Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Was out this AM, shooting my Rem 700/Brux 257 R. It does really well with the 100 TTSX over max dose of H-100V at 3,250 fps (24" barrel). I've killed deer with that combo, have posted those targets.

BUT, I'm running low on those bullets, only have a can of H-100V. But, I have a big pile of 120 NPT seconds i accumulated some time ago. Shelf life on those bullets is pretty good.

I just shot some great groups with the 120 NPT over 47 gr. MRP. I got a big jug of that powder a few years ago; it's my fav in the .240 Wby with 100 NPT's.

So, with a generous supply of 120 NPT's and a big jug of MRP, that's now my default load for deer hunting this season. Sometimes you just gotta use what you have. And the Partition is never a mistake.

BTW, Norma shows that load at nearly 2,800 fps, others show it there or a tad faster. I've not clocked it, was using my 4 wheeler as a shooting bench.

A 120 NPT at 2,800 fps should do just about any and everything I ask of it, especially on local critters.

DF

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I push 115 Partitions slower than that out of my Roberts and it flat out turns their lights out. I suspect you'll see more decisive kills with the Partition than the TTSX.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I push 115 Partitions slower than that out of my Roberts and it flat out turns their lights out. I suspect you'll see more decisive kills with the Partition than the TTSX.
I think you’re right. Currently on a deer stand, needing to cull some does. So, maybe we’ll see how well they work.

MRP is said to be a more refined version of RL-22, more lot to lot consistency. Just what I’ve read. I know how well it works in the .240 Wby with 100 gr. Partitions.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I think you’re right. Currently on a deer stand, needing to cull some does. So, maybe we’ll see how well they work.

MRP is said to be a more refined version of RL-22, more lot to lot consistency. Just what I’ve read. I know how well it works in the .240 Wby with 100 gr. Partitions.

DF

Good luck and have fun.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I scored THE 257 Roberts in 1990. S/S PN SelectMatch 1-10" on a S/A 700. It shot GREAT. Hint.

I then poked it in a McMillan Classic(Urban Camo) and punched it BetterBob,which was GREATER. Hint.

Then circa '95 or so,I had it rechambered 25-284,which was GREATEST. Hint.

The trouble was/is "Greatness" hinged upon Dog Schit projectiles. Hint.

While there's a myriad of troops who worked/hunted/shot with me and watched me connect dots with same,the end result is like the Initial Launch,in that it's a Goat Fhuqk. Hint.

In final guise(25-284),it can't begin to hang with farrrrrrrrrrrr lesser case capacities,that simply cast vastly superior projectiles. Yesterday's 25-284,PALES to Today's 6 BR and I shoot multiples of each. Hint.

I simply retain THE 25-284 of Yore,for pure Retrostalgia and Oblivious Humor. Hint.

My Herd of Howie Mini's LAUGH at the notion,as they eclipse the "performance",with FAR lesser powder charges and vastly superior projectiles. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I scored THE 257 Roberts in 1990. S/S PN SelectMatch 1-10" on a S/A 700. It shot GREAT. Hint.

I then poked it in a McMillan Classic(Urban Camo) and punched it BetterBob,which was GREATER. Hint.

While there's a myriad of troops who worked/hunted/shot with me and watched me connect dots with same,the end result is like the Initial Launch,in that it's a Goat Fhuqk. Hint.

In final guise(25-284),it can't begin to hang with farrrrrrrrrrrr lesser case capacities,that simply cast vastly superior projectiles. Yesterday's 25-284,PALES to Today's 6 BR and I shoot multiples of each. Hint.

I simply retain THE 25-284 of Yore,for pure Retrostalgia and Oblivious Humor. Hint.

My Herd of Howie Mini's LAUGH at the notion,as they eclipse the "performance",with FAR lesser powder charges and vastly superior projectiles. Hint.

