Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#18900997 11/04/23
243guru Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Looking for seafires reduced recoil 270win loads using imr 4198 his data please. Everything I list smart buttons show up¡!!!!!!

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 243guru
Looking for seafires reduced recoil 270win loads using imr 4198 his data please. Everything I list smart buttons show up¡!!!!!!

If you want my 2 cents:

30 grains with bullet weights from 110 SP to 150 SP in the 270.

My favorite bullets in most calibers is the Ballistic Tips, for this type of service.
They will actually open up down to 1100 fps , when they hit a deer.

This morning I dropped a 175 pound blacktail, with a 95 grain Ballistic Tip out of a 6 x 45, but the load on that was 24 grains of H 322, not 4198. Clipped the upper right ventricle and killed it instantly.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Originally Posted by Seafire
My favorite bullets in most calibers is the Ballistic Tips, for this type of service.

Which brand of ballistic tip?

Are you getting enough penetration for quartering shots? For exit wounds?

Thanks!!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Interesting. I thought 270win was pretty mild to begin with. I use 4198 in 45-70

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Pinnah

Thanks!!

I use the 140 nbt in my 708 from the 100 per box, supposedly they’re soft. With 25grs imr4198 I’ve shot through every hog I pointed it at. The last one was the biggest boar we’ve killed, probably 250lbs or so, bullet passed through skull, spine, off shoulder and exited.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Thanks!!

They are made by Nosler. Its a brand name for them, so I don't think any other company is going to use Nosler's name for their bullets also...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
Interesting. I thought 270win was pretty mild to begin with. I use 4198 in 45-70

I started doing all of this decades ago, because I was a shooting instructor and merit badge counselor with Boy Scouts.
Started using it off of Cast Bullet load manuals, before venturing out on my own and testing it alot. I even carry it afield.

The common scenario. was a kid passed the rifle shooting merit badge with the 22 LR, grandpa would give the kid his 30.06 or 300 Win Mag, which beat the crap out of a 12 year old.. then the dad would get all mad at his kid for crying and being afraid of it. So I started working up loads with 4198 and RL 7. 4198 is more commonly available around here.

Found out that 30 grains listed as max, works in anything from 243 actually up to 35 Whelen, and everything in between.

We are talking for kids, with shots being the usual 100 to 150 yds. I've used it out to 300 and 400 yds on deer sized game.

I would tell the kids dad, after the kid shot it and liked it, to buy the bullets and powder and I'd load it for him. So I'd load 50 rounds or so for them, and a week or so later, the dad would call me up to see if I could load up another 50 or so for them. So I'd ask if the kid had shot all 50 over the last week... the answer usually was along the lines of ' ummmm well... uh no' Then I'd follow up the question, with another of " did Dad shoot a couple and really liked the lower recoil"... a few hymns and haw and then " well yeah.. sorta".

I had no problem loading them for dad also...in fact I've got 40 rounds of 300 Savage in the Garage, that I loaded for a dad several weeks ago (150 SP Hornady with 30 grains of 4198 ) Said the first batch was the most accurate he's ever shot out of his Savage 99. He left the rifle here and I mounted a scope on top of it for his, and zeroed it. Deer season is almost over now, and he hasn't been back to pick up his rifle& scope, nor the ammo. I don't charge for this 'service' for any dad or kid.. or anyone else for that matter. Who knows.. and he didn't leave me a phone number.

IC B3

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
They are made by Nosler. Its a brand name for them, so I don't think any other company is going to use Nosler's name for their bullets also...

Thanks for the clarification!

Last question regarding your experience with IMR 4198...

Do you notice any position sensitivity with 4198?

I get a bit of with light 3031 loads, which has been my go to powder for years.

Thanks again.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

Thanks again.

With 30 grains of powder verses what a full charge is, do you think you will be able to position the powder over the primer ?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by anothergun

Thanks again.

With 30 grains of powder verses what a full charge is, do you think you will be able to position the powder over the primer ?

I don't believe the question is about powder positioning per se, rather it's whether the results over the chrono and/or on target are sensitive to it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Thanks again.
Have you tried magnum primers for a hotter flame?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Have you tried magnum primers for a hotter flame?

I have not, but note that the Lyman manual recommends them for light 3031 loads for my cartridge (30-30/32 WSP). But, keying off of Seafire's comment that he does not use magnum primers for his 30 gr of IMR 4198 loads prompted the question.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A lot of the times as you move towards "slower" powders they don't ignite as easily with reduced/minimum loads as "faster" powders.

I would be giving magnum primers a try.

In fact I have switched over to magnum primers in most everything whether large or small rifle to have less choices on the bench.

Yes, I do still have some standard primers and will use them up as I go.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I got excellent results using CCI magnum primers with H4198 in mild loads for a 308.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Thought about mentioning magnums but didn’t think they would make that much of a difference. Wouldn’t hurt to try them, yes.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Thanks again.

there is no need for mag primers, and the 4198 loads are not position sensitive. I've used it down to 15 grains in an 06, and there was no issues on ignition... under Obama and the primer availability issues, I even used both small and large pistol primers ( which were available always ).. those worked fine with 20, 25 and 30 grain charges of 4198, either IMR or Hodgdon, and also with RL 7.

Those powders aren't finicky.

Blue Dot is another alternative, and sadly SR 4759 is discontinued.. it was the best powder for this type of service.

Too many people over think this, and do so not really having any proven experience with it all. I've tested all this in all sorts of scenarios, and cartridges. I've also taken game at 250 to 300 yds, with these loads, with instant bang/flop results.

Less recoil, usually eliminate people flinching, making shot placement much easier. I've been with guys who have taken deer at 300 yds with their 300WM or their 7 Rem Mag. When they watch me get the same results with 30 grains of 4198, in about any caliber, it blows their minds... just match the bullet to one that will open up at lower velocities...

Use a ballistic tip, is a no brainer.. they will open up down to 1100 fps.

If you take a 22 or 6mm Ballistic Tip, that is a varmint bullet, slow it down to where impact is 2200 fps or lower, it will perform like a big game bullet....I've had then penetrate thru 5 to 8 inches of wood, to where I could see daylight on the other side, when using a tree as a back stop out on Forest Service land, when chronographing bullet loads.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Hey Seafire,

I've been on a lot of forums on lots of topics going back to the usenet days. Usually, I'm the newbie. On a few rare topics, I know a thing or two.

Over 30 some years online, I can probably count on both hands the number of times I've come across somebody with a level of experience heads and shoulders above the rest who has been willing to share their experiences and knowledge without resorting to being... well, you know. Sheldon Brown was one on a different topic (cycling and bike repair) and different protocol, may he rest in peace.

I wouldn't say I've been internet stalking you, but will admit to, for a few years, adding your handle to Google searches on reloading issues to find trusted advice faster.

I hope people on the Campfire understand how rare people like you are and how lucky this forum is to have you as a regular.

All of this to say, thanks for taking the time to follow up and share your experiences.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

142 members (222Sako, 1OntarioJim, 7887mm08, 6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, 12 invisible), 1,567 guests, and 935 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,371
Posts18,488,328
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.