Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by NMHTR32
I wouldn't use stabil, I've seen it ge crusty in the bottle. That can't be good. I've used Lucas fuel stabilizer in my small engines for the last 5 years and has worked great.
No issues after storing.

Good to know.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I use Startron, my boat guy says it's better than stabil but don't mix them together

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I use PRI-G for fuel storage ,had a Honda 2000,sat for two years with that in it,started right up.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by smarquez
Originally Posted by dale06
I have a side by side that’s relatively new, less than 50 miles on it. It’s been parked for six weeks with a near full tank of non ethanol gas and it may not get started till next spring.

Should I put stabil in the gas tank and run it some to get that stabil in the system?
I don't see the need if it's non-eth. I left some avgas (non eth) in a dirt bike for 5 months and all that was left was the oil in the carb float bowel. This carb is new and looked new when I wiped the oil out. The oil still had a good blue tint to it like when it comes out of the bottle.

If Eth Free is available

Why not use it ?

Pure gasoline & 88 Octane here

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Non-eth is readily available here but it's very expensive. Even so, I use it in every engine that's not in a car. It adds to the price of a day's UTV trail riding but it's cheaper than hauling the thing to town for repairs when it clogs up.

If you don't know where to find it, check this site: PURE-GAS.ORG
They don't have all the stations that carry it because it's generated by customer updates but they do show a lot of them.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
There is no need for Eth free in a modern, fuel injected 4 wheeler or SxS. My Ranger XP 1000 sits for 6-7 months of the year, every year, and it's never had any eth free, or fuel stabilizer added to it. Fires right up and goes to work every summer just fine.

Last edited by 2five7; 11/05/23.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Ethanol gas is a death sentence to anything with a carburetor. Ethanol free gas and a good fuel stabilizer in all my small engines. Bought a Swisher tow behind brush hog and they recommended Stabil.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 2five7
There is no need for Eth free in a modern, fuel injected 4 wheeler or SxS. My Ranger XP 1000 sits for 6-7 months of the year, every year, and it's never had any eth free, or fuel stabilizer added to it. Fires right up and goes to work every summer just fine.
You're in a very small minority in thinking that.

― George Orwell

T
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I'm starting to think he's right, and that the rest of us are stuck on all the troubles carb passages & gaskets have caused us.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Untreated E10 gummed up the FI system of my motorcycle. My ‘last ride’ caught me off guard and I didn’t have time to switch over to ethanol free and treat it.

I think E10 is fine as long as you go through it regularly. If it sits, it’s bad.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Eth dissolves stuff, like plastic, rubber, varnish, etc. Then as it moves that crud through injectors and tiny carb passages, they clog up.

― George Orwell

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Am I? You think everyone that lives in a snow state, and parks their RZR for months on end uses eth free? They don't. They park it, then fire it up in the spring and go ride. Any fuel injected gas engine made in the last 20 years is designed for E10.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Yeah, I pretty much don't give a [bleep] on anything fuel injected. Have to fight everything else. Latest being a pressure washer that spends the winter inside.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My Honda snowblower manual said that it was okay to use ethanol fuel, but what cured me from ever using ethanol fuel in a small engine again was that the muffler was heated orange during a snow blowing. That can't be good for that piston I figured and it has been non-ethanol 89 octane regular (regular has a lower flash point than premium) from Fleet Farm with Seafoam ever since in all my small engines. I have not seen that muffler that hot ever again.

I was talking to a John Deere dealer down in Milwaukee once and he said that 90% of the lawn tractor engine problems that they repair are fuel related to the Milwaukee blended gas that they have down there. He said that when he visits his daughter out of that area, he takes his gas cans and fills them with good gas.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
More than 1 small engine man has told me that ethanol is what keeps him in business.

― George Orwell

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by steveredd1
I use Startron, my boat guy says it's better than stabil but don't mix them together
GOOD STUFF !!

"not too grumpy"
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I buy non-ethanol gas at my local Buc-ees for all my small engines, welder and chainsaws. I put Stabil in the can at time of purchase. The regular Stabil says it can be used with 4-stroke and 2-cycle mixes. So, I can use the same gas when I mix up my chainsaw fuel. The Stabil 360 does not specifically list using with 2-cycle mixes. I'm not sure about some of the other fuel stabilizers and compatibility with 2-cycle mixes.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by dale06
I have a side by side that’s relatively new, less than 50 miles on it. It’s been parked for six weeks with a near full tank of non ethanol gas and it may not get started till next spring.

Should I put stabil in the gas tank and run it some to get that stabil in the system?

I would, and top off the tank when you're done.

To keep it simple I buy alchohol free gas and add stabil everytime I fill the 5 gal gas cans that I use for all my small 4-stroke stuff - ATVs, generators, lawn tractor, brush mower, snowblower, etc.

If I used gas with ethanol in small engines I'd drain fuel tank and run the engine dry before storing.

For 2-stroke stuff like chainsaws and trimmers I use alchohol free gas for the mix but no stabil.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have used Seafoam in all my small engines, my 4 wheeler, and storage gas for years with no problems.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 58 invisible), 2,499 guests, and 1,429 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,173
Posts18,484,607
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.