Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
miguel Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Getting some good pics of some nice bucks and bear but mostly nocturnal. Now that the full moon is done and the weather is cooler, the rut will pick up steam and anytime of day will be good in the woods.
I’m going back this Saturday-Sunday, then Veterans Day week. That week my oldest friend will be coming up to hunt. We haven’t hunted the Adirondacks together since before he went in the Navy back in 1987! [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Nice posts

M
miguel Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I don’t want to hijack the best way to make coffee thread from the Hunters Campfire, but a percolator on a wood stove is tough to beat. Add more grounds every day, brand doesn’t matter, boil until the coffee is strong enough to float a mule shoe, drink piping hot. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great thread.

Thanks for sharing.

Always enjoy seeing how folks hunt in different parts of the country.

A lot different than the plantation pine I hunt here in MS.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Following along - can't wait to hear this hunt unfolds.

Good luck to ya.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by miguel
I’m not going to be doing my Adirondack wall tent deer hunting trip this year

I'm putting you on ignore.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Alright, you're back off ignore. grin

Camp is where you make it.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Best of luck with your new camp.It has been a long time since i hunted up there,there was an old guy my friend knew that had a gunshop by where we hunted,Pumpkin Mt. Gunshop,but this was 1984 or so.

M
miguel Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by superlight17b
Best of luck with your new camp.It has been a long time since i hunted up there,there was an old guy my friend knew that had a gunshop by where we hunted,Pumpkin Mt. Gunshop,but this was 1984 or so.
I remember that place and the old guy. Cool little gun shop, and he was quite the gunsmith. I bought a Ruger 77 RS carbine in .358 from him.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Looks great Bill. Those dam porkies will chew on pretty much everything. I think I'd worry more about them than the bears! laugh

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Miguel-

Please keep the updates coming--I am jealous of you!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Army_PSG
Miguel-

Please keep the updates coming--I am jealous of you!
Ditto your doing it with class..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Cool thread!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great looking camp Miguel! I’m across Champlain & heading for Maine with this weeks snow to do some tracking. I’ll be wishing my camp was as nice!

Good luck this season!

M
miguel Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I was only able to get to camp for Saturday afternoon and Sunday this week. Everyone who isn’t a small business owner thinks you can make your own schedule, couldn’t be further from the truth. But you do what’s needed to keep the business rolling. Either way come Friday, I’m off for a week and I’ll deal with the fallout.
I’m still trying to get a feel for the property, and without OnX and a compass, it would be impossible. The property consists of two distinct types of terrain, ridges and small mountains that are covered primarily with young hardwoods, primarily beech, and thickets of berry briers. All of this has been logged quite heavily in the past, and the scars are still fresh.
Then there’s the creek bottoms. Jungle like spruce thickets that are nearly impossible to walk through. Every once in a while you’ll hit a peat bog that is a blast navigating. Basically bedding and feeding areas. Bed and security in the thickets, feed in the hardwoods. As the rut progresses more time in the hardwoods chasing does. The big woods is always a guessing game, deer movement changes daily. In my wandering this weekend I found as much moose sign as I did deer. This really blows my mind, as moose were non existent here 40 years ago. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

M
miguel Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I found this signpost rub and placed a stand nearby. There’s a great trail leading out of the spruces into the open hardwood here. I have never been much of a stand hunter in the woods, but it is worth a try, especially when the sign looks so good.
I tried rattling and grunting this weekend to no avail, but I’ll keep at it. I have a feeling it will pay off.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
When I had a place in the Southern Tier, the bucks started chasing 11/6-11/12, like clockwork. I bowhunted the swamps and tried to be in my stand as much as possible at that time. Paid off, too.
Did you add a bear tag? Best $50 I ever spent.
A little bit farther west these days (~2K miles), but we still enjoyed a tent camp this year, complete with percolator on the wood stove. Good luck to you.

The Rifle is the Weapon of Democracy
M
miguel Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M

These cellular trail cams are great, but they can make it almost unbearable not being in the woods. One of the other club members supposedly has mountain lion pics. There have been scores of sightings over the past 20 years, but NYS DEC refuses to acknowledge their existence. If they don’t exist, I guess it can’t be much of a crime to shoot one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow, that's real deer hunting!

Last edited by 1911a1; 11/06/23.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Oh heck yea. Very cool

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1minute, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,392 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,540
Posts18,472,850
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.