-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
But my cell phone DD will read a different number than the plotted point. If I walk to the cell phone DD location I might be 15 feet off.
If you're that far off, check the specs on your phone. I suspect that it doesn't have a true gps but is triangulating from cell towers. That's not as accurate.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Badley Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
They are giving me a Google earth map with plotted points. They are listed with DD coordinates. I then have to go to those points and collect samples and make observations. Google earth is the platform they are choosing to use.

Badley Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have a iphone12

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
But my cell phone DD will read a different number than the plotted point. If I walk to the cell phone DD location I might be 15 feet off.
If you're that far off, check the specs on your phone. I suspect that it doesn't have a true gps but is triangulating from cell towers. That's not as accurate.

15 feet is pretty good for GPS without a local ground station (differential GPS).

No way cell tower triangulation is anywhere near that close.

All the farmers in my area have differential GPS ground staions to provide the accuracy for farm work.

You might be able to use local GPS ground stations for better accuracy.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
OK, I think I might understand correctly what you want to do, you want the large data field at the top of your screen to display in DD, correct? I see now after looking closer at your pic that the data field is displaying decimal minutes. If my understanding is correct, after you change your position format to DD as we discussed earlier, you'll need to change the data field from "Location (lat/lon)" to "Location (selected)". If you're not familiar with making changes to the data field, go to the link I posted earlier for the manual and go to the Map Page section, which starts on page 24 and it will walk you through it. Making that change on my 64s changed how the location was displayed from decimal minutes to decimal degrees so hopefully it works on yours too.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Badley Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Was that what you wanted to do and did it work?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Check out Bad Elf

Badley Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have not got it to work. Been busy working and havent had alot of time to mess with it. Ill keep working on it.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
OK, I think I might understand correctly what you want to do, you want the large data field at the top of your screen to display in DD, correct? I see now after looking closer at your pic that the data field is displaying decimal minutes. If my understanding is correct, after you change your position format to DD as we discussed earlier, you'll need to change the data field from "Location (lat/lon)" to "Location (selected)". If you're not familiar with making changes to the data field, go to the link I posted earlier for the manual and go to the Map Page section, which starts on page 24 and it will walk you through it. Making that change on my 64s changed how the location was displayed from decimal minutes to decimal degrees so hopefully it works on yours too.

[Linked Image]
^^^This is how you do it^^^
I had to switch datums in my Etrex and my Garmin marine unit to sync with Google Earth. Or you can switch Google Earth to sync with your gps unit. My daughter, former heli paramedic, said they always had trouble finding fire/rescue on the ground because they did not have standardized gps datum.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (219 Wasp, 222Sako, 1eyedmule, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,574 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,570
Posts18,473,264
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.