Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I know a bunch of you guys have various types of kamado grills/smokers and I have a question.

Yesterday afternoon I came home and did a thorough ash cleaning on my BGE XL. Upon cleaning I noticed a hairline crack running across the bottom of the belly. The crack started at the bottom vent opening, ran across the bottom and stopped about 2/3 of the way up the backside. Not sure how long the crack has been there.(my BGE is less than 3 years old)

I googled the issue and apparently it is quite common with the XL version. Common enough that some people have replaced the entire bottom half of their Eggs several times.

Question #1.

Would you be worried about using the Egg with a crack like I described. I found mixed answers but plan on using my Egg and monitoring the crack until I can get a replacement bottom half. According to research BGE will warranty the bottom which is great as it's about a $550 piece of ceramic.

Question #2.

What type of nest/stand do you have under your Egg?

I have one of these under my Egg and it sits in a table(wood). When I was inspecting the crack I noticed that the rubber coating on the feet had got hot enough to melt and become disfigured. That kinda surprised me. Some people use a paver but I read that the paver isn't as good of dissipating heat as the metal stand.

https://www.jjgeorgestore.com/jjgeorge-universal-table-nest-heavy-duty-trivet/

Thanks for your thoughts.

GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Question #1.

Would you be worried about using the Egg with a crack like I described. I found mixed answers but plan on using my Egg and monitoring the crack until I can get a replacement bottom half. According to research BGE will warranty the bottom which is great as it's about a $550 piece of ceramic.

No. My brother bought an XL and the bottom cracked shortly after he got it home and used it. I believe inside three months.

He gave not a fugk because he stole the Egg for around $350. That was years ago and it is still going strong. He uses it weekly. Sometimes daily.

#2.

What type of nest/stand do you have under your Egg?

I have the L and use a piece of ceramic tile between the Egg and the wood table I built for it.

I think the biggest culprits in cracked Eggs come from people using some form of charcoal or wood that they should not be using. Or a fire starter that shouldn't be used.

But that is just a theory after getting more than one person to break that they used Kingsford or some form of lighter fluid.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Flave, thank you for the info. What you're saying matches up pretty close with my google research. Unless the crack grows and reaches all the way to the metal ring band where the lid meets the bottom I'm not overly worried. Just thinking worse case scenario I fall asleep after a cook, Egg cracks in half, catches table on fire and possibly catch our shack on fire type of worry...lol

Some people were saying they always leave a layer of ash on the bottom of their Egg and they surmised that the ash layer acted as a heat buffer and helped prevent cracks. I never get our Egg crazy hot and got to thinking maybe the metal stand wasn't up to snuff regarding weight distribution, etc..

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Should add the reason I did such a good ash cleaning was to make room for a newly received Kick Ash Basket and Can.

I heard that setup was the way to go for quick ash cleanup. One cook with it so far, we shall see.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Flave, thank you for the info. What you're saying matches up pretty close with my google research. Unless the crack grows and reaches all the way to the metal ring band where the lid meets the bottom I'm not overly worried. Just thinking worse case scenario I fall asleep after a cook, Egg cracks in half, catches table on fire and possibly catch our shack on fire type of worry...lol

Some people were saying they always leave a layer of ash on the bottom of their Egg and they surmised that the ash layer acted as a heat buffer and helped prevent cracks. I never get our Egg crazy hot and got to thinking maybe the metal stand wasn't up to snuff regarding weight dispersion, etc..

I don't see that first concern ever happening. Unless you shot the side of that thing with a cannon (or 6.5 Creed).

I think the ash theory is BS. I always clean mine down to the bottom and have never had an issue. But again, mine is the large and I know the bigger versions have the worst track record.

Only concern with a crack is moving or resale IMO. That and OCD.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave

And luckily none of those apply here.

I'm gonna forget about it and grill on.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The reason refractory materials fail is because they are heated too fast and too hot. A crack in an egg is not a failure. Just use it.
Depending on your locale moisture can also be an issue.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by deflave

And luckily none of those apply here.