Yes. I had the same experiences. Around 1995, any projectile I launched from a standard .257 Roberts started bouncing off deer and elk like ping pong balls. I said to myself, "Self, how could decades of game-killing performance just stop because newer cartridges are available?!" Then I remembered that a .257 Roberts shooting MOA *ALWAYS* stops working on game when a 6mm or 6.5mm projectile is released on the market. Duh.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Yep, people did their man bun too tight when the Queefmores came out, and cut off blood flow to their brain.
Hornady put an addictive substance in their marketing scheme.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
One thing about the manbun, sure is easy to load accurate ammo. It’ll shoot about anything.

DF

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Buford_T_Justice

Yes. I had the same experiences. Around 1995, any projectile I launched from a standard .257 Roberts started bouncing off deer and elk like ping pong balls. I said to myself, "Self, how could decades of game-killing performance just stop because newer cartridges are available?!" Then I remembered that a .257 Roberts shooting MOA *ALWAYS* stops working on game when a 6mm or 6.5mm projectile is released on the market. Duh.

BeverlyFhuqkstick,

Your Imagination and Pretend are fascinating...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart,for fhuqking trying.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B

BeverlyFhuqkstick,

Your Imagination and Pretend are fascinating...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart,for fhuqking trying.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!............

I know! I can't believe these other shooters aren't taking the hints. You've hinted SO MANY TIMES. And you even congratulate them. Why won't they stop and listen to you? Bullets are bouncing off deer left and right and they just think you're a big joke. I keep trying to tell them you didn't have a stroke. You don't have Tourette's. You're trying to explain to them why all of their 260s and 257s and 243s can't kill animals anymore.

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Comes from someone that can't lift his lazy ass off the couch other than to allegedly get the mail, post worn out pics, snag half dead fish in trickle creek, and maybe poach a few dink bucks over the bait pile .

But big numbers look big.

Ya!

Lol

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by KenMi
Comes from someone that can't lift his lazy ass off the couch other than to allegedly get the mail, post worn out pics, snag half dead fish in trickle creek, and maybe poach a few dink bucks over the bait pile .

But big numbers look big.

Ya!

Lol

Stop lying to yourself, Ken. You know bullets matter more than headstamps and your bullets are bouncing off deer. Stick only throws his rifles in the creek to get your attention. Same with the colored tape and nail polish. You won't take the normal hints. Even when he repeats them several times in a thread and encourages you with congratulations. He even comes up with nicknames and abbreviations to help you remember things. Why won't you just listen?

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
LOL. He is farting in the wind. Apparently in his self centered mind, he thinks IGNORE doesn't mean anything, and that we all ponder his pitiful self all day long.

Facts and reality show the exact opposite. HINT.

Bullets matter more than headstamps, so why the heck does he change the subject and pimp certain cartridges totally unrelated to a question asked? Hmmmmm..... Headstamps don't matter.. HINT

He means "big numbers mean way more to me than actual reality".

If he actually hunted and shot stuff with decent bullets, it would throw his BS shtick out the window real quick.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Same here! ......... I thought I was the only one who had this happen to them.

I've been using the 257R for going on 20yrs with (gasp) 100gr Hornady SPs and everything I pointed that rifle at died. After seeing the light, thanks to the Big Stick Spirit Guide, I'm afraid to use that rifle/bullet combo now that I've been converted esp given the ping pong ball BCs those bullets are putting out. It's a real shame as I was thinking about gifting that rifle to my grandson along with a good supply of those bullets. I'm probably going to have to go another route now. Maybe the BSSG can guide me in that as well.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I put this gal down with a 257 Roberts pushing a 115 Partition. When I walked up to her, I said "another 257 Partition kill" out loud. Damn thing got up and ran off.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One thing about the manbun, sure is easy to load accurate ammo. It’ll shoot about anything.

DF

Yup, the 6.5 CM = "Better Rob."

