Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
My google-foo is lacking. Does Christensen make/offer a reduced length of pull stock on any of their models? I found the web page where they offer their stocks ala carte. However, it only shows 13.5" LOP.

Daughter is co-opting SIL's Christensen Ridgeline 28 Nosler. Looking for a shorter length of pull. Thinking a Christensen FFT stock shortened to 12.5" LOP might be the ticket. Has anyone on 24HCF shortened a Christensen stock ?

GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Don't take this the wrong way but so many here seek technical advise of others while never going to the originating source FIRST. Begs the question, did you contact Christensen? There is literally no rifle stock that can not have its length of pull adjusted but give the manufacturer/maker first dibs at providing the solution.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
My dad wanted to buy a ridgline fft earlier this year. He contacted Christensen about shortening the stock and they claimed it couldn’t be done. I’m sure someone could do it though.

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Offshore, no offense taken. I will call when they open up in a couple hours. Daughter asked after they closed. And broad enough audience here on the 'Fire, I figured someone may have already gone down that path. At a minimum, I could Dremel diamond wheel the stock 1" shorter and epoxy a 3D insert into the cavity to fit the recoil pad. However, over the years I have learned to look for the "easy button" before I jump into a new project. smile

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Should Christensen come back with a no. Then you could just cut the stock at a 10 degree angle using a 10" fine tooth carbide blade on a power mitre box saw. Trace the exterior on a 3/4" thick hardwood block and then cut inside the line, then taper the hardwood block to fit flush, rough up the inside of the synthetic and acraglass bed it into the butt, drill pad holes using the supplied recoil pad pattern, install a grind to fit recoil pad, that has been ground on a recoil pad jig. Done. A smith worth his salt can do the job in minutes, giving the extra time for the acraglass to setup.

But if this is to be a shared gun, you will need at least two stocks, or even better, two guns.

My wife takes 2" less length of pull, so her stocks are on her guns.

Most companies do offer a youth model. So should have a short stock for that model gun.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Spoke to a rep at CA. Their standard stocks are 13.25" to 13.50". Their adjustables go down to 12.75". If I wanted a full inch or more reduction in LOP, he recommended that I look at an aftermarket stock like Grayboe or McM with a LA 700 footprint. He mentioned that if I went ahead and purchased a CA stock, he would recommend cutting down a standard Ridgeline stock vs an FFT stock. He felt that it would be a better outcome. Could not get a clear explanation why...

So, off to see how much the daughter wants to spend... smile

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Spoke to a rep at CA. Their standard stocks are 13.25" to 13.50". Their adjustables go down to 12.75". If I wanted a full inch or more reduction in LOP, he recommended that I look at an aftermarket stock like Grayboe or McM with a LA 700 footprint. He mentioned that if I went ahead and purchased a CA stock, he would recommend cutting down a standard Ridgeline stock vs an FFT stock. He felt that it would be a better outcome. Could not get a clear explanation why...

So, off to see how much the daughter wants to spend... smile

You'll probably have just as much money, or more, than you would just buying a Tikka. There was a compact Tikka listed in the classifieds here, if you want to save your money and leave the CA as it is.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Have not shortened a Chrisensen stock but have shortened a ton of other carbon fiber/synthetic stocks and they are easier than doing wood stocks. Cut with a compound miter saw, bevel the pad, and use quick-setting 2 stage epoxy of your choice (or use loctite 416) to attach the pad.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have lengthened the stocks on all of my bolt action rifles and my shotguns, both wood or plastic or composite stocks. For the hollow stocks I basically used the proceedure that Rapier outlined, fitting and epoxying a hardwood block inside the butt of the stock for the recoil pad screws, then grinding a new Limbsaver or Hogue pad to fit. For shorting the LOP, you could grind the original recoil pad to fit.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (808outdoors, 35, 6mmCreedmoor, 21, 1Longbow, 10 invisible), 14,352 guests, and 1,045 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,108
Posts18,541,929
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.