I'm gonna forget about it and grill on.

You're a pard, pard.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 10at6
The reason refractory materials fail is because they are heated too fast and too hot. A crack in an egg is not a failure. Just use it.

I wonder if sometimes when i move the coals around that I get too many little un-burned pieces of charcoal through the screen and then they light up on the bottom and it gets too hot?

Sorry, these are rookie questions.

Looking through the bottom screen there is sometimes a pretty decent glow of sifted charcoal going.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I bought a Large BGE from a guy that didn't want to move it.

Everything was great. As I learned to use it, I bought a Kick Ash Basket. The instructions said I could discard the BGE metal grate that, previously, held the charcoal off the bottom.

My BGE cracked from one side to the other. BGE only warranties to the original owner.

I've later read of others having a similar issue with cracking when using the Kick Ash Basket and removing the metal grate.

I bought a BGE repair kit, followed instructions and first few cooks (pizza, at about 600 degrees) went well.

You can find the kit here: https://www.jjgeorgestore.com/big-green-egg-kamado-joe-ceramic-grill-repair-kit/

For what it is worth, I also have a Kamodo Joe Large. I consider them to be equal in performance. If the repair on the BGE fails in the future, I'll replace it with a Kamodo Joe.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I was just thinking the EXACT same thing about the Kick Ash Basket.

This is only the second time I've used it but noticed right away more actual charcoal sifted down.

I might go back to using the cast screen with the basket or forget the basket and just use the cast grate with the KAB ash pan.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 10at6

I wonder if sometimes when i move the coals around that I get too many little un-burned pieces of charcoal through the screen and then they light up on the bottom and it gets too hot?

Sorry, these are rookie questions.

Looking through the bottom screen there is sometimes a pretty decent glow of sifted charcoal going.

Charcoal that size in that quantity cannot generate enough heat to be of any consequence.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I was just thinking the EXACT same thing about the Kick Ash Basket.

This is only the second time I've used it but noticed right away more actual charcoal sifted down.

I might go back to using the cast screen with the basket or forget the basket and just use the cast grate with the KAB ash pan.

Pard.

OEM only pard.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
10 minutes ago.

Tripping me out pard.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

5 minutes ago.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
That egg is fired at 2000 degrees.

Most ya can get outta charcoal is bout 1400.

Crack can be caused by moisture gettin into the clay, then the temp comin up.

Or moisture gettin into the clay, then freezin.

Invest in a cover.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My large has had a crack exactly like your XL for almost ten years. It was my first egg so I reported it and they sent me a new one right away. It's still in the box all these years later. I just kept waiting for it to fail and it never has.

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thank you gentlemen for the peace of mind.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
My large has had a crack exactly like your XL for almost ten years. It was my first egg so I reported it and they sent me a new one right away. It's still in the box all these years later. I just kept waiting for it to fail and it never has.

+1

Sam we sold eggs for years and this is my exact experience with both BGE warranty & how the egg continues along just fine with small cracks. Issues only arise when/if the crack grows and reduces your ability to control air into the firebox. I’d def get the warranty on the new part so you have it even though you might not need it immediately.

Most issues arise with transporting the BGE’s. I competed on the KCBS circuit and travelled to competitions with my eggs and during that timeframe I cracked lots & lots of stuff - most was covered but not the plate setters. Now that my eggs just hang out on my patio nothing much ever goes wrong.

The steaks look great!

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I think the crack will be fine.

I got my Egg (large) for free when my pard moved, because it had a hairline crack in the side of the lower half. He’d gotten it for free when his pard moved, because of the crack.

I’ve replaced a few parts but the egg proper is doing great.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (007FJ, 1936M71, 1234, 17CalFan, 01Foreman400, 59 invisible), 2,475 guests, and 1,377 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,557
Posts18,473,057
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.