population of more than 100 hippopotamuses, descendants of animals illegally brought to the country by late drug kingpin Pablo Escobar in the 1980s, through surgical sterilization, the transfer of hippos to other countries and possibly euthanasia, the government said Thursday.

The hippos, which spread from Escobar's estate into nearby rivers where they flourished, have no natural predators in Colombia and have been declared an invasive species that could upset the ecosystem.

Authorities estimate there are 169 hippos in Colombia, especially in the Magdalena River basin, and that if no measures are taken, there could be 1,000 by 2035.

Environment Minister Susana Muhamad said the first stage of the plan will be the surgical sterilization of 40 hippos per year and this will begin next week.

The procedure is expensive — each sterilization costs about $9,800 — and entails risks for the hippopotamus, including allergic reactions to anesthesia or death, as well as risks to the animal health personnel, according to the ministry. The hippos are dispersed over a large area, and are territorial and often aggressive.

Experts say sterilization alone is not enough to control the growth of the invasive species, which is why the government is arranging for the possible transfer of hippos to other countries, a plan that was announced in March.

Muhamad said Colombian officials have contacted authorities in Mexico, India and the Philippines, and are evaluating sending 60 hippos to India.

"We are working on the protocol for the export of the animals," she said. "We are not going to export a single animal if there is no authorization from the environmental authority of the other country."

As a last resort to control the population, the ministry is creating a protocol for euthanasia.

A group of hippos was brought in the 1980s to Hacienda Nápoles, Escobar's private zoo that became a tourist attraction after his death in 1993. Most of the animals live freely in rivers and reproduce without control.

Residents of nearby Puerto Triunfo have become used to hippos sometimes roaming freely about the town.

Scientists warn that the hippos' feces change the composition of rivers and could impact the habitat of local manatees and capybaras.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Paging LBP….

MAGA
DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Paging LBP….
Hahaha!

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
if you haven't noticed we've been invaded by the same. they disguise herself under the Jenny Craig plan..

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
S.B.S.
Shoot, bulldoze, shut up.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Wonder if hippo back strap is any good

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
The USA has a similar invasive species, but its exponential population growth is being subsidized by federal welfare programs like SNAP and EBT and they have learned to ride the electric shopping scooters at WalMart- - - - -it's called a

N I G G A P O T A M U S!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Wondering why they don't turn them into hamburger. Venezuela would probably be glad to take them. Getting a hippo onto a trailer would probably be a problem.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Surgical sterilization? WTH? Who’s out there nutting hippos? Sterilize them with a 416 Rigby.

Failing that, maybe they can hire the pied ghettopotamus.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by Ben_Lurkin; 11/03/23.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I could take em all out in one season of working up loads for my wildcats & testing new bullets

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I’ll take a Hippo prime rib medium rare with baked potato with butter and sour crème. Might need a doggi bag

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
They would probably eat about like a Vietnamese pot bellied pig. As in about five gallons of rendered lard for five pounds of lean meat.

But there has to be some hungry indigenous peoples somewhere on that river who could make use of an over sized hog. Or a hundred.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Now I know where to check out on my next trip to Colombia

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
The USA has a similar invasive species, but its exponential population growth is being subsidized by federal welfare programs like SNAP and EBT and they have learned to ride the electric shopping scooters at WalMart- - - - -it's called a

N I G G A P O T A M U S!

I'd laugh if this weren't so true.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”

Patrick Henry
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
There was a restaurant in Cocoa, Florida that featured exotic game meats. I ate both lion and hippo there. Hippo was "pork roastish" if I recall.

According to Capstick, hippos kill more people on and around water in Africa than crocodiles do. Vicious animals with short tempers and long tusks.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They need some nile crocodiles. That'll keep the hippos in check.

Last edited by Steve; 11/04/23. Reason: Some are sarcasim impaired. Font changed to reflect that "It's a Joke, son!"

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
There was a restaurant in Cocoa, Florida that featured exotic game meats. I ate both lion and hippo there. Hippo was "pork roastish" if I recall.

According to Capstick, hippos kill more people on and around water in Africa than crocodiles do. Vicious animals with short tempers and long tusks.

Not to mention they can do that twirrly flying chit thingy with their tails.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steve
They need some nile crocodiles. That'll keep the hippos in check.

Better read up some on that.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I knew there would be a reason I added a 375 Ruger to the lineup. Yes, easy, sell ‘cull hunts’. Just tell the cartel to leave the hunters alone.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
This is what comes from the boredom of too much money.

Shoot ‘em, then de-nut ‘em. They live to be 50, that’s a lot of hippo poop in the environment…..

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

507 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 160user, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,448 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,320
Posts18,487,400
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.