But I have, and like both. The Rob is just a lot cooler wrapped in a nice piece of walnut than a Creedmoor...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ladies,

Don't "forget" to count how many times you think about me...you "lucky" kchunts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Nothing is fhuqking FUNNIER,than a Professional Victim Pity Party,you Whining CLUELESS Kchunts. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
I just thought of Dipstick. Getting my ammo together for hunting. BCs are .138, .180, .195. Thought to myself, "what kind of moron would say these won't work? Then I remembered. Lol

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Ken. Ken. Ken. Stop lying and imagining. Your obsolete rounds can't kill game. HOW MANY RIFLES DOES STICK HAVE TO THROW IN THE CREEK BEFORE YOU'LL LISTEN?!

Paul. Just stop it. You didn't kill that deer with a 257. The twist rate alone means you couldn't have hit the deer at 10 yards with its feet glued to the trail. Clearly an AI generated image. Probably created for you by Nosler!

You guys just won't listen to reason. THIS IS WHY HE HAS TO SHOW YOU HIS MAIL. YOU WON'T LISTEN.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ladies,

Keep Pretending aloud,as you "live" vicarously...you "lucky" kchunts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Ladies,

Keep Pretending aloud,as you "live" vicarously...you "lucky" kchunts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

It's not your fault. IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT. IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT STICK. I know throwing rifles in the creek hurts you more than it hurts us. But you have to keep doing it. Do it for all of us.

I hope the rest of you are happy with imagination and pretend.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ladies,

I reckon it plum flattering,to have yet another Devoted Professional Victim,rattling pom-pom's and sucking ass from the sidelines,as she "lives" vicariously...the "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratullations?!?

Pardon my simply shooting it all and then some,as you Melting Snowflakes "get" to Pretend aloud. Hint.

.109 BC here. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart,for Whining,Crying and Trying.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I wondered how long it would take before the irrelevant photos started showing...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Oh shyt. I just remembered my OALs are less than 3.999", my bullets aren't smoaching the lands, and all 4 rifles are wearing Leupolds.

Damn, no point in even taking the cooler. Might just load some blanks with Bullseye powder and foam earplug wads.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What other "move" would you Pretend to "have",other then setting astride your Couchbound Kchunt and Whining aloud...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Don't forget that Imitation is THE most Sincere form of Flattery,as you add punctuation. HINT.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't "forget" your heralded Imaginary Pretend Ignore and the simple Facts,that besides being a Brokedick CLUELESS Drooler,that you just "happen" to be a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Again,you'll wanna keep track of how many times a day you think about me,as you "live" vicariously. Hint.

In fairness,Reupolds are handy. Hint.

You Professional Victims be SURE to keep filling out your Hurt Feeler Reports,in order to fuel your Pity Party. Hint.

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart,for TRYING.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..................

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Don't let them get to you, Stick. I know you're just being strong for all of us. NEVER STOP.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Lol. He can blow hot air all he wants. Most of us never see it, and everyone works, hunts, shoots, and has a happy, productive life while he mires in "paradise" HINT

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by KenMi
Lol. He can blow hot air all he wants. Most of us never see it, and everyone works, hunts, shoots, and has a happy, productive life while he mires in "paradise" HINT
Why are you doing this, Ken? How many nice rifles have you thrown in the creek to educate the masses? How many rifles have you dismissed as trash for shooting MOA but without the highest BC possible? How many retorts do you have saved to copy/paste for efficiency while helping everyone around here shoot better? None, none, and none. You need to stop, Ken. Stick can't do this all by himself.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stick can't do this all by himself.

I stand with Stick!

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by SuperCub

I stand with Stick!

How dare you mock him after all he's done for you. Thousands of hints left. Who else congratulates you every single day?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SuperCub

I stand with Stick!

How dare you mock him after all he's done for you. Thousands of hints left. Who else congratulates you every single day?

You're right ...... I'm sorry.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Brad

DF

But I have, and like both. The Rob is just a lot cooler wrapped in a nice piece of walnut than a Creedmoor...
Agree on Roberts being possibly more "cool" than the Creed based on its long and distinguished history.

Like you, I have both and enjoy both. The one I pick up depends on my mood more than anything else.

Right now, it's the .257. I had been shooting the 100 TTSX over maxed out H-100V at 3,250 fps.

But, I'm running out of that bullet and only have a can of H-100V.

