Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
I'd rather have one Jeff Cooper on my side than one hundred ordinary men.
Cooper could've certainly beat 100 ordinary men in a bloviation contest.

laugh

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
GB1

M
M16 Online Content
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
I enjoyed his writing. I didn’t agree with everything but it did cause you to think about why you didn’t.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wasn't the concept of the Scout Rifle to be a general-purpose rifle? A rifle that goes anywhere with you, in the truck, tractor, ATV, stacked behind the backdoor, a hunting gun of opportunity more so than a dedicated hunting rifle, an SHTF bug-out rifle, a self-defense firearm that allows for both short-range engagements but that if necessary you can control your environment at a longer distance rifle?

In our era doesn't that describe a 14.5" - 18" AR15-type rifle with BUIS and an LPVO? For many the standard 5.56 works in that role but there are plenty of other cartridges with more horsepower readily available in the AR15 if that better meets your needs. The same general concept that evolved from a bolt action carbine with forward mounted scope to the AR carbine with low-powered variable optic.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thank you for the Link.

A thought on Cooper - he passed in 2006. His thoughts and ideas - well documented - still spark interest and discussion about the man, his life and his work. That is enough for me.

As to the Scout - they basically forethought the GPR/LPVO concept all the way back in the 70s.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I got to know Jeff in his last years, partly because he wrote a favorable review of my book The Life of the Hunt (a collection of hunting stories, not articles) in his G&A column. At first we corresponded about various things--back in the day when that meant typing letters, rather than e-mailing.

His letters were always interesting, partly because he had done a LOT of stuff in his lifetime--but he was a little arrogant about his various experiences, and in some ways he was justified.

Eventually met him personally, and we had some even more interesting conversations--though the one time we planned to get together in Montana, on an outfitted hunt he went on around 50 miles from here, it didn't happen due to major blizzard, which closed the mountain pass between us. But di get to talk to him some on the phone--which was our last conversation before he passed away.

Whether in letters or conversation, he was always interesting.

I saw him at an NRA Convention in Charlotte years ago. My wife and I were not close to him but I felt his stare locked on me so I went and chatted with him. I think he was a unique man and I respected him very much. None of us are the same so I give Mr. Cooper the credit and respect he deserved.

IC B2

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by bobmn
"Some have suggested Cooper and others were mildly coerced by editors into writing strongly opinionated pieces..."
Lo: You have never met the man have you?

lol! He was an interesting guy.

Retired cat herder.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
I'd rather have one Jeff Cooper on my side than one hundred ordinary men.
Cooper could've certainly beat 100 ordinary men in a bloviation contest.
No he would not have beat 100 ordinary men in a bloviation contest. While he could talk at length, it was not in an empty way (I bet you had to look up the meaning of that word too, when you first heard it!), but had substantial substance in what he said. Now I can understand that some people don't fully comprehend why he thought the way he did, but that doesn't mean he wasn't right.

Last edited by Riflehunter; 11/07/23.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

209 members (257 mag, 160user, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 21 invisible), 1,775 guests, and 987 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,347
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.