Print Thread
Hop To
C
ctw Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
When these first out I thought the ambidextrous straight pull bolt was interesting saw the price and said yep no.
Won one in a drawing last week so will get to see how it shoots. They put a high dollar vortex on it as part of the package and then some of the cheapest rings available. Will have to switch them out and put a mountain sling on it.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/18625707/savage

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Nice! I had the same thought when I saw the price. I can't wait to hear how it shoots and how you like it.

Last edited by FSJeeper; 07/30/23.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I had a straight pull Mauser 96 in 270 that they made for 2 years in 1996/1997, and I have to say the straight pull on it was very slick.

Had the same thoughts as you when the Impulse came out.. nice, but not paying that much unless it has XX walnut and gold inlays. grin

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ctw
When these first out I thought the ambidextrous straight pull bolt was interesting saw the price and said yep no.
Won one in a drawing last week so will get to see how it shoots. They put a high dollar vortex on it as part of the package and then some of the cheapest rings available. Will have to switch them out and put a mountain sling on it.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/18625707/savage

6.5 ?

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I was interested in one of these but haven't heard much. Good luck with it.

IC B2

C
ctw Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
300 win

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by ctw
300 win

Mag I'm guessing. How are the WSMs doing? I don't keep up with the new fads anymore.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
Originally Posted by ctw
300 win

Mag I'm guessing. How are the WSMs doing? I don't keep up with the new fads anymore.

I think the 300 WSM is hanging in there and the 270 WSM has a limited but dedicated following as well. The rest of them you can hardly give away. Especially the WSSM's that are super short and fat and don't feed very well.

The 300 WSM was introduced 22 years ago so hardly a "new fad" anymore. grin

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ctw
300 win

Glad to hear it ain't a 6.5, I'm a big fan of the 300 Win Mag.

Old school...

~Admiral Yamamoto~

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Nice, I'm looking forward to your review CTW!

I have one that I bought used, because it had fallen out of the stratosphere price range, and came set up with a serviceable scope. It's the "hog hunter" model I think, with an 18" heavy varmint barrel in .308

The thing is stoopit-heavy, silly really..., I thought the sling was looped around the hardcase when I first picked it up,. but it wasn't.

I put 3 careless rounds of the fiirst 308 ammo I picked up (Rem factory 150g) through it to check the scope set and function, which printed an easy 1-1/2" at 100 yds.

The action motion is very positive feel, but a bit heavy, (I tried to stay in firing position to work the bolt, as advertised). I could reach the bolt throw easily, and stay on my scope picture, which wasn't true of the Mauser 1996 straight pull model I recently sent down the road. It's a different sort of motion than a shouldered lever action or the traditional stay-shouldered open-palm turn-bolt move, but I'm sure one could get very quick with practice.

I don't think I'll get used to carrying it around with how heavy it is (..with an 18" barrel , no less), it would be ideal for bean-field sniping from a platform stand. There's a fellow on the other Savage forum who is all-in on experimenting with Impulse switch barrel.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by JeffG
Nice, I'm looking forward to your review CTW!

I have one that I bought used, because it had fallen out of the stratosphere price range, and came set up with a serviceable scope. It's the "hog hunter" model I think, with an 18" heavy varmint barrel in .308

The thing is stoopit-heavy, silly really..., I thought the sling was looped around the hardcase when I first picked it up,. but it wasn't.

I put 3 careless rounds of the fiirst 308 ammo I picked up (Rem factory 150g) through it to check the scope set and function, which printed an easy 1-1/2" at 100 yds.

The action motion is very positive feel, but a bit heavy, (I tried to stay in firing position to work the bolt, as advertised). I could reach the bolt throw easily, and stay on my scope picture, which wasn't true of the Mauser 1996 straight pull model I recently sent down the road. It's a different sort of motion than a shouldered lever action or the traditional stay-shouldered open-palm turn-bolt move, but I'm sure one could get very quick with practice.

I don't think I'll get used to carrying it around with how heavy it is (..with an 18" barrel , no less), it would be ideal for bean-field sniping from a platform stand. There's a fellow on the other Savage forum who is all-in on experimenting with Impulse switch barrel.
Time to get the Dremel out and put some spiral flutes in that big bad barrel!

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
A guy in Canada in 1905 built the best straight pull up to now with a 7mm (.287) cartridge that won and killed everything.

Didn't weigh a lot either.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IMO only the Blaser is superior.

Last edited by armchair; 08/03/23.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
One of my local sporting goods stores has them for 999.99. In 308win and 6.5 creed. Camo stock too.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I have a M1910 Sporting model in the safe. Haven't shot it, but it is the nicest to shoulder that I have ( including my 2 1899s, A &C).

I don't have too many guns, I just need a bigger safe.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (1OntarioJim, 6mmCreedmoor, 41rem, 16penny, 35, afisher, 10 invisible), 1,618 guests, and 903 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,494
Posts18,472,107
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.