I happen to have a bunch of 120 NPT's and a big jug of MRP. My 24" Brux barreled 700 will shoot that combo (47 gr. MRP) MOA all day, occasionally 1/2". So at just 2,800 fps, its still a potent combo on hogs and WT's.

So, this day and time, you shoot what you have or can find. The Partition is never a mistake.

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have had a few rifles chambered in 257 and 257AI since the first, a Ruger 77 R, arrived in 1981.

After trying a lot of different bullets, I've settled on the 75 and 90 grain Sierra for shooting varmints and 110 grain ABs for medium game. Same/same for the 25 WSSM, 25-284, and 25-06.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I have had a few rifles chambered in 257 and 257AI since the first, a Ruger 77 R, arrived in 1981.

After trying a lot of different bullets, I've settled on the 75 and 90 grain Sierra for shooting varmints and 110 grain ABs for medium game. Same/same for the 25 WSSM, 25-284, and 25-06.
I worked on the M-70 trigger for a good bud who was having issues with his .25 WSSM. Man was that a nice little rifle. Brass would be an issue, but he had a lifetime supply.

I've read it can be a challenge to tweak an action to feed those smoothly. The factory seemed to have solved that issue. He said it fed rounds very smoothly and it was accurate.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

DF

Agree on Roberts being possibly more "cool" than the Creed based on its long and distinguished history.

Like you, I have both and enjoy both. The one I pick up depends on my mood more than anything else.

Right now, it's the .257. I had been shooting the 100 TTSX over maxed out H-100V at 3,250 fps.

I happen to have a bunch of 120 NPT's and a big jug of MRP. My 24" Brux barreled 700 will shoot that combo (47 gr. MRP) MOA all day, occasionally 1/2". So at just 2,800 fps, its still a potent combo on hogs and WT's.

So, this day and time, you shoot what you have or can find. The Partition is never a mistake.

DF

I am anxious for you to introduce one of those Partitions to a deer and report back.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

DF

DF

I am anxious for you to introduce one of those Partitions to a deer and report back.

Do they have a high enough BC to kill a deer???

🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂😁🤡

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

I worked on the M-70 trigger for a good bud who was having issues with his .25 WSSM. Man was that a nice little rifle. Brass would be an issue, but he had a lifetime supply.

I've read it can be a challenge to tweak an action to feed those smoothly. The factory seemed to have solved that issue. He said it fed rounds very smoothly and it was accurate.

DF

I jumped into the 25 WSSM with both feet and have hunted deer and shot pdogs extensively with 5 different Winchester 70 that feed smoothly enough for me. The biggest whitetail that I've ever tagged fell over dead in its tracks after being shot with a 110 grain AB from a 25 WSSM. I even had 1 rebarreled with a 1-14" ROT barrel just to shoot 75 grain bullets from Hornady and Sierra for varmints and Barnes original X for deer. Some people say that I went the wrong way with the slower ROT, but it is slightly more accurate than any of my 1-10" barrels with 75 grain bullets.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Goalie, those Partitions don’t have the best BC. May have to beat a deer to death after shooting one.

Ha!

DF

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
From the pictures I've seen, Big Stick knows where to put the + on deer being shot for meat. I like seeing the popeyes, anywhere else is just making a mess.

Life is good live it while you can.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
From the pictures I've seen, Big Stick knows where to put the + on deer being shot for meat. I like seeing the popeyes, anywhere else is just making a mess.

The pics from 20 years ago when he poached a few at 30 yards over a bait pile. True long range hard charger

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

It ain't hard and doesn't take a high BC bullet to put venison in the cooler....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How many times is that doe gonna die?

Lol

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Beaver10
How many times is that doe gonna die?

Lol

🦫

All the times!!!!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I saw 257 Roberts ammo loaded with 117gr. RN from Remington sale in the Natchez flyer. Looked em up and out of stock. Nice that Remington cares.

Dog I rescued in January

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by rickt300
I saw 257 Roberts ammo loaded with 117gr. RN from Remington sale in the Natchez flyer. Looked em up and out of stock. Nice that Remington cares.
Yeah, the Creed is a much better option if ya gotta buy factory ammo.

I don’t have that problem.

BTW, my Creed shoots the 109 gr Absolute Hammer at 3,200 fps over TAC powder. Generally you need faster powder with the AH to get enough in the case for max performance.

Go figure. Shoots MOA or better. Google the AH. Interesting concept.

DF

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by goalie

It ain't hard and doesn't take a high BC bullet to put venison in the cooler....

Oh here we go again. Stick has burned through tens of thousands of dollars destroying rifles and scopes to try to teach you that if a .257 Roberts can't kill an elk at 1300 yards, every cartridge invented before 2001 is trash. And you just won't listen. WHY WON'T YOU LISTEN?! How many rifles have to go in the creek? How many stocks have to be spray painted before you get it? Go out right now, find a deer, and touch off a 243 Core Lokt -- and tell me if it doesn't just bounce off. You know it's going to. That's why you used AI to create the photo of the dead doe. Stick is just being strong for all of us. STAY STRONG STICK.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M

Too bad!

My grandmother killed a bunch of Montana big game with that 117 round-nose Remington factory load, using the Remington 722 I still have--and have hunted quite a bit. The animals varied from pronghorns to cow elk, and she only used the factory open sights. But that was long ago, when animals killed at under 300 yards didn't count....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Too bad!

My grandmother killed a bunch of Montana big game with that 117 round-nose Remington factory load, using the Remington 722 I still have--and have hunted quite a bit. The animals varied from pronghorns to cow elk, and she only used the factory open sights. But that was long ago, when animals killed at under 300 yards didn't count....
She must have been a very special lady, must have had eyesight like an eagle. And, you still have her keepsake, that very special rifle.

What a legacy. I love hearing the story.

DF

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I remember reading that story in a mag article some years ago I too have remembered it. Kinda fueled my thing for a 257. I think this Rem 700 I traded into has the mojo workin, we’ll see what opening day brings.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by OldRooster
I remember reading that story in a mag article some years ago I too have remembered it. Kinda fueled my thing for a 257. I think this Rem 700 I traded into has the mojo workin, we’ll see what opening day brings.
Look forward to those details.

Yeah, the old Roberts is a classic. It's as effective now as when they rolled it out, maybe more so with modern bullets and powder.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 11/10/23.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Were I sitting in a deer stand, I can’t think of a rifle I’d rather have in my hands to wile away the hours than a Roberts wrapped in a good stick of walnut…

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Were I sitting in a deer stand, I can’t think of a rifle I’d rather have in my hands to wile away the hours than a Roberts wrapped in a good stick of walnut…

Man, that’s some good looking lumber.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
My 257 Roberts only has a twelve twist barrel (actually a gain twist finishing at twelve) it will handle 120 Speers or 100 Hornadys real well, but nothing with a super great BC. Is it a steaming pile of crap? GD

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D

I’d be sitting in a blind admiring that wood, myself.

Like they say, life’s too short to be hunting with an ugly rifle.

Now, busting brush and hard use, it would be hard for me to beat up such a fine rifle. That’s what synthetics are for.

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Thanks Paul, I looked for the better part of 10 years for the "right" Roberts with wood like this.

Now, busting brush and hard use, it would be hard for me to beat up such a fine rifle. That’s what synthetics are for.

DF, totally concur. This Rob is the only wood-stocked rifle I own. African Walnut is my stock of choice for most of the hunting I do.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
For several years now I have used 117 grain Hornady interlocks, I have killed several bucks with them now and see no reason to use a more expensive bullet. They shoot into a quarter for 3 at 100, which is about the best I can do anyway. I have used the 100 grain TSX but see no improvement in performance.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The little 100 gr Sierra BT has given me more in the track kills of any rifle I own. I did end up with a few hundred of the Hornady 117 RN when Midway had a sale on them. They will be next seasons load.
Brad congrats on finding a nice looking Roberts. Still looking for a special one to be my last.

GreggH

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Thanks Paul, I looked for the better part of 10 years for the "right" Roberts with wood like this.

DF, totally concur. This Rob is the only wood-stocked rifle I own. African Walnut is my stock of choice for most of the hunting I do.

African Walnut! I had to read that twice!

Pretty rifle Brad. Very cool

Semper Fi
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, had to read that one twice, but got the idea of what he meant.

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by beretzs

Ha, yes - that's a Doberism for Fiberglass laugh

The other side:

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I can see why you had to spend some time finding that one.

Pretty special.

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The Kimber select classic, a nice rifle, mine used to look pretty nice but it’s pretty bunged up now. African Walnut! That is funny!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jimmyp
The Kimber select classic, a nice rifle, mine used to look pretty nice but it’s pretty bunged up now. African Walnut! That is funny!
Yeah, I got a chuckle out of that one.

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Ha, yes - that's a Doberism for Fiberglass laugh

The other side:

Now you're just showing off whistle

Semper Fi
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Well yeah!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
257 Roberts, the original 6.5 Creedmoor…

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dirtfarmer;
Good morning to you sir, I hope that the weather is tolerable and seasonally appropriate for you folks down there and that you're all well.

Since I've never been front and center when anything has been shot with a .257 Roberts, I can't truly do anything more than guess on how the combo you're going to try will work on the local deer.

Now a long time hunting partner used a .25-06 for years to take the biggest bodied and racked Okanagan mulie I've been in on, as well as at least a half dozen other bucks, but that might not count.

Oh, now that I think of it I shot at least two with it as well.

Then our youngest shot 8 or so local mulie and whitetail bucks with a .250AI which has to be in the neighborhood of a .257 Roberts I'd think. They all died with one bullet each and our family ate them, so that'd indicate some level of success to me.

Lastly, after I started typing the response, I remembered that I have a .257 Roberts barrel on a 96 action in the parts pile in the shop that need a bolt either fixed or replaced, but maybe if the world holds together long enough I'll remedy the not having shot anything with a Roberts part of my response.

All the best to you all, Happy Thanksgiving pretty soon too I believe and good hunting.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Well yeah!
If ya got it, may as well flaunt it.

Ha!

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Shrap’s got some pretty toys, too.

DF

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
One of my favorite rifles...a Melvin CLR/NULA is 257Rob. Asked Melvin to paint it for hunting in Georgia pines. Tack driver with 110ABs.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Nice. Now that’s a keeper.

DF

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Nice. Now that’s a keeper.

DF
Oh hell yes! That’s exactly what I should have had done to my CLR NULA. Exactly. I wasn’t smart enough.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Can you share your Accubond load, and what MV you are getting? thanks

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by southtexas

46gr RL19 @ 2855 but I'm out of RL19 and can't find any. Will have to work up new load this spring.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I shot my Kimber Montana in 257 Bob over the weekend and it's ready for the deer woods in a couple of weeks. Going to use 100 grain TSX bullets over IMR4350. I think I am going to really like hunting with this rifle.

NRA Lifetime Endowment Member
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Jpterry

46gr RL19 @ 2855 but I'm out of RL19 and can't find any. Will have to work up new load this spring.

Not sure if they ship, but Shyda's in Lebanon Pa had 5lb'er and 1lb'ers on the shelf yesterday.

Cool rifle!

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Beautiful rifles/set up guys! You are tempting me to "Covet"! lol

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Jpterry

Not sure if they ship, but Shyda's in Lebanon Pa had 5lb'er and 1lb'ers on the shelf yesterday.

Cool rifle!
The challenge is finding power here at powder prices. The guys here are charging the $22 haz mat fee on top of the going prices for a pound of powder on each and every can. The means $70 a pound for us.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
BTW I’m getting about .6 or .75 with 100 gr Sierras over H414. Tried the 414 b/c rationing my 4350 for the ‘06.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1936M71, 12savage, 1lessdog, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,543 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,679
Posts18,474,956
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.